PDA

View Full Version : DC Pickup for dual Z axis PRT

br928
02-21-2014, 05:42 PM
A couple of people asked what I used for a dust collector pickup on my dual Z axis PRT.

I started with a 4" dia. piece of thinwall PVC drain pipe. I heated the center section and flattened that section with a 2x10 leaving the walls about 1/2" apart. I used the Bot to cut an entry hole in the top for the spindle and an oval in the bottom for the dust entry. I also added brushes to either side to help improve the efficiency.

I made a bracket with some ½” rod and angle iron. I used the drill on the 2nd Z to hold the pickup in place. By doing this I can adjust the pickup height from the keyboard. Attach the rod to the angle iron with a brass bolt. If the drill was to be turned on by accident while the pickup was in place, the brass bolt will give way sooner than a steel one. That will minimize the damage to your Bot and ego. Don’t ask how I figured this one out. I keep several replacement bolts on hand.

br928
02-21-2014, 05:44 PM
I made two 4” flexible hoses with adapters on each end. These just push into the ends of the pickup and into the 6 x 4 x 4 Y above the machine. The Y is attached to the gantry with a piece of all thread. When the DC is not being used the Y adapter just floats up there. From there a 6” hose connects to the cyclone.

I hope this help anyone with an older PRT.

br928
02-21-2014, 05:55 PM
Here is a picture of the bottom.

JimDav
02-21-2014, 08:17 PM
Hmmm. Interesting. Gives me some ideas. Thanks for sharing Stan.