PDA

View Full Version : Mach3 & MPG Handwheel for 2005 PRT

jakaprocki
06-08-2014, 04:46 PM
I am switching to Mach3. 35 years cnc programming and just can't grasp ShopBot language. Sorry ShopBot. Did try for 4-5 years
1) Can somebody advise on how to do it?
2) If I can does a MPG Handwheel work? Have to have a MPG handwheel.
3) If I can't does any body want to buy a controller, 4th axis with 300 hours on it? Paid 13K 5 years ago. Want to keep the frame and spindle. Machine is running right now.
Thanks guys, John

ssflyer
06-08-2014, 06:56 PM
Hi John,

Interesting - I find the open source sb3 language much more intuitive than gcode, where I actually have to memorize all the codes.

Anyway - MPG handwheels are made for mach, so shouldn't be an issue. There are a few here that have converted to mach - mostly, I think to upgrade an old ShopBot, instead of upgrading to new ShopBot control boards.

Something else to think about - if you use the supplied ShopBot Partworks (V-Carve Pro) it only works with ShopBot post processors...

It can be done, but you're talking about replacing the entire control board and power supply, etc.

What model ShopBot and control board revision?

HelicopterJohn
06-08-2014, 10:12 PM
Hi John,

FYI, I did a software/hardware conversion of a Shopbot PRT Standard to Mach3. A friend of mine who lives in Port Orange, Florida helped me select all the parts. It has worked great since the conversion. He also helped me with developing the required macros necessary for some of the options I installed on the machine. I am running a modified 2010 Screen Set with a semi-automatic tool changer and several customized buttons available on the Main Screen that is utilized to run the Shopbot. Other screens are also available but are utilized mostly for setup purposes.

Here is a link with detailed specifications of the build and associated pricing of components. I went first class on the components. It can be done for a lesser amount of money. All of the components, vendors and pricing are detailed at the end of the video. If you wanted to go a cheaper route. I think you could utilize a gecko 540 controller (about $300-$400) and purchase a power supply (about $100.00) and utilized your current stepper motors. If he is willing my friend could better advise you once he knows exactly what hardware you currently have and intend to keep.

As "ssflyer" has mentioned the copy of parts works that you may currently utilize is "proprietary" to the Shopbot software. You would need to get a universal copy of the V Carve Pro, Aspire of other appropriate software program. You would also need a license to Mach3, I believe the cost for a Mach3 license is under $200.00. Mach3 post processors are readily available for these applications.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WQ8KcTSKyQ

If you would like to discuss further you can send me a personal message. I live in Seffner, Florida.

John

gene
06-09-2014, 12:01 AM
could you use the breakout board, drivers and stepper motors that came with the shopbot with mach 3 software ?

jzarski1
06-09-2014, 12:36 AM
I converted a PRT to Mach3. I was using a MPG with it also. It was a very easy conversion. If your current control box has the Gecko 203v (red) controllers then you just need to pick up a PMDX-126 break out board. Little bit of rewiring and some Mach3 configurations, you will be good. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

John

adrianm
06-09-2014, 06:01 AM
Got to agree with Ron. The SBP language is far, far easier than Gcode.

With the modern design tools I'm surprised that many people even get down to those levels these days. I can do pretty much anything I want in Gcode, SBP etc but I just don't need to as the CAM program does it all.

Good luck with the conversion.

jakaprocki
06-09-2014, 07:05 AM
All you guys are great. Thanks so much for the info. Have to say the machine does work great with no problems. Just from the old school. Thanks again. John

donclifton
06-09-2014, 01:03 PM
John, check your PM.
Don Clifton

HelicopterJohn
06-09-2014, 05:11 PM
Hi Gene,

Shopbot parts usage in Mach3 Conversion:

It all depends on what Shopbot Control you have and the components included. If you were to decide to convert to mach3, the best deal would be to sell your complete shopbot control box especially if it is a G4. Shopbotters are always looking for working shopbot controllers. You should be able to keep the stepper motors. Send Don a PM and let him know what components you have i.e. stepper motors Gecko drive model number and he can give you some options on how to convert it if that is your desire.

John

Brady Watson
06-09-2014, 05:18 PM
Just a word to the wise...I would just take your original control box & put it on the shelf. If you ever go to sell the machine at some point in the future, you can hook it all back up & sell it as a ShopBot.

ShopBot 'mutants' are a tough sell for new buyers that expect the tool to operate like any other ShopBot. It confuses them because they don't understand the differences between the two like you do.

I've sold 2 control boxes to customers this year to put their tool back under ShopBot controls in order to sell it because the tools wouldn't sell as they were. With the SB controls back in place they each sold in under 10 days. Keep that in mind for yourself in the future...

-B

HelicopterJohn
06-09-2014, 05:49 PM
Hi John Zarski,

Are you using a spindle on your PRT conversion? If not, have you looked at the Super PID Variable Speed controller for Porter Cable or other multiple speed selection routers. It is very nice and and depending on how it is hooked up you can have infinitely variable speeds from a minimum of 5,000 to maximum available rpms. It has the ability to read the rpm specified in your Mach3 Gcode file. RPM is displayed on the screen and you can vary the speed with sliders on the main control screen during operation. It can also be wired via a pot and be separate from the controller. Of course, the pot wired version can even be utilized with the OEM shopbot software. Not sure if this could be electronically wired for for variable speed use with the shopbot software.

Also, at a very modest price tag, the 2010 Screen set is available for Mach3. It is really a slick interface and easily modified to a particular users preference. Macros with easy screen button touch operation is another plus in Windows 7. Also, included is a semi automatic tool change with associated easy screen button touch macro.

John