PDA

View Full Version : project hold downs

POPS 64
06-05-2014, 08:56 AM
since i got the SB i was shown to hold down projects with 2 sided tape and I screw down a couple blocks down oppisite the 2 fences . and I have a small vacuum plate for lithophanes. is there something better ?

cowboy1296
06-05-2014, 09:48 AM
There are about 3 or 4 different ways. I chose t-tracks. There are a few venders that sell them along with clamps. I got mine at rocklers. My only regret i should have cut the pockets a little deeper so that i could resurface the table better.

chiloquinruss
06-05-2014, 11:11 AM
I use t-track also. Shown are 1 foot squares at one end with 1x4 pieces at the other end and rails alon the sides. Works for me as I do mostly sheet goods. Everything else I have made as removable jigs and sleds. Russ

http://hobby-tronics.lenzus.com/content/21775739/r/s_58256157.jpg

POPS 64
06-05-2014, 07:47 PM
Thanks guys some good idea's to think about . Looks like you guys have the extended tables I'am only running 24 x 36 , T tracks look like a lot less table resurfacing.

cowboy1296
06-05-2014, 09:23 PM
Mine is only a buddy 32 with a 4 foot power stick. Which means it has a cutting area of 48x32 or close to that.

POPS 64
06-06-2014, 07:20 AM
Rick , what do you make with your machine , hobbiest or business? I'am always looking for new ideas . Want to get full use of machine . been thinking of vynal and been seeing some real interesting things made from plywood.

cowboy1296
06-06-2014, 08:04 AM
I make mostly retirement, memorial and military plaques. I like 3-d and work mostly with hardwood. I am retired and it gives an old man something to do.

donek
06-07-2014, 12:09 AM
Watch this
http://youtu.be/fOrkvPF0pro

POPS 64
06-07-2014, 06:53 AM
Sean very good video gives me some idea's. I have a vacuum pump and a plate for my lithophanes. but doing the entire table is something to think about. THANKS

POPS 64
06-07-2014, 07:06 AM
Rick that is awsome work the 3-D is my favorite work to , big learning curve with wood to use . What software are you using ? I inherited my machine and using what it came with a 06-07 version of PW , PW 3D , didnt want to upgrade until I was sure about this . I was computer illiterate and never seen a cnc except on tv . its been a experience but know i'am hooked. think I'am up grading to V-carve 7 latest version , Aspire looks nice but price is up there and being retired , you know.

cowboy1296
06-07-2014, 08:43 AM
Yeah that jump in price will make anyones heart skip a beat. But once i bit the bullet and upgraded i have not looked back. Upgrading to 4.5 for me doesnt make sense. 3.5 does everything that i want. With aspire it is easier to control the depth of cut of a project. 3-d is time consuming. my longest finishing cut was around 20 hours. with aspire you can also blend individual pieces of artwork together to cut as one. This was my first project in 3-d and i blended about 6 pieces of art together. Its got one flaw in it but i wont point that out, but it was a learning curve for me.

I thought that i knew computers when i started with this but the truth is i didnt. I have learned a lot from people on here.

scottp55
06-07-2014, 09:31 AM
Rick, Love that last piece, and I know I'm insufficiently caffeinated, BUT I couldn't spot the "Mistake". Great work.
Jeff, I don't Know about Aspire,but VCarvePro"Shopbot edition" they SAY we get free upgrades forever. Can anybody tell me if they had to pay for an upgrade to 7 when they changed from version 6.- . Does it work the same for Aspire? Is the Aspire You buy from Shopbot a "Shopbot Edition" with only the Shopbot PP's? I know Brian on Vectric forum said people had to pay for upgrade from 6 to 7, and will have to pay for upgrade to 8 when it comes out. Want to wait for Aspire 5 to come out if that's the case before we upgrade. Thanks all.
Jeff, Sounds like you are "hooked" indeed:) Computer illiterate here also. Couldn't do it at all without VCP and forum.

cowboy1296
06-07-2014, 10:04 AM
This was the case when i upgraded to Aspire 3.5. If you buy the software through shopbot you get a reduced price taking into consideration the software that you have already bought. So make sure you go through Shopbot. Also i do believe that you get updates for free for aspire for one year from the date of purchase, but verify that. And you get a whole list of post processors so you need to know the one that you are working with so that you can pick the right one from the list

Oh and the flaw. I did a pocket cut above the mountains instead of adding clouds.

scottp55
06-07-2014, 10:30 AM
With VCP "shopbot edition" we only got 2 PP's inch and metric, So think Aspire sold by Shopbot must be the full version and not a "Shopbot Edition" so Vectric rules on upgrades apply. Nice to get a credit for software you already have.
Rick, No wonder:) It's hard to find something that's not there.

POPS 64
06-07-2014, 06:24 PM
Rick , Scott , thanks for the info and your input this forum has been really helpful so far. And I have to pay for upgrades since I inherited my machine shopbot said sorry 200.00 an upgrade. Now that were settled in to the new house and my shop isnup and running I'am going to upgrade soon . New roof first you now how that goes. thanks again

Joe Porter
06-08-2014, 08:44 AM
Jeff, you might want to check Vectric's website and deal with them direct. They say the up-grade price for V-Carve Pro is $150....joe

POPS 64
06-08-2014, 03:51 PM
Thanks Joe I'll check on that