View Full Version : Best tool for clean profile cuts?

Max Girouard
03-12-2014, 11:18 AM
I'm cutting 1.5 inch thick maple into various shapes and getting decent results using a 2 flute .5 inch end mill. I cut it out larger than the actual part, then run a full depth pass right at the part to remove the step down machine marks. This is working well, and I'm getting a good clean cut on maple, but wonder if it can be better. Anyone have experience cutting super clean profile passes? What method do you use, and what end mill has worked out the best for you? Thanks!

dlcw
03-12-2014, 01:19 PM
For material up to 1.5" thick I have a single flute O that I climb cut leaving a 1/32" skin. I then conventional cut in one pass and I get VERY clean cuts.

I also have a 3-flute down spiral 1/2" bit that I can use in material up to 2" thick. Same procedure.

The beauty is you can save all these toolpaths in one file, if you are using the same bit.

I use this same procedure when cutting cabinet parts. The Shopbot has some much flex that this is the way I've found to get good clean cuts. Takes longer, but the results are better.

Feeds, speeds and depth per pass vary with wood species. Fine tune by ear. If a bit is screaming, it is hungry - feed faster or slow down rpm's.

Max Girouard
03-13-2014, 09:59 AM
Hi Don, thanks for the tips. Now I have a direction to head in. Thanks!