View Full Version : Covers for the rollers on the gantry?

GeneMpls
03-27-2014, 12:41 PM
I just watched the video of cutting the shelf (thanks for all of these) and it looks
like his machine has black plastic covers to keep the roller bearings clean. Looks
like a good/easy thing to do. Are they available from SB? Gene

dlcw
03-27-2014, 01:47 PM
Yes they are. I ordered some and found out they do not fit my 2009 PRSAlpha 60x96. Had to send them back.

I guess they are only for newer machines.

bleeth
03-27-2014, 06:40 PM
Don: A piece of aluminum angle and absorbent cotton loaded with WD-40 strategically placed against both does a brilliant job of keeping the rails and wheels clean. I put it on my x back when I rebuilt the rails and they look and feel new, even in Florida's "instant rust" environment. I just need to stop putting it off on the Y!
You likely know already how-to but if you want I'll post a shot tomorrow. Got the absorbent pad from MSC but it's been so long I don't recall the part number. It was pretty easy to find though.

GeneMpls
03-28-2014, 08:41 AM
Don: A piece of aluminum angle and absorbent cotton loaded with WD-40 strategically placed against both does a brilliant job of keeping the rails and wheels clean. I put it on my x back when I rebuilt the rails and they look and feel new, even in Florida's "instant rust" environment. I just need to stop putting it off on the Y!
You likely know already how-to but if you want I'll post a shot tomorrow. Got the absorbent pad from MSC but it's been so long I don't recall the part number. It was pretty easy to find though.

Yes please on the picts. Seems like a good project for vacuum formed plastic with
a flange to VHB tape to the steel? Thanks Gene

bleeth
03-28-2014, 12:34 PM
Here's a couple shots-Pretty basic but works great. Once it is fairly well saturated with WD you don't need to add any very often.

Chuck Keysor
03-28-2014, 12:46 PM
Thanks Dave. Seeing how simple and logically useful this addition would be made your pictures very much appreciated! Chuck

bleeth
03-28-2014, 02:26 PM
You're welcome Chuck. Takes a little more custom configuration for the Y which is why I put it off and unfortunately I still can't figure out a way to keep the z clean-That acetone flush is such a stinking mess!

GeneMpls
03-28-2014, 04:03 PM
Here is a real quick piece I bent from .060 PETG for trials this weekend, you may also
see my rail oilers- machined acrylic with felt wicks. If this works I will make more
permanent parts. Gene

rlwagner
05-15-2014, 10:04 PM
Don: A piece of aluminum angle and absorbent cotton loaded with WD-40 strategically placed against both does a brilliant job of keeping the rails and wheels clean.
Any conventional lubricant will collect and hold dust. You need a dry lubricant!

I use Jet-Lube Moly Mist.

It's black, gooey tuff so do NOT make your first spray of it on your machine. Test it first to get the feel of the flow and spray action. Then, hold a piece of paper behind the screw so that the overspray doesn't blacken your pretty machine.

Then let it dry according to instructions, and after that your screws are coated with a dry lubricant that won't hold dust.

Bill Keehn
10-09-2014, 02:40 AM
I've started using REM Oil, Remington gun cleaning oil and lubricant with Teflon. Not sticky at all. It helped clean off the rust and it hasn't come back.