PDA

View Full Version : question about importing SketchUp into VCP

steve_g
05-16-2014, 06:24 PM
So… I decided to try the new SketchUp import feature of VCP… I had shown my customer how the individual parts would fit together and articulate using the neat 3D illustrations possible in SketchUp. I thought I’d save redrawing time by importing the parts. I had some issues with importing but eventually figured it out.

BUT… I needed to cut some imported parts in half to make them fit on my 48 X 48. When the imported vectors were cut I could not close them. I can add, edit or do anything but close them. I landed up tracing the parts but would like to know if I’m missing something, or if this is a feature of imported .skp vectors…
Thanks!

SG

adrianm
05-17-2014, 03:02 AM
Once the vectors are in VCP they're just normal everyday vectors so all the normals tools should work.

Could you post a file with the vectors that are causing the problems?

steve_g
05-17-2014, 04:31 AM
Here are some of them...
SG

srwtlc
05-17-2014, 01:27 PM
Steve,

I get the same thing with your file. Doesn't seem to be any tool that will close them, but if you export as an eps/dxf and then import or open, they're fine.

steve_g
05-17-2014, 01:57 PM
Scott…
“if you export as an eps/dxf and then import or open, they're fine”

I guess that’s the one thing I didn’t try before I traced them!

It’s a work around but am curious if others have had a similar experience when importing SketchUp vectors or did I mess up somewhere.
SG

adrianm
05-17-2014, 02:45 PM
That is weird. The only way I could get them to join was to go into node edit and delete the start node and then use the Join with straight line tool to close the resulting gap.

Even dragging the start node away to create a visual gap and using the various join tools wouldn't work.

I've done a lot of Sketchup imports and I've never seen that happen.

scottp55
05-17-2014, 03:37 PM
Node edit here, but only right clicked start node and closed with straight line on all 3. But select open vectors and then joining did NOT work?

steve_g
05-17-2014, 03:50 PM
Thanks all for testing… This was partly a sanity check for me and a question of “should I bother trying again”. Based on Adrian’s experience, I will!
SG

steve_g
09-05-2014, 02:23 AM
Just a quick follow-up here…
Subsequent imports of SketchUp vectors have proven to be trouble free and a great time saver… I wish Vectric products allowed assembly of components! Due to segmented curves in SketchUp, I still have to edit imported vector arcs and curves…
SG

jerry_stanek
09-05-2014, 06:33 AM
I just tried the files and did a cutout and even though they said they are not closed they did calculate without any errors.