PDA

View Full Version : gnats in my laquer!!!

twelchPTM
06-04-2014, 11:54 AM
They are not even in the building before I spray, at least not that anyone notices but yet as soon as a I spray the laquer and blink there they are right in the finish. And dust, no matter how well I clean the booth I still manage to get dust on the piece. Any tips on prevention or recovery? I tried polishing it out but that didn't go to well...

Brian Harnett
06-04-2014, 12:08 PM
Maybe put screen on the booth, I don't have them get on my lacquer but they love Sikkens when I do outdoor furniture.

chiloquinruss
06-04-2014, 12:48 PM
In the summertime I have to use a humidifier and that 'seems' to help some. Russ

twelchPTM
06-04-2014, 02:24 PM
Today seems better for unwanted items in the finish, trying to get a smooth-as-glass finish on a stool I built and it just seems like an uphill battle...

twelchPTM
06-04-2014, 04:20 PM
i guess my own impatience is my biggest down fall, I just kept messing with it until it got to the point of no return. The whole idea behing building this stool was an excuse to learn to paint with laquer. Granted I just got spray cans from Lowes but it still started to look right at somepoint. but after I got the spots in the black I decided to sand it out and recoat it this morning and thats when it got real ugly, the paint kept cracking as it dried and when i finally decided to strip it all down and start over i am finging that even the primer coat is still gooey, it feels like marshmallow fluff!

bleeth
06-05-2014, 06:33 AM
Thin coats and let them dry all the way. Depending on humidity it could be over a day between when you use off the shelf spray can paints.

twelchPTM
06-05-2014, 07:45 AM
The black was fine only needing about 30 minutes between coats. then it sat overnight and when I tried to apply the clear it kept "cracking". The can says recoat anytime but I think it should be more like the acrylic cans that say within X or after Y. I am going to strip it all down this morning and start from square one. fingers crossed!

POPS 64
06-05-2014, 07:52 AM
I've painted alot of my sports logo signs with spray cans with great quality. But the one thing I learned the hard way about spray can's. Soon as you spray you must recoat within a hour or clearcoat . If you miss the window you need to wait at least 24 hrs. Or the crackling starts and there's no hiding it. Good luck