PDA

View Full Version : Fireplace mantel

JimFabLabFulton
06-22-2014, 09:15 AM
This is a fire place mantel I made for our new home we are building. Now all we need is to finish the home. The wood is walnut from our farm. I took logs to a Mennonite mill and once they got to 700 foot of flooring they saved the rest for lumber. Shoot me some other ideas.

chiloquinruss
06-22-2014, 09:59 AM
Looks terrific, one question though, WHERE"S THE SAWDUST! :D You have a very CLEAN shop, well done. Russ

scottp55
06-22-2014, 10:28 AM
Beautiful Jim, Funny we just started getting lumber from an Amish community up North and the quality is WAY up as Jonas refuses to sell us any bad stuff:)
You don't need much help with Ideas it looks like, But door jams and trim can always use something custom people can run their fingers over(never mind doors:) )
Nice job. BTW houses are NEVER finished:)

Kyle Stapleton
06-22-2014, 07:32 PM
Are you the teacher or do they just let you use the school shop?

JimFabLabFulton
06-23-2014, 07:29 AM
I am the teacher. We really just got going in november, but I have learned a ton.

mikeacg
06-23-2014, 08:17 AM
...I have learned a ton.

Obviously! Beautiful mantel! If the rest of the house looks like that I will definitely want to see more pictures!

I have an 100-year-old+ house so I am recreating all the molding in remodeled areas to match or complement the existing designs. Although you are building a new house you can set the style as you choose.

I especially like using carved corner blocks on my molding to personalize the rooms. The original design was just a circular pattern but I replaced that with a 3D daisy design for the living room. Mine is all painted to match the existing but if I had walnut I would definitely let the wood show!

Thanks for sharing!

Mike