PDA

View Full Version : VFD Speed Control

ntraub01
06-18-2014, 04:37 PM
Good afternoon all,

Does anybody know if we can actually get more RPMs from our spindles than what is listed as "rated" speed. I know that many of the HSD spindles are rated at 18k but I also see that maximum RPM is often higher than the rated speeds. I unfortunately am not in front of my SB right now but looking through the various HSD MT1073 models some of them actually will run up to 24k. As currently set, I don't believe my VFD will allow my spindle to run faster BUT that should simply be a matter of adjusting the frequency of the output.

I ask because I cut a large amount of 1/4, 3/8 and 1" plex and could benefit from a higher spindle speed to receive a better edge finish prior to flaming. I am using an Amana Spiral "O" bit and it is rated at nearly 35k so my 18k spindle is just at half of the rated speed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nicholas Traub

Brady Watson
06-18-2014, 04:59 PM
Use a 2-flute spiral-O and you'll have all the excitement of 36,000 RPM @ the 18,000 RPM price. Onsrud and Harvey have them.

Find out how much a replacement spindle costs before you monkey with the VFD.

-B

ntraub01
06-19-2014, 05:57 PM
Not that I wanted to mess with the VFD because that is like changing the mixture for dynamite, but I just ordered two new bits from Harvey which will hopefully make the difference I'm looking for.

I have been looking at a replacement spindle and though they are not horrible in cost they certainly cost much more than a few new bits.

I've been getting acceptable quailty from the single flute bits but I'm about to undertake a large (36" x 48") Bur Oak leaf sandwich made of 2 - 1" pieces of plex and I don't want to deal with edge imperfections in addition to everything else I need to control.

Thanks for your help!!