PDA

View Full Version : kill the alligator (clip)

JohnCoker
02-16-2014, 03:57 PM
The big ShopBot doesn't require an alligator clip when using the Z zero plate. For my Desktop with a spindle, I can zero by clipping the alligator clip the the tab on the spindle mounting bracket.

So, that makes me question why the alligator clip is necessary at all. It seems cleaner to just make a permanent wire connection to the spindle body as is done with the large ShopBots.

Has anyone done this? Is there a reason not to?

scottp55
02-16-2014, 04:11 PM
With spindle seems no problem, but lots buy with router---problem! I think even Gary has to use clip with Desktop for some reason. No reason to go to spindle housing---The clips on both of our Desktops lives HERE. Just make sure you don't knock it off. Always check input 1.

Roy Harding
02-16-2014, 04:31 PM
I attached the alligator clip to the right (as you are looking at it) leg bolt. That gets the cord out of the way, and makes a good contact to bare metal. It's been that way for at least four years, and no problems.

JohnCoker
02-16-2014, 04:57 PM
An even better solution; thanks guys.

ron brown
03-09-2014, 07:11 AM
Get your mind thinking about striking an arc for welding, or not.

The reason to 'clip' to the bit when using a "Z Plate" it to avoid grounding through bearings. Each time a grounding occurs, a small 'divot' develops at the grounding point. If this is through bearings, a bit of tool steel is blasted from the bearing and the race of every bearing between the Z Plate and the grounding point.

Grounding the Spindle you are saving many bearings that are relatively low speed and only pitting the spindle bearings.

Ron Brown

rlwagner
03-11-2014, 01:33 AM
The Shark machines use a magnet to ground the touch late to the router. So, when my SB arrives, I'm going to chuck the alligator clip for a magnet.

It will be safer, too, if I ever forget to remove it---not that I would ever do that---it would fall off in the first revolution.

DIFFERENT SIZE PLATES?
I'm wondering if anyone has made a set of touch plates, all machined to the same thickness within a thousandth or so? I'd like to have three, with one being about the length of the SB default plate, another about half to one-third that length, and then one that's about a 1" diameter "hockey puck" for really tight areas. And then I'll put a standard banana plug on the end of the wire and drill a banana-plug hole in each touch device, so I can quickly switch from one to the other.

Rather than re-invent the wheel here, I'm hoping this was done long ago and someone sells them. Any leads on this?

tlempicke
03-11-2014, 07:16 AM
You don't really have to machine anything. Get a piece of aluminum that is nominally 1/8of an inch thick and cut the plates you want to have from it. Then mic the exact thickness of the plate (The metal boys learned from the wood boys and you will almost always have some less than what you thought you were paying for) and set the size in the shopbot program that runs the Zzero routine.

rlwagner
03-13-2014, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the simple solution, I guess I was planning some overkill.

I will find something thick enough to allow me to drill a banana plug hole, but the principle is the same.

I have, however, prowled around all over the menus and researched online and can't find where to adjust that setting. Can you show me how to find it?

ron brown
03-13-2014, 08:33 PM
Ron,

If you are talking about the thickness plate, it is in the 'Z-Zero file' - however you have that saved.

I only know how and where my stuff is saved.

Ron

scottp55
03-13-2014, 08:34 PM
In SB3, type TS it's on the third page

srwtlc
03-13-2014, 10:56 PM
Or you can just open C:\SbParts\Custom\my_variables.sbc in an editor and edit the value there. Should be on or around line #32 and looks like this...

&my_ZzeroThickness = 0.121