PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding, another time.

ron brown
03-04-2014, 09:40 PM
My ShopBot started as a cable drive. First, the cable and ball-chain encoders were replaced with gear racks and home built timing belt reduction units. Next, the screen door wheels were replaced with Bishop-Wisecarver "Dual V" bearing wheels. Some time in this process, ShopBot came out with an 'ball-screw Z'. WOW, finally a reliable machine you could spend more time cutting than working on the machine!

For those not familiar with the older ShopBot control boards, they were what I might call sensitive. And, prone to blowing drivers for any reason they might find. I know I went through several before the V4 board arrived. Mine has the Gecko 203 drivers and I do not recall any problems.

I have decided it is now time to upgrade a lot of stuff. I've bought some 1600 oz/in motors to replace the original motors. I'll probably still use a ball screw Z. I plan on replacing the UniStrut with real rails on 2" X 4" Tubing with the gear rack on the bottom. I'll also build a new gantry where I will no longer have to load from the ends or lift plywood over rails.

The Porter-Cable router gets replaced with a Columbo 3hp spindle with ER25 collets. I'm using a gas-spring and some tricks to balance the Z so the ball-screw drive won't need to work that hard.

While doing this I found out the ShopBot doesn't have the power needed for much larger steppers. First, the Gecko 203 drives will handle up to 7 Amps. So, the limiting resistors must be changed. Also, driving over 3A on the Geckos requires a heat sink on the drivers.

Then, I got to thinking about how much power I would need total ..... The toroid transformer on the boards is a bit light for what I intend to do. Fortunately, I had a 'spare' 48V 22A powersupply. And then, a 55V AC 1000VA toroid transformer showed up on eBay. I bought it. I will need to add a rectifier and capacitors to smooth the ripple but it should make an 80V 18A power supply. There will be 3 1600 oz/in 3A motors and one 428 oz/in 3A on the Z axis. I've got material to build new gearboxes but doubt I'll need them. I also 'scored' a 30:1 worm drive stepper with 8 minutes backlash for a 4th axis that has a 1.8A motor.

I did notice the V4.17 control board I have has some 5 Amp 'fuses' on the board. I'll still be way under those loads so I doubt I'll have trouble there. I am wondering if I could wire directly to the stepper drivers if that does become a problem (more power).

Eventually, this will end up a 22' X 5-1/2' X 24"Z cutting area machine with one end reserved for 'vertical' work. I'm on pier and beam so I might dig a hole and get 6 or so foot vertical work space. A 7 1/2 HP 3PH bandsaw mill will also be designed so I may do 'veneers'. It will ride on the same rails and probably use the ShopBot carriage to pull or push the bandsaw. I'm thinking an Arduino Stepper driver could be used to operate the 'Z' on the bandsaw.

Well, that is the plan ... for now, subject to change. I work for a company that has a large plasma cutter and brakes so I can build any brackets I need and can buy the steel as more than reasonable costs. I am remembering a few taps and packages of drills can eat up a few hundred dollars. But, I do plan on building everything where I can take it apart and move it.

Ron Brown

gc3
03-04-2014, 09:57 PM
post fotos pls !!

bleeth
03-05-2014, 06:13 AM
Great to see you back Ron.
Look forward to seeing your rebuild.

Dave

khaos
03-05-2014, 09:50 AM
This sounds like a hell of an upgrade. :) Thanks for sharing the details of solved problems. Looking forward to updates. Pics of the bandsaw setup would be great. <Imagine if you will a three year old jumping up and down in anticipation of something sweet. With the accompanied please,please,please> :D

ron brown
03-05-2014, 01:49 PM
I'll probably post more drawings and such than actual photos. I'm allergic to cameras after doing that for a living. However, digital imaging takes less film, developer and fixer, along with darkroom time, than my old 35mm, DLR and Film Back cameras did. It is tempting to build a large format camera with CNC machinery.

Once I get this thing up and running, I plan on building a series of John Hacker influenced 22' Runabouts, vacuum laminated. That is the main reason for the desire to have a bandsaw mill. Also, I do believe one can do timber frame building work on a ShopBot if they have the room.

I'm not in a large hurry. I'm working or driving about 55 hours a week. Combining that with a bit of 'house-work', yard work and a visit or two a week with my 97 year old mother takes most of my alert hours. There are just a lot of details in building any new machine. I'm lucky I've got a job where many of the parts can be made during lunch or after work and a boss that will allow it. The shop I work in is more about 'production' than 'perfection'.

My old by-lines, "Where Quality is a word we just like to use."; "Tomorrow is a day for a fresh mistake." ... And, "Indecision may or may not be your Problem." Applies to more and more as I age.

I have found time to build a few 'modern sporting rifles' and hope to build a smaller CNC machine with the 'remains' of the old ShopBot and some ACME screws to be able to build receivers from billet. I've been collecting rail and bearings for that project also.

When I mentioned the bandsaw mill to Randy Johnson at the Austin ShopBot camp, he stated it would be a good addition. I have to agree.

Ron

ron brown
03-15-2014, 02:36 PM
One step forward, two in the muck....

I got the toroid in, have it wired and to the rectifier. I have the capacitors, waiting on 2W resistors for bleeders. I found some decent sized 'stick-on' heatsinks and have installed them.

I plan on putting a Volt/Amp meter in just to see what is going on.

When I was checking out if I had everything right, before the next modification, my old XP computer I use to run the ShopBot DIED! The nerve of a 15 year young computer to die without notice.

I will now get the experience of setting up a 'new' (refurbished) Win7 computer. I guess I'll go with the latest SB drivers and such.

I'm two reboots into the upgrades and a 6 martini lunch sounds right to keep from destroying this new computer .... I really don't like the hoops and such MS requires every time one needs to be setup.

Well, off to lunch!

Ron