PDA

View Full Version : Robotic Camera Crane

andrewm
05-11-2014, 12:30 PM
This is a robotic remotely controller camera crane I am working on to take smooth dolly shots on site. Once completed the robot will be programmed with certain movements that can be played back to get a sequence of video shots. Its built on an old wheel chair platform that had the motor controler replaced with one that can be programmed. The arm is made of 6061 aluminum cut on a Shopbot Buddy with a spindle. I use a misting system which sprays a very very fine mist on the tool to keep it cool and lubricate it so aluminum chips don't stick. The mist is fine enough that it evaporates and doesn't pool.

The crane will lift a 30lb camera if needed.

bleeth
05-11-2014, 01:26 PM
Looks great Andrew! I want one with a suction head to change sheets on the bot for me!
How's the car conversions going?

dlcw
05-11-2014, 04:53 PM
Andrew,

Can I chat more with you off-line about the misting system design you have? I am getting ready to start working with an aerospace industry company and will be bidding on some large jobs involving cutting and milling aluminum parts. I don't yet know the grade of aluminum, but I'm guessing it's a high grade considering the parts will be going into airplanes.

Thank you sir!!!

myxpykalix
05-11-2014, 07:22 PM
Your rig reminds me of my Steadicam i used on movie and television. You can probably mount a video camera and achieve the same results:eek:
looks great:D

andrewm
05-11-2014, 09:22 PM
I have a steadycam system but it doesn't allow you to get low enough to get good photos of cars. Its also hell on my back. I wanted a crane like system that could be driven into place and then do slow smooth pans . I will eventually be able to program in and playback recorded moves. Its still in the R&D stage. It will have a swivel head system mounted on the end with the camera.

The misting system I am using is called Kool Mist.
Here is a link to it on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/KOOL-MIST-Single-Mist-Unit/dp/B005P0BFE0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399857664&sr=8-1&keywords=kool+mist

The key though is getting it set just right so it doesn't make everything wet.

andrewm
05-11-2014, 09:27 PM
http://youtu.be/K37XSkVQ1lc

scottp55
05-11-2014, 09:31 PM
Well done vid Andrew, Made me smile.

khalid
05-11-2014, 11:20 PM
Your work is inspiring. I will definitely request you to post video of its working and the movie you make with the camera mounted on the crane. Just want to see how smooth motion u get out of this beautifully engineered gadget.

Simops
05-11-2014, 11:53 PM
Andrew, can I ask following please:
* what thickness alum are you using?
* what bit are you using?
* speed and feed rate?

Thanks....cheers

myxpykalix
05-12-2014, 12:22 AM
I have a steadycam system...... Its also hell on my back.

What model do you have? Mine is the SteadycamII. I used it to carry Betacams and Panavision Cameras. It was a back killer when the arm was extended out the furthest. I developed a addition to my harness that included a backbrace which forced you to keep your back straight which was the biggest cause of back problems for me anyway.
As long as you kept your back straight it wasn't as bad but in practice wasn't that easy.
I like your rig....very cool!:D

elcar903
06-01-2014, 11:30 AM
great job on the crane

myxpykalix
06-01-2014, 10:46 PM
While not at car shows you can rent it out to the local police for a bomb defuser device! Using the electric wheelchair cut way down on research and development, that was a good idea...but how did you make it wireless remote?