PDA

View Full Version : Node editing question

Randy Bogardus
01-17-2014, 04:21 PM
New user here learning Vcarvepro. A question about node editing: When placing nodes on my work piece, in some cases I get what I expect, nodes. In other cases I get what looks like a thick, solid black line with a green square dot at one end. What I want to do is node edit the entire work piece at one time. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

Randy

steve_g
01-17-2014, 04:31 PM
Randy…
The green square is the starting node of the line or vector you have selected. You can only edit one vector at a time… Connecting all vectors together is the only way you can edit all at once, but that’s seldom practical as they must not cross each other. BTW you can edit which node is the starting one.
SG
Feel free to post a screen shot of your issue to help us better understand your question.

Rob Gunn
01-17-2014, 04:42 PM
Randy, I learned a lot from the tutorials that Vectric offers. After 3 plus years I still go back and refresh my skill by using the tutorials. This is the link: http://support.vectric.com/training-material/vcarve-pro

Randy Bogardus
01-17-2014, 05:46 PM
Thanks guys. Yes, I'm going through both Vectric and SB tutorials on an ongoing basis. Often and not surprising, all of the nuances are hard to find. The specifics of my question are likely in there somewhere but finding it....well,........:) Meantime, I'll figure out how to get a screen shot posted. Thanks again!

Randy

phil_o
01-18-2014, 12:50 PM
I was recently asked to replicate an old sign. The sign is for a company in Massachusetts that makes the paper for all of our currency. As you can see the curve is repeated in each quadrent. I started by tracing one corner with pencil and paper, then scanned the tracing on a flatbed scanned and imported the image into Aspire.
The picture label Manual Trace shows; 1. the Jpeg that was imported, 2. the Bitmap trace that was done with the Fit Vectors to Bitmap command, and 3. the vectors as I traced manually.
The quality of the vectors in image 2 is poor because the jpeg is of poor line quality but it was the best I could do with my scanner.
The picture labeled Curve with Nodes shows; 1. the first step in manual tracing, a connected series of straight vectors, 2. the 1st line has been converted to an arc and the remaining three have been converted to beziers, 3. shows the arc and beziers bent by adjusting the curves with the node handles to fit the bitmap. The vector in #3 needs some final tweaking. I would convert the arc to a bezier to fine tune that part of the curve, I left it as it to show the process..
The final vector is very smooth and free flowing with a minimum number of nodes. Fewer nodes will give better results when machining the part.

Brady Watson
01-18-2014, 05:11 PM
That's the money shot right there kids - Drawing like a Pro & not a Schmo:

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=19811&d=1390067385

-B