PDA

View Full Version : Firefly birthday gift

elcar903
06-21-2014, 08:03 PM
My dad is a big fan of the TV series Firefly (as am I) so when I saw on a fan site a 3D model of the ship Serenity I made this for him and thought I would show it off and some of the thing that a ShopBot can do.

Please Note I made this as a one time gift for my dad and I will not sell it or be giving out the model as per an agreement with the original creator of the model.

if you are interested in Firefly series or the model you can find it here
http://www.fireflyfans.net/

srwtlc
06-21-2014, 11:03 PM
Oh, great, now I'm going to have to find the past episodes and do some 'Binge Watching'. ;)

Good stuff again Adam!

elcar903
06-21-2014, 11:30 PM
thanks, and the show is on Netflix and amazon video now

scottp55
06-22-2014, 07:46 AM
Adam, Beautiful work again, really clean, especially pockets. How are you getting in that deep to sand, Hand? Is that the TRU-oil again? If it is-at what stage did and how did you black the letters? Nice

elcar903
06-22-2014, 10:33 AM
I put 3 coats "Deft lacquer sanding sealer" on the wood before I began to carve on it,

after I ran the roughing tool path on the 3D ship I put a coat of Tru-Oil on just the ship part and let it sit over night,
this helps the wood from chipping out when running the finishing tool path.

The next morning I ran the finishing tool path on the ship part and carved out the text and put 1 more coat of Tru-Oil on the ship part only and let it sit for about 6 hours.

As for sanding it I used 200 and 600 grit paper along with 0.0.0. steel wool
to get into the small areas.
and if you set the ballnose bit on the finishing pass to 1% step-over it does a really good job at smoothing things out.

I painted the text black with a fine point Sharpy Marker
(A trick a local wood worker showed me)
by sealing the wood before carving it prevented the marker from bleeding over.

after about an hour I sealed the whole thing with the sanding sealer again and it was finished.

scottp55
06-22-2014, 10:37 AM
Thanks Adam. Exactly what I was looking for.