View Full Version : Noise during motion

garyr6
06-24-2014, 06:37 PM
The desktop is about 3 years old. Its been mostly idle for a while (ok it's not the machine that been idle).
It has developed a clonk (highly technical term) while traversing in the X and Y. Not in the same place and not always during every traverse. It makes a noticeable thumb but continues. I cleaned the rails and screws, made sure there was nothing causing a bind. But it does sound like a light bind and release.
What the next thing to check?

Thank you for your input.....

scottp55
06-24-2014, 08:49 PM
Gary, Is it during a command or keypad move--or cutting a file? X move/Ymove or combined. You checked the first thing I would have. We did have something similar on mine, The dust hose was brushing a cable with a loose connection. Any possibility a loose connection. I had to try to make it happen to isolate it though(lucky I didn't fry anything). Post result when you find out. Sure others know better than me.

garyr6
06-24-2014, 09:14 PM
The noise is during a keypad manual command, one direction ie. keypad move traverse x or y. Occurred while I was running the head from top to bottom, side to side to check the system. Will set a file and run to see if it is manual one direction or will occur while running cut files. The test was run with z set high so no dust shoe issue.
THanks

scottp55
06-25-2014, 06:47 AM
Gary, Am I reading this right? Noise is X,Y, AND Z? And random from keypad? Does a jog from keypad (hold ctrl key when keypading) make it better, worse, or same?
Anybody, could it be a com problem(getting beyond my experience(doesn't take much-just trying to pay back all the help I got):) , Bad USB? Can somebody PLEASE steer him in a better direction?
Gary, Probably wouldn't hurt to blow keyboard,mouse, and computer off as you said it's been sitting a while. With EVERYTHING shut off, try blowing/cleaning everything you can think of( I had a stutter caused by a bad mouse connection last month and a keyboard died 2 weeks ago which caused REALLY funky things to happen before I swapped it out).
Can you check your comm efficiency test or do a packet # test?

garyr6
06-27-2014, 10:36 AM
Thanks Scott - turned out to be a com error causing the motor to start and stop.

scottp55
06-27-2014, 10:41 AM
Good news Gary, Glad you're back up and running.:)