View Full Version : Newbie 5 Axis...Any tips...software?

facet
07-30-2014, 01:48 AM
Total novice here. Just picked up 5 Axis and would welcome any and all thoughts on software, usage or???

Thanks!:o

steelhead
07-30-2014, 07:27 AM
Hey Daniel,
I use a software called FeatureCAM, it's a Delcam product. (Well technically Autodesk just recently bought Delcam). I've had it for about 6 years or so, I like it and have no real complaints. Five axis software can be quite expensive and vary from 10k to 50k depending on your requirements. Do Your homework and figure out what your requirements are. Especially make sure that you know the requirements of your Z ,A, and B axis prior to making a decision. For instance let's say you need your "Z" to drop below zero (into a negative plane). Not all 5 axis software will allow it. Also take into consideration the user base of the software you would consider and how long they have been around. (keep in mind the more expensive the software the smaller your user base will likely be). Master CAM and Delcam are probably your two biggest players and priced comparably. If you are going to use it to generate code off of a solid model, FeatureCAM is a good choice, however make sure you have a BIG computer. It will eat up every resource it has and cry for more at times!! Also, it's important that you are familiar and comfortable with working/ drawing in 3d. If not, that would be my first step to make an educated decision on software. One other thing, most if not all of the software's will do an online demo for you. I would recommend that you draw/ model something that is typical, but as complex as possible for the type of work you do. When you have the demo, use that file. Do your Due diligence. Have several companies do a demo for you. Please post back to this thread and let us know which one you go with.

facet
08-17-2014, 10:10 PM
Ben, Just what I needed. Thank you taking the time to respond. Most of our work will be in three axis, but some of our key component need five axis. I will let you know what I go with in the next few weeks as we need to be producing products very soon!

facet
08-21-2014, 11:28 PM
Ben, I went with RhinoCam Premier. Since we are a school we got a great discount.