View Full Version : PVC suggestions for Victorian carving

Chuck Keysor
08-21-2014, 01:49 PM
Hello Shopbot Friends:

Can those of you with PVC experience provide me with some tips and suggestions? Your input will be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Chuck

Background:
I have been asked to make 3 replacement carved Victorian panels which go over each of the three stairs of a big wrap-around porch. All three panels had different designs, but they were removed decades ago. All that remain are some really bad pictures. The first panel I will make is shown in the first attachment. The second attachment shows the dimensions of this carved panel. It is roughly 11 feet across on the base and 31inches high. Based upon other local Victorian carvings, the largest relief carvings may stick out as much as 2" beyond the background.

Because I want this to last forever, and it can be hit by ladders, I want to make this out of cellular PVC. PVC has gotten many good reviews on previous posts for durability, machinability, cost (relative to HDU) and paintability. Weight is not an issue.

Without any significant PVC experience, my uninformed plan would be to make the triangular background panel out of 1/4" thick PVC, with the carved elements being cut out of thicker PVC, and then glued onto the triangular background panel. I would capture the two top edges behind the crown molding, leaving room for weather related expansion and contraction. I would nail or glue this just in the center, to allow for lateral expansion and contraction.

Questions:
1) Are there various grades of PVC? If so, what type should be used?
2) Are there brands that are better for carving/machining than others? If so, what brands are recommended?
3) How should this be attached to the existing wooden sheathing? Nails? Glue? Both?
4) If I nail or glue this just in the center, to allow for lateral expansion and contraction, could the 1/4"thick triangular background panel warp or sag over time?
5) If I nail this in many places so it won't warp, can constrained expansion, or contraction (in the winter) create cracking?

Any answers to these questions, or other observations addressing issues I have missed would be much appreciated!

Thanks, Chuck

Mayo
08-23-2014, 02:27 PM
Chuck, my only experience working with PVC is cutting it in 3/4 and 1 inch thickness. I haven't done any installation. The brand I work with is Azek distributed by ABC Supply. Azek may have fabrication recommendations on their web site.

Years ago when 3mm or 1/8 inch and 1/4 inch PVC panels were first being marketed to the sign industry, it seemed like a stiffer, denser product. Last time I bought some of that from a sign supply company (2 months ago) it was more flexible and softer than I remember, so there may be more than one formulation of it.

The product Azek makes is made for outdoor products but I'm not sure if they have 1/4 inch thickness. You may need to order it.

pappybaynes
08-23-2014, 03:38 PM
KleerŪ Lumber carves wonderfully and is used for trim work on homes...I use it to carve Historical Home signs...comes in sheets and boards

Chuck Keysor
08-23-2014, 04:53 PM
Thanks Mayo and Dick..... The Kleer Lumber looks like the right stuff, and is available in a wide variety of sizes. But the nearest distributor is in Indiana. In looking into this last week, I found a product called Celuka that appears to be very similar to Kleer Lumber, but the nearest distributor for that is in Michigan.... I would think the Chicago area would have distributors for everything. I guess I am wrong....:(

Other suggestions from other users on brands similar to Kleer Lumber that may be available around Chicago?

As to the installation questions, the Kleer Lumber site had some helpful suggestions, which lead me to believe I should nail the PVC heavily.

Any suggestions on the installation issues? Thanks again, Chuck

sam_harbold
08-23-2014, 07:49 PM
We do a fair amount of PVC work and have used several different brands. My 1st choice would be Versatex because it is more uniform in thickness and has a denser core. A close 2nd would be Azek. I have used a little Kleer but did not like it as well as the Versatex and Azek product. The only Celuka product I have used was Koma brand. The Koma product has as harder exterior surface than the other brands listed but the core was very course.

Here are a few jobs using Versatex.

Chuck Keysor
08-23-2014, 09:20 PM
Thanks Sam! I have given a quick scan of the Versatex website, and find that they have two low tier level dealers about 15 miles from where I live, which is pretty good. I have emailed the closer to see if they handle the sheet Versatex goods. Their website also has a series of installation videos, even covering the matter of dealing with expansion and contraction.

I really appreciate your providing your first hand comparison of these materials! And again, this is why I love the Shopbot forum!!! :)

Thanks again, Chuck!