View Full Version : Computer not communicating with bot

wayne_webb
08-18-2014, 06:09 PM
I sure could use some help.
I have a computer, with XP OS, that I have been using to run my old PRT Alpha 96x48 for a few years. The other day, I had to borrow that puter to run a plotter. The plotter, for some reason, would not run on COM 1. 2, 3, 4 so a tech had me set it up for LPT1. I used it like that for a couple of weeks. But when I took the puter back tot he shop and reconnected it to the Shopbot controller, it won't communicate with the bot now. I've tried COM 1, 2, 3 and 4. Any ideas on how to re-configure it? Thanks

wayne_webb
08-19-2014, 02:20 PM
I was told to check the voltage on the power supply. The power supply's label says "48v" but someone has written "40v" on the side in magic marker. My voltmeter is reading 40.2v output on it.

Brady Watson
08-19-2014, 04:59 PM
That is correct. It should be 40-44v for a PRT. You can bring it up to the full 48v ONLY if you have a 4G with Geckos.

-B

wayne_webb
08-19-2014, 06:13 PM
Thanks Brady,
My smaller power supply, inside the control box, is delivering 5.04v at the board, which is also within parameters. I also tried another serial cable.

Brady Watson
08-19-2014, 08:29 PM
Wayne,
It is not impossible that the COM port somehow got fried somewhere along the line. I would buy an IOGear USB to Serial converter and plug that USB into your computer, then the serial cable that goes to the bot to converter. Be sure to install the drivers before you plug it in. You can get them from Amazon or directly from ShopBot. They are of known good quantity - so avoid other brands.

-B

wayne_webb
08-19-2014, 10:41 PM
Thanks Brady,
I Will try it tomorrow.