PDA

View Full Version : big screw up!

Randy Bogardus
02-20-2014, 04:03 PM
I guess this is as good a place to "fess" up to my clumsy removal of the cover on the V1000 VFD.:o I was removing the cover and was having trouble with the last hex head bolt on the cover....getting it aligned so it would turn easily and release from the case and......wham!, it came loose and the cover dropped to the floor thereby pulling the rj 46 cable out of board on the inside of the VFD. The "block" where the rj 46 plugs in was slightly pulled away from the rest of the innards inside the box but seemed to snap back into place ok. When this happened I thought that if there were problems at "fire up" time, this would definitely be the probably source. So yes, the led display on the cover didn't light up. So I put a new rj46 cable on which didn't fix it and also checked the voltage between "sc" and "s1" just to make sure there was power (as per Yaskawa tech support suggestion) and all appeared ok. So now it looks like I need a new cover since the terminal connection where the rj 46 plugs in to the back of the cover appears loose and also the block inside the VFD where the rj 46 plugs in on that end....at a minumum....ShopBot tech support doesn't seem too awfully responsive and I want to move forward with the fix. Might it be best to just deal with a third party parts and repair outfit? I was so close to having this machine up and going! I'm so bumned out that I was so clumsy! :mad:

Randy

Randy

Randy Bogardus
02-20-2014, 04:47 PM
As expected, and not to my dismay, SB doesn't work on VFD's. So I'm looking for a supplier for parts. Yaskawa told me I couldn't buy direct from them so I need a third party supplier. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Randy

Randy Bogardus
02-20-2014, 08:00 PM
I really lucked out on this one! I was cruising the web for repair options, pulled up an unknown company website and darned if the repair/vfd sales company wasn't 20 minutes from my house! I pulled the VFD from the cnc machine and took it over to them and they put it right on the bench had me all sorted out in under an hour. The rj46 had pulled loose from the cover as I suspected but the board on the inside was fine! They had another display that I can mount externally to get everything running and then if I want to buy a new cover I can. So all in all this ended up being pretty painless to sort out considering what might have been had I shipped the unit off to an unknown repair outfit somewhere.

Randy

scottp55
02-20-2014, 08:34 PM
Nightmare to happy ending in a few hours? I'd say you're VERY lucky! Buy a lottery ticket quick:)

Randy Bogardus
02-23-2014, 11:11 PM
I didn't get the winning lotto ticket, but you are right about the rest of it, Scott.
The machine moves....a few things to sort out but I could be waiting around for a repair form an unknown source. Definitely a positive outcome!