PDA

View Full Version : My new friend Benny

harryball
07-29-2014, 08:51 AM
Well, some of you guys may remember my Sibe Henry who passed away unexpectedly at the age of 4 just over a year ago now. Well, I finally went out and found a new friend.

Meet Benny. He's also a Siberian Husky (likely a mix) and is now 5 months old. He was a rescue just like Henry.

We'll see how it goes. So far he is very attentive to me and wants to be in my shadow most of the time. It's going to be the better part of a year before he is trained well enough to accompany me to a lot of places not to mention the work involved in having a puppy. I have mixed emotions about this adventure, but I think it will help tremendously having him around.

So, any of you old dogs got some dogs too. :D

myxpykalix
07-29-2014, 09:11 AM
I had a beautiful German Shepard that was smart as a whip and after he died it was over 10 years before i replaced him with another pet because you do go thru a grieving period and don't want to experience that again and in my case i can't do all the work needed for a dog but got a cat.

He can open cabinet doors and drawers and taught him to jump up and use the toilet instead of a catbox. It's so funny to hear the sound of tinkling in the toilet from the next room!
So pets add something to your life and glad to hear you added to your family!:D

scottp55
07-29-2014, 09:24 AM
Congrats Harry, Nice looking pup! Hope he's not as bright as a husky/mala/wolf hybrid I had. Not only could open cabinets, but he figured out the 'fridge too:eek: Lost a lot of food and he chewed through bungees and rope until I finally locked fridge with wire rope and carabiner.
Good luck training:) Mine knew to the INCH the distance from my hand to his collar, and if it was a command he didn't approve of--He stayed 1 inch beyond that. Keep the pepperoni slices handy:)

harryball
07-29-2014, 11:28 AM
Congrats Harry, Nice looking pup! Hope he's not as bright as a husky/mala/wolf hybrid I had. Not only could open cabinets, but he figured out the 'fridge too:eek: Lost a lot of food and he chewed through bungees and rope until I finally locked fridge with wire rope and carabiner.
Good luck training:) Mine knew to the INCH the distance from my hand to his collar, and if it was a command he didn't approve of--He stayed 1 inch beyond that. Keep the pepperoni slices handy:)

I find training a Husky is more of a negotiation than a command performance, but I think the rewards exceed the effort required. Once they connect they seem to understand what's going on and why.

I've heard that hybrids can be a challenge, while they get the intelligence and interaction skills of a dog they also get the defiance and independence of a wolf. I bet that could get tough quick.

/RB

scottp55
07-29-2014, 11:57 AM
He was a stray and I didn't know about the wolf until his first vet visit. Vet said "I'll be right back---a couple minutes later he came back with a bowl of milk and an egg?" Vet watched as Kudabunk curled his tongue into a straw and sucked the milk down(no lapping). Vet nodded and then put egg on floor, Kuda put egg between paws/put 2 holes in with canines/tilted egg back and sucked the egg dry better than my grandmother:)
Vet had friend who raised wolf hybrids, and apparently egg sucking has been bred out of domestics. He took off once for 10 days and guess where he was found? A chicken farm:)
Good luck with pup, sure he'll make a nice addition to your shop once he settles in.

GlenP
07-29-2014, 01:14 PM
Kudos from me too Harry. Nice looking pup. I know my dog (Abby) is like our third child and a big part of helping me thru the work day here in the shop. Look forward to seeing Benny in some new videos.

Cheers

Bob Eustace
07-29-2014, 08:29 PM
A house is not a home without a dog. And as Jack has taught us, they are great for collecting up shavings!

gene
07-29-2014, 11:50 PM
The more people I meet , the more I like my dog!

mikeacg
07-30-2014, 08:08 AM
Good looking pup Harry!

Love that saying Gene! Going to have to make me a shirt with that on it!

Mike

scottp55
07-30-2014, 08:14 AM
Same here Gene:)
OK to use on a sign?:)

kurt_rose
07-30-2014, 04:37 PM
Good looking pup! Here's a picture of my shop dog. Ace the chocolate lab!

harryball
07-30-2014, 05:03 PM
Good looking pup! Here's a picture of my shop dog. Ace the chocolate lab!

That's a happy dog!

Looks like he's saying "huh huh... Duuuude!"

gene
07-30-2014, 10:00 PM
Scott , Be my guest !

I heard somewhere , that dog stands for depend on god , it works for me !

scottp55
07-31-2014, 07:13 AM
Thanks Gene. Dad liked it, but his wife wants it to read "Cat":)
Dad thinks the cat is a demon and reprograms his computer and hides his paperwork while he's sleeping:)

gene
08-01-2014, 12:23 AM
Tell your dad its not the cat , its gremlins. I have an infestation of them in my shop. They seem to go after tapes and pencils. Who can figure.......

myxpykalix
08-01-2014, 05:29 AM
Gene......it's "Rarry"...he lives in your control box and comes out at night while you're asleep. My nightvision infrared camera caught a picture of him......:rolleyes:

scottp55
08-01-2014, 08:50 AM
Gene, Went to use carpet tape for the first time to hold 1/4" 4X24"maple for buttons to shock and Awe Dad--I've been looking at it for months and I needed it and it had EVAPORATED! Dad looked at MY cat and said "OK-Where did you put it?":)

harryball
08-01-2014, 11:27 AM
Gene, Went to use carpet tape for the first time to hold 1/4" 4X24"maple for buttons to shock and Awe Dad--I've been looking at it for months and I needed it and it had EVAPORATED! Dad looked at MY cat and said "OK-Where did you put it?":)

I would suspect the cat too. On a side note... the Oneida Gorilla 3HP Dust collector has enough suction to pull a cat through a 4" dust gate, up a 5" pipe and drop it in the dust bin. :D Cat never came in the shop again.

gene
08-01-2014, 04:39 PM
Everyone gives cats a hard time when there really quite good if you season and cook them right.

jerry_stanek
08-01-2014, 06:46 PM
Everyone gives cats a hard time when there really quite good if you season and cook them right.

Did you say Cats in the kettle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn2Sa5UGxK8

myxpykalix
08-01-2014, 10:39 PM
Yes cats are useful in the shop and make great pushsticks...especially the stiff ones....:eek::D

mark_stief
08-01-2014, 10:41 PM
Here's two guard dogs you don't want to make mad

myxpykalix
08-01-2014, 10:45 PM
Here's two guard dogs you don't want to make mad

especially if you value your ankles.....:D