PDA

View Full Version : Unexpected output Fault

feinddj
06-02-2014, 03:15 PM
I have a job cutting some pierced panels for privacy screens. Lots of little shapes and they have to be cut at .75 but laid up to 1.5 thick in the finished product. So I am cutting the sheet with a roughing pass and then a finish pass. I have cut four without issue. last night on the fifth of twelve, it stopped at line 318382 with a box that said unexpected fault. It didn't lose position so I tried to restart at that line. Not good. Two hours of cutting bolluxed. This morning I started a new panel. Same thing happened. This time I looked and it is right where the second toolpath starts. Separated the two and started the second path. Runs fine. Why?

David

Brady Watson
06-02-2014, 05:49 PM
Running Windows 7 by any chance?

-B

jTr
06-02-2014, 06:29 PM
Had to chime in here - I'm running Win7 and recently upgraded software. Occasionally get the "Unexpected output fault" message as well, though never saw it in the prior 2 years of operating the machine. Anxiously waiting to see what that has to do with Windows 7....

jeff

feinddj
06-02-2014, 06:29 PM
the control computer is on Windows 7. Why would that be the issue at the same line of the file?

Brady Watson
06-02-2014, 10:23 PM
I was just talking to a good friend today who shared this little nugget with me: USB Selective Suspend (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff540144(v=vs.85).aspx)

This could be the culprit...It's important to note that 'vanilla' Win7 did not used to include this (as far as I know). I think that one of Windows Updates added this 'feature'. This is why the more seasoned users advise to not run Windows Update on a perfectly good running machine. It's little things like this that can lead to baldness...

David,
It could be that the USB is 'going to sleep' at the exact same elapsed time...

-B

Brady Watson
06-02-2014, 10:35 PM
You'll want to go into your control panel & change your power settings. You need to go into Advanced Power Settings to get to the USB settings. See attached. You want to disable it. This is on my laptop, so the battery option may not be available on a desktop PC.

-B

scottp55
06-02-2014, 10:40 PM
Brady, never came across that before, but DID run across advice in Vectric forum to remove USB after transferring files? Is that the reason? Never did before, but have plain vanilla 7 with no updates since August 2013 and no internet EVER. Is it a good practice to get into removing USB after file transfer anyways?

feinddj
06-02-2014, 10:57 PM
mine's a laptop too, Brady. I knew about the first screen. Hadn't known about the second. I will give it a go. Frank also gave me some advice. Won't be implementing it for a while, at least until this job is done. With the files split, all is running well. Don't fix what isn't broke!

Brady Watson
06-03-2014, 08:45 AM
Scott,
It is good practice to eject the thumbdrive, especially on an XP machine or it can mess up your entire USB bus until you restart.

David,
It isn't that 'it ain't broke don't fix it' - it could very well be that it was fine before an update and now it is 'broke', through little effort of your own.

-B

scottp55
06-03-2014, 08:48 AM
Thanks Brady, Going out to play with "fingerjoints" software now, so the fewer gremlins the better:)