PDA

View Full Version : Elegant solution needed. Suggestions?

scottp55
07-11-2014, 07:08 PM
I just removed a bad hub between keyboard/mouse and control computer that I've been using for 6 months. No hub now, but that means Box has to stay within inches of my old table/cabinet which won't let me access left side and kind of defeats the whole purpose of it. So it's crunch time.
I was thinking of just putting casters on the old cabinet and hinging it to left hand side of box, but then I couldn't get wheelchair underneath.
I'd like an elegant cantilevered shelf for monitor/keyboard/mouse on the top left of box that I can swing at least 90 degrees and preferably 180.
I've thought of at least 6 different things, but all have some flaw so I thought I'd toss it out for suggestions.
I'd prefer to make it myself to keep costs down-I've got tons of 8/4-12/4 slabs up to 17" wide if that helps.
If there's a prebuilt solution that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, I'll consider it.
1 pic that shows a slice of box corner(sort of).
Thanks,
scott

Ajcoholic
07-12-2014, 09:04 AM
That's to hold the keyboard, mouse etc? What about a strong metal articulated arm of some type? That you can place in any position. You see them with small gas struts to support the weight and they are very easy to move around.

scottp55
07-12-2014, 10:21 AM
Thanks Andrew, Pre-built metal would be easiest/best but I'm trying to cheap out as this is on my own dime.
Imagine my surprise when I changed my search from"swivel/cantilevered" to "swing-arm" and let's talk Shopbot popped up.
http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showthread.php?p=72070
I was thinking a single point attachment and the leverage was throwing me. Steve's first section from the wall will let me distribute the stress and the offset gives me extra clearance for the swing action.
Thanks Steve, At least it give me a different starting point.:)
"Blue" office didn't look insulated:)

scottp55
07-12-2014, 07:20 PM
I started going through all my parts and pieces and it MORPHED on me:)
20 yr old Stanley hinges and the leftover parts from the Maker Crate.
Only question is do I use 1 pair of hinges(which would be sufficient unless somebody sat on it), or 2 pair (which will make it look like a bank vault):)
Now to find a top for it. Live edge?

scottp55
07-17-2014, 01:11 AM
Started designing on the fly at 6PM finished at midnight.

David Iannone
07-18-2014, 12:45 PM
Looking pretty good so far.

POPS 64
08-02-2014, 07:49 PM
Scott , let's see some picts interested to see how it ended up. Jeff:)

scottp55
08-02-2014, 08:44 PM
Jeff, down to 180G hand sanding awkward spots,320G where I could use RO, live edge--still putzing with. Can only work on it at odd moments and in my "spare":) time. Wood is too nice to rush it, and I'll be looking at it every day so I want to get it right as first coat has 3DIlluminator in it.

scottp55
11-16-2014, 02:49 PM
Spare time found to finish dry sanding--1 coat oil now wet sanded 200G to fill pores--Thirsty little sucker drank a quart because of all the grain surfacing:)
Wet 320G /400G to go, and see if that's good enough--Maybe by Christmas the way I'm going:)

Steve Wonser
11-16-2014, 03:24 PM
Wow, that is going to be awesome looking! The natural edge looks great.

Burkhardt
11-16-2014, 06:08 PM
Excellent! What a nice piece of wood! Some might consider it frivolous for such a mundane purpose but since you are going to use this daily I think it is a good investment :)

scottp55
11-16-2014, 08:02 PM
It's my office Desk! :) Besides the live edge on the right make a perfect"Wrist Rest" for my Mouse hand. If I ever take it on the road like Kirk does for shows it will certainly make statement:)
Now THIS was frivolous use of scrap opal and Indian Rosewood--But it's for a friend, so...

pappybaynes
11-17-2014, 12:39 PM
came out really nice Scott!
Dick

scottp55
11-23-2014, 07:11 PM
Almost!! Just need to make hole/slot in side panel for USB's and find a scrap of something nice to hold monitor base firmly. Wouldn't want somebody to stand/sit on the end though-only 9 of the 1/4X20 bolts hit(flange hit the inside corner-may go bolt with smaller washer than the Fastenal connection bolts have). 3 drops CA before driving inserts to strengthen fibers.

scottp55
11-23-2014, 07:14 PM
Now I can move anywhere, without having a USB connection coming loose or a mouse finding the floor:)