PDA

View Full Version : close to checkering?

scottp55
04-27-2014, 04:37 PM
I was playing with border designs today and then downloaded the Gadget SDK from Vectrics gadget library. Opened Vectric Gadget SDK>Samples Drawing>Contour Creation Example, and got the 2 zig-zags (Upper left). I'd been playing with a ballnose fluting pattern, so stretched a zig-zag,copy/paste,vertical flipped it, grouped and nudged it and swapped to a Centurion .25" 90vbit and got the long skinny one. Kind of interesting, so copied,nudge etc, and darn if it didn't look like checkering. Only time I played with checkering I used linear array lines/copy/rotate(and a lot of snipping). Very easy this way to stretch and curve. Looked at checkering here and Vectric and didn't see anything identical,but maybe looked in the wrong places.
Easy to get flat top/pointed tops by cut depth or bit angle. I got a new border, BUT it certainly isn't Celtic like I was trying for:) Just thought someone might have a use for it or like playing with it. Funny I told myself I was NOT going to draw today:) Accidentally deleted this once already when checking if .jpg had enough definition. Sorry if posted before.

Coogara
04-27-2014, 06:45 PM
Nice effect, Scott. Love working with Aspire.

Graeme

scottp55
04-27-2014, 06:59 PM
Oh, That's all VCP I showed,we haven't upgraded yet. Just sent you .crv:)

CNYDWW
04-28-2014, 08:36 AM
This is a checkering effect i used to use for signs. Simple 45 deg pocket mill with a 50% stepover with a ball nose bit. Then repeated at 135 deg.

scottp55
04-28-2014, 09:05 AM
THAT would cut fast! Hadn't really thought of just pocketing and using stepover for effect. Have to add it to my "play with" list:) Warping grids and sine wave patterns now. Jealous of you guys with Celtic Weave Generator! Playing with Celtic Weave Fonts is slow and frustrating. Still slow with designing so I get excited when tangential thinking actually comes up with something that looks good. TG for preview! I would have ruined a lot of wood by now:)
Thanks Randy