View Full Version : Step motor

terryjones
08-20-2014, 09:38 PM
Good evening everyone,
Last week, my wife was re-organizing the shop and moving some equipment around to make one area more functional. In the process she found a step motor my son had. I was wonder if this motor could be incorporated to become the motor for an indexer on my 48x96 PRT?

Brady Watson
08-21-2014, 08:37 AM
You would need 4G controls & you'd have to do some work arounds to make it work. You'd be better off getting the right stepper for your controls than to try to use this one. Motors are cheap.

-B

terryjones
08-21-2014, 07:11 PM
Brady,
Thank you for the quick response. I have 4G and 2 Z's I bought this machine from Larry High in NC about 8 years ago. He souped it up and then bought an Alpha. What type of work a rounds besides the 4G would I need?

Brady Watson
08-21-2014, 09:13 PM
You need a decent heat sink to mount the Gecko to, since 2 or 3A is the limit without one...which means you'd have to most likely remote wire the Gecko to somewhere other than the factory mounting pins to fit a sink adequate enough. You have to remove the current set resistor on the board for that channel and put one in the Gecko of proper size.

Adapting it to the Alpha is a lot more involved. As I said...motors are cheap & there is nothing special about that motor. In fact, there are lower amp motors available now that will out perform the one you show for not a lot of money - pretty much all over the net.

-B

terryjones
08-24-2014, 09:33 AM
Brady,
Thank you so much for the great information. I will then start looking for a 2A motor as adapting this one is more than I want to tackle at this time.