View Full Version : Vertical clamping

waenfelys
01-23-2014, 03:17 PM
Hi all

I'm looking at moving across to a Shopbot. On my current machine, the cutter is able to overhang the bed so that I can engrave items on edge (see attached image).

Is this going to be easy to accomplish on a Bot?

Thanks

Simops
01-23-2014, 03:26 PM
Not on a Buddy unfortunately. A fixed table I believe so.....
The Shopbot is an excellent and capable low cost machine.....you won't be disappointed!

Cheers

Brady Watson
01-23-2014, 04:20 PM
Yes - On PRS4848 and larger tools. Many have done this for dovetails etc.

-B

srwtlc
01-23-2014, 04:54 PM
On PRS4848 and up, to gain more room, you can shift the rails further to one end (just so you can still travel just past the opposite end), or you could also purchase extensions or over length rails/racks.

waenfelys
01-23-2014, 05:07 PM
Thanks guys. Looks like I'll be able to sell my old machine!

curtiss
01-23-2014, 07:16 PM
It will depend on exactly where you locate the front edge of the bed in relation to the open end of the machine.

I am sure someone can give you a proper distance depending on what machine you purchase.

dlcw
01-23-2014, 08:49 PM
Hi all

I'm looking at moving across to a Shopbot. On my current machine, the cutter is able to overhang the bed so that I can engrave items on edge (see attached image).

Is this going to be easy to accomplish on a Bot?

Thanks

I am planning on doing something like this but with 8x12 and 6x12 solid blue pine and cedar fireplace mantels.

My plan is to use my bandsaw to slice a 1" piece off the front, carve it and then glue it back on exactly how it came off. Saw marks should line up making the seam virtually disappear.

I wonder if this same method could be used for your project? Slice with a clean, narrow kerf crosscut blade to get a super clean cut, do your carving/machining, then glue it back in place.

Just a thought.

bleeth
01-23-2014, 09:42 PM
Don't want to hijack but you totally got me with "blue pine" Don.
Is this what you are talking about? Looks fantastic-I want some!

http://sustainablebusinessoregon.com/articles/2012/06/sustainable-northwest-wood-debuts.html

MogulTx
01-24-2014, 09:10 AM
I run an indexer/lathe inside the arms on my machine all the time. There is not need for extensions unless you want to REALLY mill something with significant dimensions. Engraving like he showed in the attachment should require nothing more than an added table clamp and then leveling material parallel to the table and adjusting for Z height difference- and you are off to the races.

waenfelys
01-24-2014, 09:51 AM
Hi Mogul

Thanks for the reply. I've had a good look through the Forums now and spotted the attached setup. Is this what you mean?

zeykr
01-24-2014, 11:29 AM
Here's a picture from an older thread: http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12935

You can adjust the steel supports and table size on a fullsize machine to provide a larger overhang if needed.

dlcw
01-24-2014, 11:46 AM
Don't want to hijack but you totally got me with "blue pine" Don.
Is this what you are talking about? Looks fantastic-I want some!

http://sustainablebusinessoregon.com/articles/2012/06/sustainable-northwest-wood-debuts.html

Yes, Dave.

That is the stuff. It is really beautiful wood and makes for great projects. No strength but a lot of beauty. I finish with Deft oil finish which soaks deep into the wood and gives it a protective coating and a nice satin sheen.

bleeth
01-24-2014, 06:50 PM
Yep-I want some! Odds of finding it in my neck of the woods are probably zilch.

MogulTx
01-24-2014, 09:13 PM
Dave,

That should work.... My machine has a natural gap at the end, and I have mounted my indexer on a stand that is bolted up inside the gap--- so a clamp of any sort that fits and holds your stock should be fine! And the responses in between show that you can even use a forklift to support stock and mill it!
Be creative!

Monty

waenfelys
01-25-2014, 04:36 AM
Some great responses. Thanks chaps!