PDA

View Full Version : Honey I shrunk the clock - my way

tlempicke
02-18-2014, 06:07 PM
A while back Vectric posted a project called Honey I shrunk the clock. I thought it was a really cool looking clock but I wanted it with a mechanical movement in it so that I could call it a "real" miniature Grandfather clock.

Here is my version of it. It is made of red oak, mostly because that is what I could buy where we live. I made it on a tabletop unit which required re-drawing parts of it and modifying every file so that I could cut it horizontally rather than vertically.

Part of what I was doing was to learn a bit more about the software and in addition the designer taught me a couple of nice little tricks to getting what I want out of the Shopbot. The movement is available from Klockit and fits right in the clock, although you do have to modify a couple of the plates so that they have holes in them. The dial is from an 1850 German clock that I bought off of E Bay.

sc.crab
02-18-2014, 06:41 PM
That's beautiful, are you going to bring it to Mcgrews in May?

dlcw
02-18-2014, 07:53 PM
Sweet job Tom! :)

Ajcoholic
02-18-2014, 08:11 PM
nice job! sweet!

scottp55
02-18-2014, 08:56 PM
Nice job Tom! Got to admit though, I want to hear the one on the left:)

tlempicke
02-19-2014, 08:47 AM
Yes I plan on bringing it to McGrews. I am afraid that the one on the left looks quite a bit better than it sounds. they picked the chime tubes for looks not sound.

mtylerfl
02-19-2014, 02:16 PM
Hi Tom,

You did an outstanding job and I'm so glad you incorporated the real movement. I think you have created an heirloom there!

I'll be at McGrew's also and I can't wait to see it in-person. Thank you very much for posting the photos.

Could you post the model number of the Klockit movement you used?

tlempicke
02-19-2014, 04:36 PM
It is a Hermle 771-000. Available several places. This is a German movement that was originally used in a hanging clock. Klockit gets about $130 for it and that seems to be the going price on the web.

mtylerfl
02-20-2014, 11:14 AM
It is a Hermle 771-000. Available several places. This is a German movement that was originally used in a hanging clock. Klockit gets about $130 for it and that seems to be the going price on the web.

Thank you, Tom!