PDA

View Full Version : Long lasting DLC coated router bits on Amazon

routercoating
11-07-2009, 04:28 AM
I have list a few DLC coated router bits on Amazon. DLC coated bits last too long. In one North Caroline furniture component plant, more than 40,000 ft was cut on a Biessi Rover CNC router with one single bit.

One 3/8" down cut bit finished 3 truck loads - 3/4" MDF, 30 sheets in a bundle, 11 bundles in one truck load. E-mail me for details.

wberminio
11-07-2009, 11:47 AM
J
What is the DLC coated router bits?

routercoating
11-07-2009, 05:21 PM
Hope I do it right in answering your question: (copied from Wikipedia --search "DLC coating" )
Diamond-like carbon (DLC) exists in different forms of amorphous carbon materials that display some of the unique properties of diamond. They are usually applied as coatings to other materials that could benefit from some of those properties.

In one test, the results can be termed as " too good to be true". If the forum allows private contacts, you can e-mail me. I will try to learn more about the rules of this forum.

I have tried Zirconium, Chromium, Silicon, and many other materials before, but find DLC seems work better. Others have found otherwise.

cabnet636
11-07-2009, 05:43 PM
are you willing to let a few of the cabinetmakers on the forum "beta test" a bit so we can open doors for you if this is good, i have been beta testing bits for southeast tool (taper ballnose) and have done a good bit for bosch and others over the years, guys like ermino, gary campbell, ed lang would be a good start

jim

routercoating
11-07-2009, 06:14 PM

You can find this picture by searching "DLC coating" or "DLC coated router bit" on Amazon.

Gary Campbell
11-07-2009, 06:27 PM
My guess is that "J" sells more bits than he cuts with! Move this to the For Sale section

routercoating
11-07-2009, 06:28 PM
Yes, Jim.

(1) You can buy from my post in Amazon. If you are not satisfied, I will fully refund your money.

(2) I can send you bits with invoice. If you are not happy with the performance in 30 days, send me back the bits. You owe me nothing. I will go back to cook more chemicals.

routercoating
11-07-2009, 06:38 PM
Gary,
Tell me what do you use. If I have the item you are using already made. I will send you one for testing.

If you do not like my bit, trash it for me. No question asked.

If it works better than the one you are currently using, you pay me then. You write a review on the forum 5 times for me.

I am quite confident this bit will change your view about coating. Try it. I have done some nanocomposite coating. For woodworking application, this DLC coating may be just right.

gene
11-07-2009, 11:23 PM
I have tried Zirconium, Chromium, Silicon, and many other materials before, but find DLC seems work better. Others have found otherwise.

This sounds like " individual results may vary"
Gary
Test one and let us all know the results..

cabnet636
11-12-2009, 09:30 AM
i got a call from the fellow who is interested in us trying these bits, he sounded as sincere as any i have met and i will give his bits a try and report back!!

jim

gene
11-12-2009, 09:47 PM
Hey Jim,
Get a few and give them the once over. Be objective and honest, If it is better than the rest let us know , and in it is not as good let us know that too. How is the insert tooling working out for ya, I figured that i would give a few weeks before i asked . When is the next southern boy meeting? Gene

cabnet636
11-12-2009, 10:44 PM
sittin in the holiday inn dallas at the vectric user group, will report tommorrow

jim

cabnet636
11-12-2009, 10:44 PM
sittin in the holiday inn dallas at the vectric user group, will report tommorrow

jim

Gary Campbell
11-12-2009, 10:48 PM
Jim...
Got that phone call. Report coming.
Gary

Gary Campbell
01-07-2010, 04:41 PM
Guys...
As an update. Jerome sent me a 3/8 MC bit to test coated as in the picture above.

Bit was very sharp. Cuts very clean and seems quieter than the one I replaced. I experienced only a small amount of "scream" when making 90's at slow speed which is normal as these bits are made to move. Edge quality is as good as any I have used and better than the discount compressions I buy by the dozen.

I cut dozens of dados both 1/4 and 3/8 deep and could not see a chip or blemish on the face edges.

Chip evacuation is very good for a mortise grind and bit has a smooth throaty sound when cutting. My dados were cut at 360 ipm and outlines at 400 and 480 ipm in PF Maple plywood. There seems to be no brown burn residue sticking to the bit after 15 sheets cutting.

I did the Amazon search and if I hit the correct site these bits are $48. Didnt pay attention to shipping. They are more expensive than my goto brand by $18 each. I get between 40 and 45 sheets out of them. I am only up to 15 sheets on this one, but will leave it in until it is shot. Dollar for dollar I will need to cut 65 sheets with this bit before it has an equal per sheet cost with my go to brand. My guess is that I average around 120 lft of cut per sheet. Time will tell if I get to the 40,000 mentioned above. If I get to 10,000 I will buy them as they are cheaper per sheet than what I now use.
More to come, Gary

coach
01-07-2010, 06:46 PM
thanks Gary.
What bits are your go to ones

David

Gary Campbell
01-07-2010, 07:54 PM
David...
Lets save that for another thread.
Gary

eaglesplsh
01-08-2010, 01:25 AM
Hey Gary...

I've been looking for someone to post a rough estimate on how many feet of cutting one can expect to get out of a bit when everything is dialed in properly.

I use a 3/8" mortise compression for cutting 3/4" thick PF Maple, Baltic birch, and MDF. Most of my parts are a lot smaller than you cabinet guys are making, so comparing number of sheets/bit isn't relevant.

When you said that your averaging "120 lft of cut per sheet," does that number count a 1' long through cut made in 2 passes as 2 lft of cutting?

Just curious to see how I'm making out these days.

harryball
01-08-2010, 12:47 PM
Scroll to the bottom of the thread... The admins can move my post to this thread if they like.

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/15719/48474.html?1261615492

Addtional information, I've been cutting with the 1/4" bit. I'd have to do the math but I've cut around 500' of 1/2" ply in a single pass. Seems fine so far. I'd guess I generally get about 2500' or so from a bit, if not more. I really have never guaged it. I know the last bit I ran about 60 sheets with it and I cut about 40' per sheet. In Kirk's words "Is that a lot?" Beats me, I just know I keep cutting until something doesn't look or sound right.

If you get the Star Trek reference... well there's no hope for you. :-)

/RB

Gary Campbell
01-08-2010, 06:08 PM
Russ...
More or less... The real number is probaly around 180 for our dadoed cabinet parts. I figured a sheet full of large parts and did account for the 2 passes, but didnt really round up for a sheet full of small ones.

Based on that, 42.5 sheets at 180 ft/sheet would yield 7650 linft/bit. In my case that 255 lin ft per bit dollar. Thats how I find out what the best value in a bit is. Sometimes the most expensive ones are actually the cheapest to use.
Gary

harryball
01-11-2010, 10:26 AM
My post above was moved to the wrong thread. It should go in the thread started by Keith.

I have not tried these DLC coated bits.

/RB

cabnet636
01-29-2010, 06:34 AM
i have been using these bits on melamine and plywood kinda sporadically as work has been diverse, i am sure i am over 100 sheets and the bits are still sharp.

r call me again sorry i did not get the last call, gary did call me to let me know

bits are good!!

jim

Gary Campbell
02-18-2010, 08:10 PM
Update...
I have now cut 68 sheets of 3/4" plywood with this bit and it is still going strong. Has just lost the "razor" edge only a new bit has. I will keep cutting until edge quality deteriorates.
Gary

cabnet636
02-18-2010, 09:05 PM
i have cut three break rooms in melamine 36 sheets and bit still has a way to go, is there a site we can use to purchase how do you market them

jim

routercoating
02-20-2010, 02:50 AM
Gary and Jim,

Thank you both for trying these diamond-like-carbon coated router bits.

Please search "DLC coated router bit" on Amazon. I have limited items and fewer than 180 pieces left, most of them are 3/8" compression, 2 flute. Will post again when new items are introduced.

No experience in retailing, will consider setting up a web site for these tools.

Coated bits last average 10 times longer than un-coated. Very good on MDF, particle board, and regular melamine. Results on HPL with phenolic backing are inconsistent. Thickness of laminate may affect efficiency, only 2 or 3 times longer life.

Coated bits will change the CNC router bit business. If you are not satisfied with these coated bits, send them back to me. I will send your money back the same day I receive your return.

If you need large quantity, send me an e-mail.

knight_toolworks
02-20-2010, 03:03 AM
have you tested these on tropical woods like purpleheart and ipe and such?

routercoating
02-20-2010, 11:23 AM
I have not tested on any tropical woods. I do not know anyone uses large quantity of these woods. Measuring the test results and comparing against control data are extremely difficult. ( How and by whom the testings were conducted influence the value of the results.)

This coating project started 2 1/2" ago. Before I gave up in Sept last year, I was introduced to a furniture component factory that needed to cut many truck loads of 3/4" thick MDF on their two Biessee Rover. Each of the 3/8", down shear, 2 flute, 3" solid carbide router bits lasted more than 180,000 liner feet. Biessee Rover keeps track each tool's running history, and I personally saw the bundles of MDF loaded in the factory and disappeared.

The plant manager kept saying to me that it never happened. The uncoated bits he bought from our dealer in September still on his desk after 5 months. That was when I realized DLC coated bits will change our future router business. ( If you like to verify the story, e-mail me. I have the permission to give the plant manager and the owner's names. )

Order a couple bids for yourself. If you do not think you get your money's worth, send them back to me. You will have your money back.

(1) Coating is twice as hard than the carbide substrate. (2) The cutting edge and flute is very very smooth. Much much less heat generated from cutting. (3) Coating shields chemical abrasion from breaking down cobalt, prolongs tool life. Any of the three elements will make a regular tool last longer. Now, the DLC coated router bits combine all 3 elements.

mikeacg
02-21-2010, 07:21 AM
Jerome,

I would like to see that coating on 3D carving bits (balls, and tapers - heck, even v-bits). Sounds like they would never wear out!

Mike

routercoating
02-21-2010, 10:02 AM
I have no experience in carving bits; however, I bought a couple sample ball nose bits when I did my first batch of coating 2+ years ago. I will find them next week and have you try them.

Michael, how do you measure the longevity of 3D carving bit? What are you looking for in a "better" carving bit? Can you tell the quality of a v-bit from two different carving bit manufacturers?

cabnet636
02-21-2010, 01:31 PM
jerome, i use 1/16th, 1/8th, 3/8th and 1/2 inch taper ballnose in my carving work, personally i wish there was a 3/16th but to no avail so far.

carving bits seem to go and go as much of the material is removed in the roughing toolpath (i prefer) i have burned a 1/8th and 1/4 but rarely a 1/16th (i buy these from carvewright (do not tell anyone!!)

jim

mikeacg
02-21-2010, 01:38 PM
Jerome,

I can't really imagine a decent way to test the longevity of a bit in 3D use unless I was doing a long run of parts so I could do a side-by-side comparison. What makes it especially difficult with 3D carving is, you can use the same specie of wood, and there is enough variation from board to board, even from the same tree to make any so-called 'proof' totally subjective.
I guess I would be willing to accept as proof the coating's abilities based on the results we are seeing from the linear part cutters. If it works that much better on straight bits, I have to believe that it will give me similar results in my work. I am just a little concerned that a set of coated bits may last so long in 3D carving that a manufacturer would go out of business waiting for repeat business! Do you do the coating in-house and is it cost-effective to do small batches of bits? Do you buy bits from someone else and coat them or manufacture the part from scratch?
V-bits do vary from brand to brand in my experience. The tips tend to chip out after continued use (rendering the rest of the tool worthless). Again it is hard to quantify. If this is a matter of the tool being substandard or just wear-and-tear (or possibly my pushing the speeds and adding undue stress to the bit) I can't really be sure. I wish I could be of more help to you.

Mike

Gary Campbell
02-23-2010, 07:00 PM
Guys...
I cut 23 more sheets today and finally killed the bit Jerome sent me. That is 91 sheets prefin plywood total. Dado edges and lapped vectors started to "roll" a little on sheet 88, but the last few sheets were backs, so I let 'er eat. These bits appear to be made for moderately aggressive cutting, which is right up my alley. Highly reccommend.
Gary

routercoating
02-26-2010, 12:50 AM
I will get some carving bits and experiment with them. Without an acceptable way of measuring performance, I wonder if I can get the budget approved. Well, ....

Nano technology will disrupt current business models. Large router bits manufacturers would not want to be the first to introduce these innovations. Their volume will be cut more than 60%, if not more. Gillet started using similar technology in their razor blades more than a dozen years ago.

DLC coated bits not only last longer, they cut better and faster.

Gary, now that you have experienced with the DLC coated router bit. Will you continue to buy coated bits for you future use, or you will go back the uncoated bits?

Gary Campbell
02-26-2010, 03:56 PM
Jerome...
As you know.... I voted with my checkbook. I have some on order.
Gary

routercoating
04-13-2010, 02:31 AM
Jim and Gary,

I got a couple hundred coated bits this morning, including 1/4", 2+2 compression. Call me so I can ship some to you. I will also get the complete list next week and e-mail to you guys.

At the last minute, I tried ten pieces of carbide tipped router bit, and they came out good. I will report the results when I find someone willing to test and having a way to measure them. ( I need to charge my cost of the bit, but not for coating of these new items.)

Thanks.

evan
04-13-2010, 01:47 PM
Jerome
I would be interested in that list as well, email in profile.
Thanks

cabnet636
04-18-2010, 02:00 PM
jerome i would like the list as well, just won a job which will require cutting 10-12 units of black melamine and 5 of maple

jim

arouterman
06-14-2010, 08:22 PM
I have just received a new batch of coated solid carbide spirals. Many of you have ordered and satisfied with the bits' performance. I got a lot of 1/2", 3/8" compression (both plunge and mortise), and also added 1/4" compression in the stock now. For the month of June and July I will give a free bit when you order 5 pieces of the same item, while inventory last. ( sold out 1/4" up cut )

Someone has expressed carbide tipped 1/2" straight bit for cutting fiber glass. I have a few pieces left. Send me an e-mail, I will give you a very good deal, as I need help in testing these new tools. I do not believe coated carbide tipped router bits are commercially available yet. My initial test showed cutting 120 sheets double sided melamines vs. 30 sheets uncoated bit.

If these straight bits work, I will coat some V-groover, round over, trim bits.

frank134
06-15-2010, 12:11 AM
Hi J...
Could you please send me the list to. I order a couple of your 1/4 inch bits and been cutting hard maple with it. the cut are nice and clean and no noise.

Thank you
frank

dubliner
06-21-2010, 12:19 PM
I have to try some too Jerome, nstewart at austin dot rr dot com - thanks

gripus
06-21-2010, 02:24 PM
I, also, would like a list.

joework (at) gripus (dot) com

rbchesapeakeball
06-24-2010, 07:53 AM
J,

I would like the list too. richard@cbballpythons.com

Thanks,

Rich

arouterman
06-25-2010, 04:21 PM
I have reduced prices on coated router bits posted on Amazon.com. Search " DLC router bit", and you will see items on sale. I need to turn inventory faster to get more items coated.

I have sold out a couple items. Unless I can reduce some other items, it is hard for me to coat another batch. If you do not see items you need on Amazon, send me a message. I have a few extra items not listed there.

Coated router bits are just better tools. In the near future, coated router bits will dominate the market. It cuts longer, cuts cleaner, and cost per inch cut is less.

bob_s
06-25-2010, 11:34 PM
J
Please email a list to bob at schlowsky dot com
thanks

cabnet636
06-26-2010, 07:15 AM
i fianlly ordered some more the last ones are still in prettyu good shape, gotta admit they cut melamine excellent

jim

cabnet636
07-02-2010, 12:55 PM
expected my bits on 7-07 and got them today !!

thanks jerome and for the present as well, i would encourage you to do more ballnose!!

evan
07-06-2010, 12:51 PM
I've been "driving" one of the 3/8 MC bits from Jerome through 60 sheets (approximately 180 linear feet per sheet) 1/2 prefinished multiply and there is still life left in the bit. I"m very pleased with the cut and life of this bit and will be ordering more. Great product.

andyb
07-06-2010, 06:42 PM
Jerome,
Can you send me the list? andy ((at)) brookscnc ((dot)) com

Andy B.

tgm
07-21-2010, 05:40 PM
Jerome,

Put me on the mailing list also. I would like to give these a whirl

thomas(at)edinborohardwoods(dot)com

Thanks,

Tom in PA

erniek
07-22-2010, 07:12 PM
I'm interested in these bits too. If there's a catalog that you're emailing, I'd like one. Please send to ernest_klassen@hotmail.com .

Do you have available a 1/4" single flute compression bit with the coating?

I prefer the single fluted ones over the doubles because I can cut faster with them on this PRT Standard.

BloomingtonMike
08-01-2010, 12:46 AM
Can you add me as well
- unix888(at)verizon(dot)net

please

plemon
08-01-2010, 06:08 AM
I'd like a list too for phil@zedmotion.com. Also, is it possible to purchase from you besides through Amazon, because they will not send those items to Australia (at least not the last time I tried).

arouterman
08-20-2010, 03:53 PM
I got another batch done this week and updated my price list. Let me know if you have not gotten the new list. ( Price reduced to stimulate more interests !! )

cabnet636
08-21-2010, 01:21 AM
please up date me jerome, the bits i have are still doing very well and i want some more

jim

nat_wheatley
08-21-2010, 05:55 AM
Jerome,

Please send me a list of bits: nw@coastlinecabinetry.com

Thanks.

bleeth
08-21-2010, 07:00 AM
Jerome:
Please e-mail me current list.
daver at professionalmillwork(dot)com

orgtech
08-21-2010, 10:59 AM
Please send me a list as well. orgtech@bellsouth dot net. Thanks

Still waiting for the list. Please send. Thanks

jd9737
08-21-2010, 12:04 PM
Jerome,

Please email me a list.
jd9737@yahoo.com

Thanks, Bill

John David
08-21-2010, 12:24 PM
If you would please add me to your list also gizmosbyjd@aol.com

Thanks
JD

srwtlc
08-21-2010, 12:50 PM
And another one....srwtlc@gmail dot com

Thanks

sailfl
08-21-2010, 07:20 PM
I sent a PM requesting a list.

Thanks

andyb
08-21-2010, 08:42 PM
Update me too. andy(at)brookscnc(dot)com

jimmya
08-21-2010, 09:19 PM
Please send me a list of bits.
Jimmy

cncsignshop@nc.rr.com

changrudy
08-23-2010, 05:51 PM
one more plz, recreationscnc@gmail.com

pappybaynes
08-24-2010, 01:03 PM
Please sent me a list as well.
Thanks

ken_rychlik
08-27-2010, 09:55 AM
I am running one of your DLC coated bits and not impressed at all.

It cuts "ok" on outlines, but burns badly when trying to drill my shelf pin holes.

I had to go back to cheap straight flute bits. They cut great, but just don't last very long.

Do you have any 1/4 inch straight flute bits with the DLC coating on them?

Kenneth

ken_rychlik
08-27-2010, 10:15 AM
Here are two pictures. The pretty holes were done with a 4 dollar ebay bit.
The burnt holes were done with the dlc bit. The camera didn't move making it look fuzzy. The bit burns the surface a little bit as well.
If you still offer refunds for unhappy customers, I will take you up on it. I bought two of them to try out.
I would be interested in some straight bits with the coating though.

Kenneth

jimmya
08-27-2010, 11:55 AM
Would Like A list too. Second request.
Jimmy

cncsignshop@nc.rr.com

bleeth
08-27-2010, 12:57 PM
Ken:
I had a "burned hole" issue with a regular compression also until I changed to a peck drill strategy going back to 0 level. Then all was good. Basically the geometry of the bit holds material in the hole tightly when you go down all the way in one pass and heats up burning your hole.

BTW_ I didn't get requested list either!!

sailfl
08-27-2010, 03:35 PM
I sent a PM requesting a list with my email and received no response. How about responding

arouterman
08-29-2010, 09:46 AM
I sent a PM requesting a list with my email and received no response. How about responding

Sorry guys, I was on the road and attended the Atlanta IWF show. I do not surf as often as I would like to. Coated router bits is my passion, but I do not get support from the company I work for. I am doing this as a testing on my own.

I will send the list to you guys Monday and Tuesday next week.

I have resigned my job to pursuit my "coating dream". About 500 pieces coated bit on the shelf now will be my last batch this year. I will close this chapter by the end of this year.

arouterman
08-29-2010, 10:05 AM
Here are two pictures. The pretty holes were done with a 4 dollar ebay bit.
The burnt holes were done with the dlc bit. The camera didn't move making it look fuzzy. The bit burns the surface a little bit as well.
If you still offer refunds for unhappy customers, I will take you up on it. I bought two of them to try out.
I would be interested in some straight bits with the coating though.

Kenneth

Kenneth,

Sorry the coating does not work for you. I did not think nor try to prove the DLC coated bit will work for every application.

The coating provide a possibility to extent tool life beyond the traditional way in the "right applications". As I have more results from testing the tools, I am convinced coating will be very common in our woodworking industry in the next 5 to 10 years.

Send the bits back to me, please. I will give a full refund once I receive your returned bits.

arouterman
08-29-2010, 10:31 AM
please up date me jerome, the bits i have are still doing very well and i want some more

jim

Jim,

I will e-mail you Tuesday the updated list with better pricing. Thank you for your support.

It has been a very good experience for me for the past 3 1/2 years experimenting with different coatings on router bits. I almost quit doing it twice. The company I work for does not think this is a direction for the future. So, I have to find my own way to continue my "coating dream".

DLC coating is not a "fit-all" solution for all woodworking applications. I am glad you find your way to take advantage of this technology. I like to work with you for my next generation of router bit coating.

There are at least 6 companies at the Atlanta IWF show selling coated router bits. I could not find anyone ding it two years ago. I bet we will see more at the next show two years form now.

Once my current inventory is out or at the end of this year, I will no more offer these DLC coated router bits. I am retiring from the company I've worked for the past 15 years to see if I can make better coated tools.

ken_rychlik
08-29-2010, 10:41 AM
Please send me your information so I can mail them back to you.

Thanks for the suggestion Dave, but other mortise bits I have tried don't do this. They never were quite as sharp as the cheap bits either. Even new they leave a little fuzz at the cuts.
Kenneth

info@k-d-cabinets.com

arouterman
08-30-2010, 08:36 AM
Please send me a list as well. orgtech@belllsouth dot net. Thanks

Bruce,

Mail to the arrdess was returned. Could you send me your address one more time?

datou at swbell dot net Thanks

arouterman
08-30-2010, 09:04 AM
Please send me your information so I can mail them back to you.

Thanks for the suggestion Dave, but other mortise bits I have tried don't do this. They never were quite as sharp as the cheap bits either. Even new they leave a little fuzz at the cuts.
Kenneth

info@k-d-cabinets.com

Kenneth,

I will send you the address to return the bits back. Sorry, the bits did not work for your application.

These bits are made by manufacturers mentioned in this forum many times and they are made in the USA. Our company sells a couple thousand these bits every month. As a matter of fact, carbide spirals market is extremely competitive. They all use the same machines, same materials, and make almost identical parts.

Quite often, I find the difference of good cuts and questionable cuts is how the bit is used. The right tool, proper feed rate and chip load, maintenance of machine.

Jerome

ken_rychlik
09-05-2010, 04:37 PM
I got the info and will be sending them to you.

I went ahead and tried the peck drilling to see if it helped. It only burned about half as much, but still not useable.

Thanks

bleeth
09-05-2010, 05:09 PM
Ken:

I think you jinxed me! today I ran into the same problem and came within a fraction of the dreaded fire alarm. I was cutting some melamine parts and on the through drill action for drawer dividers I pecked twice with return to zero. several holes got so hot that the "coals" created by the compressed particle board dust started eating the spoilboard. Luckily I saw it, paused the file, and poured a little water in the holes to extinguish. After I waited a while and verified that the danger was past I continued cutting the board. When I picked up the parts I had a few burned holes in the spoil board and 2 of them had burned deep enough to hit the plenum.
Not being one to ignore a challenge I put the parts on another sheet, sped up my plunge speed to 1 from the normal .5, and this time set peck to clear the surface by .1. Still started making smoke so I turned down the spindle speed to under 10k. Got a little heat but not as much. I could probably turn spindle speed down more and beat the problem, but in AC and my controller there is no way to make that an automatic operation.
I don't know yet if you can vary spindle speed with different operations in the link but if you can this could be the answer. I have been successfully through drilling plywood without issue for quite some time and it has been a long time since I cut dividers in melamine. This could be part of the issue.

Dave

ken_rychlik
09-05-2010, 07:54 PM
The link can control spindle speed, (if I ever get one) The only way to peck is to set a shallow max depth of cut and it takes several plunges to get to the depth.

I had some near fires on my table as well and would rather just return the bits than take any more chances.

i wish he could coat some of the straight bits that cut well for me and don't last very long.

Gary Campbell
09-05-2010, 09:11 PM
Kenneth...
What is your Z plunge speed and rpm for drilling holes? (the ones that burn, of course)

ken_rychlik
09-05-2010, 09:39 PM
Gary

Plunge speed was set at 45 and with just a router, I tried the fast and slow settings. Slow was better, but i still get black holes, even with slow rpm and peck drilling.

I wanted to try some more, based on all the positive feedback, but I guess nobody else is drilling shelf pin holes with it.

I have glue setting on a new spoilboard, getting ready for another fun filled week. Now I have to figure out why those lables ain't working right. :rolleyes:

Gary Campbell
09-05-2010, 10:18 PM
Kenneth...
Try setting the plunge on the drill operation 120-180 and see what the results are. I dont use 1/4, but do 5mm at 180 (5Krpm) and 10mm at 120 (3600 rpm)

Whats up with the labels?

bleeth
09-05-2010, 11:35 PM
Gary:
Your suggestion of fast plunge and slow spin seems to back up where I was getting to. You thinking I can plunge into melamine or lam at 180ipm and not start stressing the spindle bearings?

Gary Campbell
09-05-2010, 11:57 PM
Dave..
I would at least do some testing. To keep these bits cool, you need to throw some meat at em. If you cant slow down the rpm, increase the feed, Or put in a pause on the toolchane to change rpm manually.

ken_rychlik
09-06-2010, 12:14 AM
I can plunge with centurion comp bits just fine. It is the DLC ones that are burning.

Is the 5mm you are talking about a dlc?

All in all I am having such good luck with the straight bits, I just ordered another 100 of them. He made me a bulk deal price for $2.75 each and that should last me a while.

I will start another thread about the lables. This one is long enough already.

bleeth
09-06-2010, 07:17 AM
The 5mm I am using is Centurian compression/mortise. Don't have the problem with the shallow holes, only through drill.

arouterman
09-12-2010, 05:32 PM
Ken,

Please send the bits back to me for a total refund. I want to see what kind of problem of those bits.

the opportunity for me to learn and to improve my own product is when I get feedbacks from my customers. I do not claim that the bits we sell are perfect. We do try to avoid repeating making the same mistakes too often.

Jerome

ken_rychlik
09-12-2010, 05:37 PM
They are on the way back to you now.

I wanted to try the peck drilling technique just to make sure before sending them back.

One of them is unused and the one that I had the burning issues with is marked with blue tape and labeled so in the package.

I just got my shippment of a large quantity of straight bits and if you want to try and dip a few, let me know and I will give that a try.

cabnet636
09-29-2010, 06:45 AM
this bit is over 100 sheets at this point with melamine and i will use it today. i cut these parts on monday

using the 3/8th compression 300 ipm 16000 rpm

arouterman
10-25-2010, 01:49 AM
They are on the way back to you now.

I wanted to try the peck drilling technique just to make sure before sending them back.

One of them is unused and the one that I had the burning issues with is marked with blue tape and labeled so in the package.

I just got my shippment of a large quantity of straight bits and if you want to try and dip a few, let me know and I will give that a try.

I got 2 bits returned by Ken over a month ago, but was out traveling to see if I could afford a new coating machine of my own.

The attached pictures show the tip were damaged. I am not experienced to tell what had happened; however, I think this is not an indication that DLC coating itself does not work. The tool failed to work for Ken.

I hope by now you get your money back. thank you for trying.

cabnet636
10-25-2010, 03:10 AM
we have one of the newer bits start to chip at 6 sheets, some of the bits did well

ken_rychlik
10-25-2010, 08:22 AM
I did get the refund and thanks for that. Funny it chipped, because I only ran 5 or six sheets with it.

If you get it figured out and want someone to test run another bit, I will give it a try for you.

arouterman
12-22-2010, 12:14 AM
I have experimented with DLC coating hunting knives and one coated knife lasted 7 deers and one elk, still good for a couple more deers. Before this particular knife was coated, it needed to resharpen after 4 or 5 deers. It does not rust either. Unlike some knife makers, I coated the blade completely without taking the knife edge off ( re-sharpening ) before first use.

I will be retiring from the company after this month. If anyone wants to order more coated solid carbide router bits, call or text me at 210-860-3001. I will give you very good deal to get rid of the inventory. The company is not going to continue this project. And my offer ends this month.

Many of you have tried and experienced longer running time in "right" conditions. As a matter of fact, a few reported 10X longer life. Unfortunately, I did not have the means to find out a couple cases that did not work. I sincerely believe that coated router bits will be common items for large tool companies in 5 to 10 years from now.

Onsrud has a few items on their catalog already. The smaller router bit manufacturers have to follow the leader, in time.

arouterman
12-22-2010, 12:33 AM
Hey Jim,
Get a few and give them the once over. Be objective and honest, If it is better than the rest let us know , and in it is not as good let us know that too. How is the insert tooling working out for ya, I figured that i would give a few weeks before i asked . When is the next southern boy meeting? Gene

Gene,

Before the shop closed, get at least one bit to try. Jim has reported that he is happy with the results. These will not be offered after this month.

arouterman
12-22-2010, 12:40 AM
this bit is over 100 sheets at this point with melamine and i will use it today. i cut these parts on monday

using the 3/8th compression 300 ipm 16000 rpm

Jim,

Are you still happy with these coated bits? I have a few left for you. Call me or text me at 210-860-3001. I will give you a good deal. There is no one knows how to coat router bit after my retirement. I want to get rid of the remaining inventory. Offer ends this month.

I already made my "gone fishing" sign.

nat_wheatley
12-23-2010, 11:14 AM
Jerome,

I texted and called yesterday, and have yet to hear back.

I'd be interested in buying some of the 1/4" compression bits, if you have any left.

Nat
508-747-5067

arouterman
12-23-2010, 03:21 PM
Nat,

I was sick. By the time I got back, all 1/4" compression were sold out, except down cut.

Only 3/8" and 1/2" left. 3/8" compression 1 1/4" CL mortise end at $32. DLC coated.

nat_wheatley
12-23-2010, 04:10 PM
OK, thanks.

arouterman
01-19-2011, 03:56 PM
My amazon account is officially closed today for the DLC coated router bits. December was the best month ever in terms of units sold, as the prices were cut to get rid of on hand inventory.

These DLC coated bits did work for 75% of those who happened to have good machines and materials that could take advantage of the coating. Generally 3 times to 4 times longer life with a couple cases at 10 times. There was an exception at more than 20 times.

I am selling other tools for another company now. If I make enough money to burn again, I will come back to improve the coated tools. Thank you for those who tried.

If you have seen other people offering the new coated tools, give them a try. Give them a try, they need your encouragement and your feedback. Their success will be the huge saving and better performance for the woodworking industry!

cabnet636
01-20-2011, 05:39 PM
i think it cool for you to come back here and let us know. i for one hadf a good bit or two from this and still have some i have yet to use

thanks again

jim

nat_wheatley
01-20-2011, 06:23 PM
I hope you do come back to doing this. I've used a number of these bits and they're outstanding.

Please keep making them...

dlcw
01-20-2011, 07:35 PM
Jerome,

Your bits have been great! I use them for all of my plywood cutting operations and the results have been excellent. The best thing is, the bits are still going strong after dozens and dozens of sheets. That's why I bought to more 3/8" MC and 1/4" MC bits.

I hope you are back on line before I run out of these excellent bits.