View Full Version : Combining spiral gadget with fluting toolpath

scottp55
04-09-2014, 03:06 PM
Always heard VCP couldn't do bowls and spoons without a 3D file, But at one of those 2 AM trying crazy stuff I combined the spiral gadget with the fluting toolpath, and DARN if it didn't look like a bowl!!! I thought I'd invented the wheel:) only to find out once I knew what to search for that the Vectric forum had it all along. Fun to play with. Thanks Ryan! Seemed to be some interest in it today.http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16371&p=114895&hilit=spiral+gadget+fluting#p114895

Dennis Rech
04-24-2014, 12:06 AM
Always heard VCP couldn't do bowls and spoons without a 3D file, But at one of those 2 AM trying crazy stuff I combined the spiral gadget with the fluting toolpath, and DARN if it didn't look like a bowl!!! I thought I'd invented the wheel:) only to find out once I knew what to search for that the Vectric forum had it all along. Fun to play with. Thanks Ryan! Seemed to be some interest in it today.http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16371&p=114895&hilit=spiral+gadget+fluting#p114895

Hi Scott,
It's hard to believe that I posted that message over a year ago.
The idea also came to me at 2 in the morning.
Since then, I have used the spiral fluting method many times to make items other than bowls.
The last thing that I made was gear and pulley patterns with raised edges and center hubs to be cast from bronze. Using the spiral path, I dished out the area between the rim and the hub with a nice shallow curve and then cut out the spokes.
With the ShopBot and V-carve, it is real easy to make matched plate patterns.
I see that Paul has now added thread milling to his list of Gadgets.

Denny98501

Dennis Rech
04-24-2014, 12:33 AM

Hi Scott,
It's hard to believe that I posted that message over a year ago.
The idea also came to me at 2 in the morning.
Since then, I have used the spiral fluting method many times to make items other than bowls.
The last thing that I made was gear and pulley patterns with raised edges and center hubs to be cast from bronze. Using the spiral path, I dished out the area between the rim and the hub with a nice shallow curve and then cut out the spokes.
With the ShopBot and V-carve, it is real easy to make matched plate patterns.
I see that Paul has now added thread milling to his list of Gadgets.

Denny98501

scottp55
04-24-2014, 06:08 AM
Thanks Dennis. Does come in handy and it's so much faster than 3D. We plan on using it for spoons and ladles. Have to play with it a bit and there seemed to be a lot of interest in it during TJ's class a couple of weeks ago, but then class got cut short early, so thought I'd post it. Glad I researched it on Vectric before I posted as a "New and Original" :) Good work!