View Full Version : Praying soldier silhouette

rslaback
01-19-2014, 01:56 PM
My father is a vietnam vet and my mother would like me to make him a praying soldier memorial for their lawn. She likes this pattern best: http://www.sherwoodonline.com/item.asp?id=2299 but is open to any of them I believe.

Ideally I would like to cut this on the cnc but I am having a difficult time sourcing a vector file of it. I fear an image conversion is going to look crappy when blown up to 4 foot.

Does anyone have experience finding this in a vector format (or a huge jpg/bmp)? I'm not afraid of paying for the artwork, I just can't find it.

bleeth
01-19-2014, 06:10 PM
Ryan: This is an excellent opportunity for you to get practice in tracing smooth vectors to match a bitmap. I believe there is a how to tutorial either in vectric help or done by TJ at SB giving the basics. It will seem clumsy at first, but after getting the method down you will have benefited greatly.
You can create a small one in vectors and then enlarge the vectors with transform and they will stay clean.

signsbyjay
01-19-2014, 08:24 PM
That image is 47 by 40 from the web site. I don't believe it will be difficult to get a good image to cut from it.

Jump in and try, you may be very happy with your own results.

Jay

genek
01-19-2014, 08:33 PM
Mr. Slayback. when you get the pattern take it to Lynn imaging or some other large copy company that can copy large prints. have them to scan it in for you.. be sure to tell them that it is for your use only. have it put on a thumb drive for you. Explain that you will not be printing the pattern only tracing and using it to cut the pattern out with the cnc. With just a little practice you can be tracing patterns like a pro. If by chance you have problems with the trace send me the pattern and I will trace it for you for free.

my normal e-mail is eking1953@yahool.com

but you can do it. it just takes practice.

rslaback
01-19-2014, 11:32 PM
I wasn't quite clear about it before guys. My concern wasn't how to trace a vector in the software from the pattern if I bought it.

My concerns are:

-If I use a web image (already found in an electronic format) the image is small enough that it is likely to not include the details it should have when blown up to 4'.

-If I purchase the plan and get a full size detailed pattern I have no good way of getting it into a full size electronic version. In other words an image file that is full size.

bleeth
01-20-2014, 06:11 AM
Someone did a dxf of it on plasmaspider.com.

genek
01-20-2014, 09:55 AM
I wasn't quite clear about it before guys. My concern wasn't how to trace a vector in the software from the pattern if I bought it.

My concerns are:

-If I use a web image (already found in an electronic format) the image is small enough that it is likely to not include the details it should have when blown up to 4'.

-If I purchase the plan and get a full size detailed pattern I have no good way of getting it into a full size electronic version. In other words an image file that is full size.

I have had 4' x 8' pattern scanned in at Lynn Imaging and put on a thumb drive/flash drive no problem. then all you do is set your project up for a 4 x 8 sheet of ply wood and import the drawing. then you can trace. some patterns come in sections so you have to scan all four sections in align and then trace. I will help you if you have problems. Go to a local print shop... some have large flat bed copiers that can scan in the Lynn Imaging that I go to can handle up to a 5 x what ever length you have to scan into.

cowboy1296
01-20-2014, 11:23 AM
This is not exactly what you were asking for, but it might be something that you are Interested in. I have cut it twice and I came out great.
http://www.cncmilitaryemblems.com/

cowboy1296
01-20-2014, 01:04 PM
It came out great not me.