PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen or tried these for signs or other applications?

jhicks
06-18-2007, 11:38 AM
While investigating laser equipment I stumbled on a few interesting things.
1 is what universal laser calls their powder fill technique for signs.
In general we're always looking for something new or better for finishing and these are some I thought were interesting for metalic gold, exotic pearlesence, and fill finishing
The Universal site says
Apply a matte black powder coat paint fill into the engraved areas of the wood with a paint brush as shown in Graphic 2.

Note: Powder coat paint is a dry paint powder made from finely ground solid resins. The natural oils in wood allow the powder to adhere without the need for any further treatment.

Note: You can get matte black powder coat paint from most paint manufacture’s or online from Harbor Freight at www.harborfreight.com/ (http://www.harborfreight.com/).

3.2: Wipe away any excess powder from the plaque with a cloth. Done!
When you see the photos it looks great but the question is how does the powder coat adhere inside the engraved areas? Says naturally sticks to natural wood oils? HUMMM??? I have a call into them but thought it would be a great V carve or recessed letter technique IF it really works.

2nd is another product called "RUB & Buff" for fill and wipe on glass signs. Shows GOLD and other metalic finishes and always on the look out for a gold leaf alternative.

site says Made from imported carnauba waxes, fine metallic powders, and select pigments, Rub 'n Buff gives almost any surface a new look in minutes. This unique blend gives objects decorated with Rub 'n Buff a finish that no paint can duplicate. It can be applied to any clean, dry surface as well as over previously painted surfaces. One 1/2 oz. tube covers up to 20 square feet.
It's easy to apply. Just rub onto any surface with finger or soft cloth, then buff to a lustrous finish. Rub 'n Buff is ideal for picture frames, stenciling, faux finishing, antiquing, home decor, restoration, and crafts

Check it out at http://www.bigceramicstore.com/Supplies/NonFiredCoatings/RubnBuff.htm
or many other art supply sites

Finally I've also seen and heard about this pearl Ex finish which says
http://www.jacquardproducts.com/products/pearlex/

Non-toxic, powdered pigments that exhibit extreme colorfastness and stability. They are ideal for interior, exterior and archival applications, and can be incorporated into nearly every art process. Pearl Ex pigments can be mixed into any viscous medium including all paints, varnish, airbrush paints, polymer clay, etc. They can also be applied dry to wood, ceramics, paper, wax, or any porous surface. Neutral pH makes these excellent for stamping or embossing. Temperature resistance allows them to be fired in a kiln up to 600 degrees.
Use Pearl Ex Powedered Pigments to simulate metallic sheens, shimmering pearlescents, leather, antique metal, raku pottery, hammered copper, and more.

edcoleman
06-18-2007, 12:52 PM
Jerry:

I have used a product called "laserdarc" which can be found here:

http://www.smoke-wood.com/SM-wd-2.HTML

I don't know if it is the same as a "powder coat paint". This product works as advertised...after the powder is brushed into the laser engraved areas the plaque is re-exposed to the laser and the powder is "baked" into the recess. I've had very good success with this, but it would be very interesting to see if the color palette could be expanded by using metallic powder coats.

-Ed

jhicks
06-18-2007, 01:22 PM
Thanks Ed, but what I was interested in is their comment that says just apply the powder coat to the engraved letter then "The natural oils in wood allow the powder to adhere without the need for any further treatment"
Its the "without further treatment" that was of interest rather then laser melting. I dont have a laser so it would be great if it really worked on wood routed letter area clears or v cuts.
Thanks for the feedback anyway

rookie432
06-18-2007, 09:22 PM
Jerry, I have used the Rub n Buff pretty regularly as I started my journey with etching and sandblasting glass and ceramics. I have to sa it works great on ceramics. I still have carved mugs that have been thru the wash many times with color still good. Clear glass will wear off quicker probably because of the glass cleaners. I have yet to find a suitable use for it on my signwork though. It wouldn't work on any pourus surface as when it dries it really has to be "BUFFED" off. The surface you need to buff it off of has to be glass smooth.
If you're looking at it for laser engraving glass it is a very suitable product. May take several coats, The gold and silver will wear off quicker.

hope that helps.
Bill

rookie432
06-18-2007, 09:25 PM
OH by the way It's NOT gold leaf. Sorry there is just no substitute. Small letters on wedding glasses will pass but that is it.

bill

bcammack
06-19-2007, 07:54 AM
I remember Rub 'N Buff from when I was building model cars as a lad back in the '60s. Decent fake chrome or gold look. Auto World (Oscar Kovaleski) out of Scranton, PA used to sell it in their catalog.

jhicks
06-19-2007, 08:24 PM
Thanks Guys