PDA

View Full Version : V carve panel PART 2

kevin
02-22-2014, 03:43 PM
I started this thread last week I loved Steve's panel.But i thought it would be to much for this piece .

I have a kitchen to go with this island

There is a mini debate among cabinet maker is a cnc taking the skill level away from cabinet maker .It has to be on of the silliest debates there no way I would be making this with out the cnc .The cnc is a tool period

steve_g
02-22-2014, 05:19 PM
Wow! The panel is perfect, any more would be a distraction!
SG

dlcw
02-22-2014, 05:28 PM
Yeah, Kevin. I see that debate all the time. "Do CNC's take the craftsmanship out of woodworking".

To me, a CNC is just another tool, like the jointer, planer, drum sander, hand router, hand plane, hand chisel, had saw, etc., etc. I recently purchased the Festool Domino 500 and 700. Not because I can't do operations without them, but because I can do operations much faster with them. I just built a 10' x 4' by 2" thick rustic hickory dining table with breadboard ends. Could I have done the breadboards without the Festool 700 - you bet. I've done it. But the Festool enabled me to do it in about 1/4 the time and the results are identical to doing it the old fashion way.

Another thing the CNC enables me to do is to incorporate very unique and personalized features into a product a lot more efficiently and cost effectively then I can do without it. I have been hand carving wood for 40+ years. I could carve a 10' fireplace mantle by hand if someone had the money to pay me. With the CNC, many more people can afford this type of project where in the past it was limited to people like Bill Gates, the Kennedy's and the Bush's.

Can I do a kitchen without it, yes, I've done many kitchens prior to getting the CNC. Would I do a kitchen today without it - hell no! Just like I can flatten an 8" wide board with a hand plane, but why would I when I have an 8" jointer and a 20" planer. Then I can sand it with a 22" drum sander instead of a piece of sandpaper strapped to a wooden block. And that large dining table from above, I flattened it with the CNC. I could have done it with a hand plane, but WHY?

It is about being more efficient, more productive and delivering a high quality product sooner. It's business. If I was a hobbiest, I would not own a CNC. A lot of money to invest and I have the time to do things using the other tools I had prior to buying the CNC. However, as a professional, custom woodworking shop, I wouldn't be caught dead without one.

myxpykalix
02-22-2014, 06:51 PM
Some see a cabinet in the picture...I see art. Part of your tools with which you create your art is a computer. Unless your name is Roy Underhill why do things the hard way? I believe in the saying "Work smarter, not harder"...

I also believe in the phrase i made up.."If i can't do it with a powertool, I don't do it":rolleyes:

What i see is a perfect mix of 3d relief carving and vcarving.

scottp55
02-22-2014, 07:18 PM
Kevin, Didn't realize there was so much stuff going on around it. Steve's right, any more and it would have been as busy as a cuckoo clock, The eye needs a place to rest. I Like the basket weave. Good work! Ready for Spring yet? :)

kevin
02-22-2014, 08:03 PM
Scott spring seems so far away
What I did was try to get more comfortable with the indexing head spent the last month trying new things.And using a 1/8 bit with out breaking

Don also the feet before shop bot would have a template jig saw then trace with a router was also hard doing different length now couple of hrs. including design time

The reason I brought it up was at the woodweb there was a post with a carving he said his company did it by hand I know that's its a 3d clipart.Of course someone said its not a true carving unless done by hand yet that person has no carving or turn legs in there work

Also are school here has the same attitude cnc is no skill . I love seeing the post from the schools embracing the technology with guitars etc.

Steve I will try thoughts window I love the story you can tell in your work .Like there talking to you

Jack thanks for the words

gc3
02-22-2014, 09:18 PM
very, very nice works kevin

danhamm
02-22-2014, 09:20 PM
Gorgeous work Kevin, your skillset is as good as any I have seen, Nice..

rej
02-22-2014, 09:27 PM
beautiful work and very inspiring.

Ajcoholic
02-22-2014, 09:56 PM
Kevin, that is really nice work. Looks great!

Yes, 100 years ago some cabinetmaker who couldn't or wouldn't buy a power planer probably said unless you plane your boards by hand it's not really woodworking... As can be said of all the equipment through the years that has allowed work to be done more productively.

CNC is a machine, a tool like the others that are accepted by everyone.

Generally IMO the ones saying negative things about CNC technology are the ones who don't understand what's involved or can't afford one.

Furniture and cabinets, and decorative aspects don't design themselves. Obviously the operator still has to tell the machine what to do.

Once again love the work.

kevin
02-23-2014, 06:12 AM
Thanks for the compliments
The carving will disappear a bit when the concrete counter top goes on

In furniture or traditional cabinet making you only do 3 side only on a desk .But in kitchens it comes up all the time so it becomes a new form that's not even touched in any cabinet making books

When I first saw a shopbot 8 years ago I wanted one.The indexing head is the holy grail for me .I didn't think it would take 5 years to get comfortable thanks to the form there no way I would figure this out on my own

bleeth
02-23-2014, 07:49 AM
Kevin:
That piece is absolutely gorgeous. You are to be congratulated on taking your skills to a new level. The "simple" panel design is a great accent to the leg and apron work. It looks to me like your finishing is also getting better all the time.
People who don't get it regarding using a CNC to enhance their skills are many, and living in the past.

chiloquinruss
02-23-2014, 09:53 AM
If it was 'just the cnc machine' I could make a piece as terrific as yours! I take pictures of these terrific pieces out and show my machine all the time and ask it 'how come you can't do that'! :D That is just one beautiful piece, shows a lot of love and craftsmandship. Thanks for posting. Russ

kevin
02-23-2014, 03:17 PM
Here a picture of a tool chest 100 years ago part of the tool chest was your portfolio.Picture where expensive

The hand drill is replace . Now with cad I hardly use the compass
It does look cool the chest

Thanks for the compliment Dave and Russ

Ajcoholic
02-23-2014, 04:21 PM
This is why the only thing I fear that is "negative" about the CNC router, is that some inexperienced (or non-experienced) people figure it is a magical thing that can make you instantly into a furniture maker/woodworker/cabinetmaker/etc. Some people assume that the CNC tech removes the design aspects of this trade, which of course is completely false.

Obviously, as I said previously - it is a great enhancement to one's shop of equipment but it still needs to be told what to do.

When I see this kind of work that you did Kevin, it does make me wish I had a full size 4x8 rig with a rotary 4th axis... some day, just might upgrade from the Buddy to that.

The day where you set a stack of sheet goods, and rough lumber and just verbally describe what you want "it" to make is a few years off I think yet :)

myxpykalix
02-23-2014, 07:27 PM
Kevin I didn't realize you had a indexer and was so good with it...wow!:D
I thought maybe you had someone do those or bought them but was too polite to say it. That is fantastic.

What some have said is true, that not only do you have to be a good woodworker but also a good designer to be able to "see" a design in your head that is not gawdy or too "busy" and i think you've struck a good balance.:D

When I bought my shopbot it was mainly for the indexer and have been more impressed with things i could do on there then anything else. It opens up an avenue of creativity that is better then any other option you could buy.

MogulTx
02-23-2014, 10:18 PM
Kevin

Keep posting pictures. Your photos are of beautiful works and are inspiring! I just hope my wife never discovers the forum and your photos! She might think I was capable of such beautiful work! You are definitely a great craftsman!

Monty

kevin
02-24-2014, 06:27 AM
Andrew its silly to even have a debate on cnc .Its like your seat made with cnc or by hand 99 per cent of customers don't care .But leave you more time to do other things.Or using a automatic lathe .The bottom line there is no market for hand carve work in my area but using the latest technology keeps my door open

Guy's thanks for the compliments .I had my start working in a antique store in Montreal it really help with design to this day I'am influenced .Then went to night school to become a cabinet maker .I remember going to glass with my kids wagon full of reclaimed lumber I had no money for a car

GlenP
02-24-2014, 04:46 PM
Very Nice Kevin. I agree with post above about the cnc debate. It is just another tool. You MUST have a good eye for design and craftsmanship so the tool can machine the parts for the end product.
I find so many guys call themselves a cabinet maker yet they build melamine boxes and buy corbels, doors and molding and haven't got a clue when you ask them about the face frame or type of joinery. A true and talented Craftsman build stuff like you Kevin. Your projects always have such unique components and designs to make them truly one of a kind for your customer. That is what a Custom Cabinet Maker does. Keep up the good work and ba humbug to the neh sayers. They are just jealous they can't offer that quality in house or haven't got the skills to design it.

Cheer All,

kevin
02-24-2014, 07:17 PM
Thanks Glen for the compliments

I'am trying not to get on the soap box its just that red seal program is out dated the teacher don't ask question just "that's how I learned " there using a book called Modern Cabinetmaking by Umstattd. William D.1990

I was trying to get training in my shop all the programs are dead ends there seem to be nothing for a small business.
Here a picture of a kitchen I did 9 years ago no cnc its from my old house in Montreal you can see the work now is getting more complicates thanks to the cnc

The point of this is if an Ikea opens there door in St.John's it will put a lot of cabinet shops out of business if they refuse to change

I'll post the other parts to this kitchen