PDA

View Full Version : Setting up for wholesale

genek
01-17-2014, 07:48 PM
I HAVE BEEN HELPING SOME SHOP BOTTERS THIS WEEK WITH SALES SUGGESTIONS AND INVENTORY CONTROL.

I run Quick Books. I know there are other good book keeping programs out there, I just find Quick Books easier than some of the other.

Quick books keeps track of what it cost me to make my product, it lets me know when I am low of a item.
it tracks my customers purchases, and shows me which items are my best movers.
I do the invoice and it will deduct inventory from my list. Each Friday I check the inventory to see what I am low of or what I will need to make the following week. This keeps me from being to low on a item to be able to fill a customers order. Product that moves supper fast I will double the inventory so that it gives me time to make other products with out running out. Friday is also when I pull wood for next weeks runs. At this time I check the moisture of the wood and if it is ok it is put into positions to start processing Monday. Monday, I process the wood and start cutting out product. As I replenish that product I add the amount back into quick books. This way as I pull orders I know if I have enough to fill my order or not. inventory control is very important in doing wholesale business.
Customers want their product shipped on time and when they need it.
If you do not have build up inventory you are always fighting fires.
It is much cheaper and less work setting up to run one product till you reach a level that will allow you to use out of that bin for several months than to make each product as the order comes in. As ones wholesale orders increase ones inventory needs to also increase to keep up with the orders.
Currently most of my product levels are set to 100 with some products at 150 to 500. We wholesale right at 500 honey dippers per month. So I need to maintain at least that. I pull and ship on Thursday. I use this time to also clean up the shop and do any needed maintenance.
We are coming up on our first three shows of the year. I will need to double my inventory to accommodate two of the shows. I know how busy I will be at the KY Market and the Indiana show should do better since most of our product will never have been seen their. My normal inventory levels of 100 must be at 200 levels by March 1.
Shows that I know are huge product movers I normally will gear up to have extra product this way I do not run out or get to low as to have to make my customers wait on product.
Customers want their product shipped in a timely manner, they will wait sometimes but most will start looking for someone else to provide them the same product if you make a habit of being late on shipments. Customers will stay with someone who delivers on time when they promise even if someone comes along with a lower price.
customer relationship is very important learn your customers, know their names, their birthday etc. send Christmas, birthday cards etc. They like you being loyal and thoughtful and will reward you with better spots in their store and more orders.
Treat each customer like they are the only customer that you have and as if your whole life depends on them being happy.

Roy Harding
01-18-2014, 03:20 PM
I also use Quickbooks for similar reasons.

It's important to note for those considering it that the inventory function is only available with the "Manufactures and Wholesale Edition", which is somewhat more pricey than the basic version of Quickbooks.

genek
01-18-2014, 03:30 PM
[QUOTE=Roy Harding;158559]I also use Quickbooks for similar reasons.

It's important to note for those considering it that the inventory function is only available with the "Manufactures and Wholesale Edition", which is somewhat more pricey than the basic version of Quickbooks.[/QU

GOOD POINT AND PRO IS BETTER WHICH IS WHAT I USE.
THANKS FOR YOUR COMMENT DID NOT THINK TO MENTION THAT.

Roy Harding
01-18-2014, 05:17 PM
I use the "Premier" edition and have for four years (give or take) now. I can't remember what prompted me to upgrade to the Premier from the Pro, it certainly wasn't the payroll function, as I don't need that. I do recall that there was some feature that I thought I needed which justified the extra bucks.

Bottom line for new users - check out the functionality of whatever version you are considering, and compare the different versions - the price difference can be startling, but then again so are the differences in features.

MogulTx
01-19-2014, 11:58 AM
I use QB Pro edition. It does pretty well for me, but they are now at a poiont that they are charging 425 per year for automatic updates to the payroll tax deductions. ANd they just called and informed us that they are phasing out the Standard User and we will now be getting charged for the next level up ( have already forgotten the name of the next level)...

They have cheesed me off in that they will also not support the payroll function after about 2.5-3 years after release. So- in 17+ years of being in business, I have been basically forced to buy new software repeatedly. I have probably bought the software 5-6 times. We just loaded the 2014 version a couple months ago. But I am looking around to see what other programs are available... If anyone has suggestions, I am certainly open to hearing them.

Let me know what your impressions are of the other software programs and what they charge for their "extras".

Thanks,

Monty

genek
01-19-2014, 12:40 PM
i use qb pro edition. It does pretty well for me, but they are now at a poiont that they are charging 425 per year for automatic updates to the payroll tax deductions. And they just called and informed us that they are phasing out the standard user and we will now be getting charged for the next level up ( have already forgotten the name of the next level)...

They have cheesed me off in that they will also not support the payroll function after about 2.5-3 years after release. So- in 17+ years of being in business, i have been basically forced to buy new software repeatedly. I have probably bought the software 5-6 times. We just loaded the 2014 version a couple months ago. But i am looking around to see what other programs are available... If anyone has suggestions, i am certainly open to hearing them.

Let me know what your impressions are of the other software programs and what they charge for their "extras".

Thanks,

monty
I have not updated since 2009 no need to... I do not do my taxes so all I do is save back up file and take it to our cpa and he does the taxes for us.
I quit up dating after our account said there was no need for me to do that. Older version import into his newer version of quick books.

MogulTx
01-19-2014, 12:49 PM
Eugene

Understood. But I have employees, and to ensure tat the appropriate amounts are withheld for payroll impounded, it is necessary to have accurate multipliers in the payroll function. Due to this, we have to upgrade (because try refuse to continue to serve the older versions) and then we have to pay for the payroll updates on an annual basis. It is a small form of robbery... Which is why I am looking to see what alternatives might be available... Other than this, it is a pretty good program.

BTW: for those who are like Eugene, and don't care if they have a payroll function: the lowest prices I usually find are at Sam's Club.

But I'd still like to look into other software...

genek
01-19-2014, 01:23 PM
eugene

understood. But i have employees, and to ensure tat the appropriate amounts are withheld for payroll impounded, it is necessary to have accurate multipliers in the payroll function. Due to this, we have to upgrade (because try refuse to continue to serve the older versions) and then we have to pay for the payroll updates on an annual basis. It is a small form of robbery... Which is why i am looking to see what alternatives might be available... Other than this, it is a pretty good program.

Btw: For those who are like eugene, and don't care if they have a payroll function: The lowest prices i usually find are at sam's club.

But i'd still like to look into other software...

i just run my customers and product control and let my cpa do the taxes and payroll... This way i am protected under his insurance...he prints the checks every two weeks and does the taxes and all i have to do is sign... I just send him the hours of each.

genek
01-20-2014, 08:57 PM
We decided to up date our Quick Books today.. We updated to the 2014 version of Quick books pro for $175.00 also found Quick books pro for 179.00 at Staples and Premier for $399.

ssflyer
01-21-2014, 05:43 PM
Since QuickBooks is moving to a cloud interface anyway, you might want to check out Wave (https://www.waveapps.com/). It is free and looks to be reasonably complete. It's aimed at businesses with 9 employees or less.

myxpykalix
01-21-2014, 08:51 PM
With all this hacking going on i don't think i would ever want to do all my business "on the cloud". It would seem you would want to keep all your financial info close to home because i guarantee you, if the government can get into these servers (and they can) they will check your bookkeeping to see if it matches up to your income tax.:eek:

Burkhardt
01-21-2014, 09:04 PM
... if the government can get into these servers (and they can) they will check your bookkeeping to see if it matches up to your income tax.:eek:

See the upside...it saves you a lot of time to do the tax returns or pay for an accountant :D