View Full Version : brush sander attachement

marcrunner
01-20-2014, 11:34 PM
Wondering if anyone has come across an attachment that would simulate an industrial brush sander for mdf carved reliefs? Picturing a larger sanding mop that could be chucked into the spindle and then toolpathed over top of the finished carving. This would be for simpler repeating pattern carvings like 3d wall panels. Any ideas? Marc

myxpykalix
01-21-2014, 01:46 AM
If you search youtube for legacywoodworking i have seen where they have chucked up a sanding mop and sanded a corbel. However that was sanding using the side of the mop. It sounds like you are looking for a option to sand something flat on the table with the bottom.

The first thing that pops in my head is if you could fashion a holder for a right angle grinder or right angle drill and attach a sanding mop so that it spins horizontally over your piece instead of vertically.

I'd be interested in seeing what you come up with because i'm getting ready to carve some panels for the front of a bar i'm making for my son out of mdf and will need to do the same thing.:eek:

Brady Watson
01-21-2014, 08:49 AM
These setups cost big bucks. If you really need it for production, then it is worth it. If you are a part timer or tire kicker - you probably won't be able to afford it or won't want to spend the money.

-B

marcrunner
01-21-2014, 10:46 AM
Jack,
That was my second question, is a spindle tolerant of tools hanging off of it like that? Not sure an unbalanced sanding mop would do the bearings any good, but figured I would ask.

Brady,
I am aware of a traditional industrial brush sander, where the product is passed under it much the same as a planer or drum sander. Is this what you were referring to? And yes, I guess you could consider me a tire kicker if I am someone that is interested in achieving a goal, with concerns and questions along the way.

I may also check into my area to see if there are any large brush sanders in the area that may be able to process my projects. Might be easier for sporadic use in all aspects.

myxpykalix
01-21-2014, 11:28 AM
I wouldn't advocate using a spindle for anything other then bits but i do think you could get yourself a cheap angle grinder or electric polisher or right angle drill (or regular drill) for less then $50 like at Big Lots and fashion your own sanding wheel. You may have to make your sanding wheel larger then the standard size because of the angle grinder. You could design the holder and cut it on your bot, attach it and have your own setup for less then $100.00.

I'm just guessing, had not put that much thought into it but you could do something on the cheap:eek:

myxpykalix
01-21-2014, 11:43 AM
I just saw this a "dome sanding mop", i think i'd want to find a lower grit for knocking of fuzzies and stuff. Not sure if this might work but you could check it out
http://www.amazon.com/Silverline-Dome-Sanding-100mm-Grit/dp/B002QRUGL8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1390322255&sr=8-2&keywords=sanding+mop

marcrunner
01-21-2014, 01:19 PM
Jack,
Thanks, will check into this, may even be able to toolpath the attachment to lightly follow the carving, rather than just a raster approach.

cowboy1296
01-21-2014, 02:23 PM
This is the one I am happy with. I doubled up a 4 inch mop and have it on my battery powered drill. I just started with 180 grit and like it better that the 220 grit i have been using.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GGg9wg9si0