PDA

View Full Version : Price of lumber to skyrocket?

khaos
08-19-2014, 09:57 AM
Given the proposal here this don't look good for the woodworker.

"Pay your protection money. Do the secret handshake. And kiss the ring.

Otherwise, forget having green activists attach their environmental seal of approval to the wood products harvested from your forest.

That’s essentially the message organizations such as the Natural Resources Defense Council, Friends of the Earth and Greenpeace will be in a position to transmit if the U.S. timber industry submits to a monopoly in forest certification, free market economists argue." Read More... (http://dailysignal.com/2014/08/19/big-green-lobby-wants-to-cut-two-of-three-forestry-branches/)

adrianm
08-19-2014, 11:58 AM
Here in the UK I won't buy any wood product that isn't FSC certified mainly because my customers won't touch it otherwise.

khaos
08-19-2014, 01:29 PM
Here in the UK I won't buy any wood product that isn't FSC certified mainly because my customers won't touch it otherwise.

That's good and bad I guess. Good that folks are aware of conservation and sustainability. Bad that there is a monopoly saying whats god or bad. I guess we will have to see were this goes. I hope it revolves around science rather than politics. I am, however, not hopeful on that front. :(

cowboy1296
08-19-2014, 01:37 PM
are the dolphin humpers at it again?

kevin
08-19-2014, 07:11 PM
In the 3rd world they burn more in a week then we can harvest and use in a lifetime of work

Brady Watson
08-19-2014, 08:30 PM
Adapt & overcome. What other choice do we have?

-B

Ajcoholic
08-19-2014, 09:11 PM
Considering most of the hardwoods I use (besides most of the hard maple, white ash and some red oak) come from the USA, I am interested in this.

Up here, I doubt any of my customers know or care where the wood I use for their furniture is cut. It is just not that advertised by anyone - I know of these things only by reading trade mags, and have never heard or seen it discussed anywhere the typical person would see the information.

Wood is going up like crazy anyhow - some species are almost 50% up from last year. Some 15% to 25%.

Walnut went up the most in the past year.. crazy.