PDA

View Full Version : Another project for my son Joseph

Ajcoholic
06-19-2014, 09:03 PM
So Joseph turned 3 in April. He is outgrowing his Toddler bed and with son #2 due in early September, we wanted to move him into his new room (baby will be taking over his present one).

I made him a bunkbed - using 8 sheets of 1/2" (4x8) 12mm Baltic birch and three 18mm sheets. The drawers and boxes, side rails, matress support panels, etc are all 12mm. The gables are 18mm.

All the cut outs, the side rail and matress panels. etc are all slotted and mortised into one another. The bed locks together and gets bolted with 8 1/4-20 bolts and T nuts. Impossible for anything to come loose.

the 4 steps/drawers and three underneath will give a lot of storage space, since the room is small and not much room for a dresser.

All parts were cut on my buddy - even though the gables and rails are 72" and 76" long.

The three drawers underneath were not yet installed when I snapped the photo with my cellphone.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j307/ajcoholic/IMG_2135_zps1dabcb1a.jpg (http://s83.photobucket.com/user/ajcoholic/media/IMG_2135_zps1dabcb1a.jpg.html)

Brian Harnett
06-19-2014, 09:31 PM
I like the handrails, looks like a nice pretend fort in the future

Ajcoholic
06-19-2014, 09:54 PM
Well, it certainly isnt fine furniture...:D

But I made it in one 10 hr day (last weekend) and just another 1/2 day to shoot it with a black primer, and two coats of some dark brown lacquer I had left from another job.

The cut outs, etc are so easy with Aspire and the Bot'...

All I did after cutting the pcs was sand the faces and edges with a 6" randown orbital and into the spray room.

I had about $650 in materials into it. It is bulletproof - you all know how strong 1/2" and 3/4" BB is. The cheapest bed locally I found, that was a single over a single - was $1100 and made in China absolute garbage. Wobbly and three drawers that wouldnt even work.

I used 100 lb rated Accuride full extensions, so even if he stands in them they wont budge :D

kevin
06-20-2014, 05:46 AM
I think it look great before you know it he will out grow it
I like the draw steps great idea for storage
But you have a second one on the way

scottp55
06-20-2014, 06:42 AM
Like the grab rails Andrew. Look like my "cloud lift" grab rails I used in my bathrooms based on sailboat (Somebody help me out here, "Taffrails?"). I like how stairs look so enclosed and safe using the space available to to make it safer. Excellent use of space. No such thing as too much storage. Surprised you didn't go more Greene Brothers inspired with through tenons/locked wedges out of Mahogany:)

myxpykalix
06-20-2014, 03:29 PM
I was expecting an elevator or spiral staircase:eek::D
That is fantastic...great job buddy

terryjones
06-22-2014, 04:15 PM
Nicely done Andrew. Looking at this comfortable bed. I think I need a nap.:rolleyes:

Bob Eustace
06-22-2014, 09:11 PM
One thing missing Andrew - a special spot for Gibson!

Ajcoholic
06-26-2014, 08:45 PM
One thing missing Andrew - a special spot for Gibson!

Gib is 8 1/2... he used to sleep in our bed, but the past year has been sleeping in his own dog bed at the end of our bed. He has a hard time jumping now that he is older and has one bionic knee.

He wont even attempt to get into Joseph's bed...

khalid
06-27-2014, 03:09 AM
Andrew,
I was/am thinking similar bed for my 5 year old son. But i do not find suitable dimensions (i am not a real wood worker/ carpenter).. Is it possible you can share the drawings.

Ajcoholic
06-27-2014, 08:54 PM
Andrew,
I was/am thinking similar bed for my 5 year old son. But i do not find suitable dimensions (i am not a real wood worker/ carpenter).. Is it possible you can share the drawings.

I didnt make drawings, just worked off of some scribblings and dimensions.

Here in Nortth America, a single mattress is 75" long by 38" wide. I made the sides 8" wide, and allowed 1" clearance in length and width. There is a 1" wide pc of wood glued to the side rail that the plywood the matress sits on, rests on and is screwed to.

The ends of the bed are 72" high, and 44" wide. The bottom drawer boxes are 12" high, and there is 28" between the top and bottom side rails.

The drawer boxes making the stairs, are 24" deep, 13" high and overlap by half.

The side safety rails I believe stick up past the side rails about 10".

khalid
06-30-2014, 09:41 AM
Thank You Andrew, the information provided by you were very helpful. Keep up the good work especially for your family.