View Full Version : cutting un-even

cwfreitas
07-13-2014, 11:03 AM
I am making a sign and I have a shopbot Buddy 32. The sign is suppose to be 1/4 deep but the left side is maybe an 1/8 and the right is too deep. I have leveled the table and I have checked my software and it all seems to be correct. any suggestions?

steelhead
07-13-2014, 12:33 PM
Clifford,
Im not Familier with the SB Buddy, but I'll try to help. I would first check to make sure the machine is properly supported from the ground up. All legs setting firmly on the ground. Then check for proper bolt hole pacement and alignment and the proper size bolts are in the proper holes excetra. One can and up the slop if the fasteners are smaller than the hole it has to pass through. Make shure all bolts are properly tightened. Dose it have a spoil board? If so, did you surface it to make it parallel to the spindle?

bleeth
07-13-2014, 12:37 PM
When you said you levelled the table are you talking about adjusting the leg levelors so the rails are all level? Did you check that the rollers are securely holding your table top? If you adjusted the legs you should then resurface your spoilboard, assuming you are using one.
Is this a 3d sign that you are cutting in a raster direction and as you moved across the part it got deeper? You may have not tightened your bit properly.
Did you zero the bit between where it cut shallow and deep?

Try zeroing to the bed with a bit on the side that cut shallow and then move up to one inch and send it to where it cut deep. Is it still one inch off the bed? This tells you right away that you are not really level.

When you surface a fresh spoilboard you should be taking an even amount off the entire board. If one area or side takes more material off then you are not really level. I found it was worth the investment to get a decent digital level as the numbers are more accurate then reading a bubble level.

Mayo
07-17-2014, 04:05 PM
If we assume your table is correctly set up and your spoil board is surfaced, is your material a uniform thickness from the left side to the right side?

scottp55
07-17-2014, 05:02 PM
I agree with Mayo. Did you check flatness of material before carving? Planers flatten material between rollers before cutting, and then it curls back.
If it's Really important, let wood sit on flat spoilboard, wedge gaps before clamping to get 1 true surface, flip, surface, cut.
Maybe? Works for us.