PDA

View Full Version : Uninterrupted Power Source?

scottp55
04-24-2014, 05:10 PM
We are doing a small Craft show as a shakedown for 3 larger shows later this year, and taking the Desktop with spindle with TJ and Bill Y. maker crate with us. Computer already has UPS but don't want Desktop to have one also so it doesn't have a brain fart in public. Not an electrical bone in my body. If anybody with a Desktop and spindle has ever measured the draw on the Desktop alone running 13-15K doing VCarved fonts, Could you please post it or e-mail me? Mainly a line conditioner but would be nice to get 2-3 minutes of operation so we could disconnect from customers to hit the spacebar casual like. :)
Anybody running a UPS now? If so recommendations? Be nice if it didn't cost 2 legs and an arm and could easily be moved by one person. Have an e-mail into Tech but sometimes you guys are faster. THANKS

scottp55
04-24-2014, 05:12 PM
Didn't preview well enough. WANT Desktop to have it's own!:(

rww
04-24-2014, 05:55 PM
I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me will reply. But I think it would be cheaper to buy a generator than buy a UPS that big ( if they even make one large enough)

scottp55
04-24-2014, 06:18 PM
Never Mind:) Just broke Drs orders and went into shop- rewired everything-warmed up spindle and started a long aircut. Running only the desktop and spindle about 13K it took 14 minutes for battery to read 50%. UPS is a cyberpower 1500avr. Never really looked at it before and got second hand so no manual. Finally got the readout I wanted and it said 33 minutes after I unplugged UPS. Granted an aircut but this one does more than we need. Just have to find similar and ship North. Sorry for the foofoora but didn't want to do all that just to find out I couldn't. Thanks:)

paul_z
04-25-2014, 10:06 AM
Scott,

Thanks for taking the time to test the UPS. Nothing is better than real test results.

Cyberpower PR5000LCDRTXL5U 5000VA / 4000W Pure Sine Wave UPS might run my PRT Alpha with PC router. It is on amazon for $1800 (with free shipping). It is rated to run for 11 minutes at full load. External battery packs can be added for longer run times.

Where I live (in the woods in NH) we get a lot of power surges and outages. I am always worried when I cut expensive materials or have very long cut times. 11 minutes would give me enough time to get my generator on line.

Paul Z

scottp55
04-25-2014, 03:30 PM
Hey Paul, Yeah funny thing was we lost power for 3 hours yesterday with the wind and I had to wait to test the UPS:) (Thanks for the package)