PDA

View Full Version : Converting from inches to MM

ccwerks
08-14-2014, 08:07 AM
I have recently had to make the switch to mm, Im trying to cut a file designed in MM but the shop bot I don't think is interrupting the file correctly.
Im sure that their is a way to convert the whole shooting match to mm. but im not having any luck. I did reset the values to mm in the fill in sheets but that does not seem to do the trick.
Mark

adrianm
08-14-2014, 08:44 AM
If it's an existing SBP file then you have to run it in the units it was made in as far as I know. The Shopbot software doesn't do a conversion. Specify the units to be used via VD.

If you're generating a file from Partworks/VCarve then thats a slightly different matter as it will convert what ever mix of units into the units specified in the Post Processor used.

You still need to make sure that the Shopbot is set to the same units as the Post Processor though.

Simops
08-14-2014, 05:58 PM
Mark, I use both system of measurements. Sometimes in inches (fall back to my earlier life when everything here was imperial) and sometimes metric when I need to work with odd or precise measurements.....only because fractions and decimal inches does my head in at times.
The SB is great when it comes to this. I have my SB setup in inches and my PP in inches arc as well.
If I draw anything or import into Aspire / VcarvePro I either use inches or use metric.....I save the tool path as per normal using the inches PP as said above.
Then when I'm back in SB if I used mm I change the value in VD to mm (don't use VU). Then C2 and cut as normal.
Also if in Aspire / VcarvePro I setup as inches but want to use mm measurement for something the program will easily convert from one to the other measurement by typing X*M= (where X is in inches) and X*I= (where X is mm).

Cheers

Bob Eustace
08-14-2014, 08:34 PM
Mike you truly dont need to alter SB3 at all. If you say design in metric just SAVE in inch/arcs PP - just load into SB3 exactly as if its an inch file. Its actually brilliant and I think cock up proof. Think it was Steve or Brady put me onto this 6 months or so ago and its a real time saver. The other advantage is you use your standard inch tools DB so you are totally familiar with speeds and feeds so no chance of boring a hole right thru to China!

curtiss
08-14-2014, 08:37 PM
Someone posted this a while back.

Simops
08-15-2014, 10:24 PM
Mike you truly dont need to alter SB3 at all. If you say design in metric just SAVE in inch/arcs PP - just load into SB3 exactly as if its an inch file. Its actually brilliant and I think cock up proof. Think it was Steve or Brady put me onto this 6 months or so ago and its a real time saver. The other advantage is you use your standard inch tools DB so you are totally familiar with speeds and feeds so no chance of boring a hole right thru to China!

Hey Bob...you are correct my bad.....if you want to display SB3 X, Y & Z in mm then you have to use the metric PP and change the VD to mm.

Cheers

adrianm
08-16-2014, 05:04 AM
Does depend on the original file though. If Mike only has the SBP file then he is going to have to run it in the units it was originally designed for.

RGibbs
08-29-2014, 01:30 AM
Hi guys...there is a built in feature to help manage files created in either mm or inches and run it in the other.
The three fields required are called Proportion x,y,z and are found on the PartFile Load fill in page.
The number you enter in these fields is used to scale the values in the file you are about to cut.
For example, if you have a file in mm and want to run in inches mode, then enter 0.039 into each field for each of, X, Y and Z. That will scale mm based numbers to inches.
eg 50.8mm scaled by 0.039 is 2 inches

If you want to go the other way to scale inches to mm, enter 25.4 into the three fields.
eg 2 inches scaled by 25.4 is 50.8mm

knight_toolworks
08-29-2014, 02:01 AM
I have my ski guys give me files in mm. but I cut in inches. so I open their file in aspire make sure it opens in metric. I check the size out to make sure it is right then I copy and paste it into another open copy of aspire thats in inches. all nice and converted with no effort at all. but you have to make sure you have two copies of aspire open to do this.

adrianm
08-29-2014, 06:06 AM
You don't need to do a cut and paste like that. If you load it up and then output the toolpaths using an inches Post Processor all the metric dimensions will be automatically output in inches for the SBP file.