PDA

View Full Version : Specialty 3d Cutters

garyb
02-07-2007, 11:46 AM
For those that attended the Kansas Shopbot Camp and know I have been working on arranging a set of cutters especially designed for 3d work here is the latest update.

The set of 3 cutters designed between Beckwith Decor Products & Onsrud engineering are in production and will be marketed and available only under the BDP label.
This set will be available Feb 26th 2007 as well as all other Onsrud cutters through Beckwith Decor Products & yes we are now an Onsrud dealer. I will post more on the updated website as soon as it becomes available.

For those that are attending the Austin Shopbot Camp Feb 24th ’07 the set will be available and I will have example cuts & recommended feed rates etc to those interested. Also there will be an introductory offer, which we will carry through to March 31st '07

For those that can't make the Austin Camp and want more information or to get on the pre-order list, send an email to info@beckwithdecor.com (mailto:info@beckwithdecor.com) with "BDP 3D" in the subject line.

Brady Watson
02-07-2007, 12:26 PM
Gary,
What are the specs on the cutters?

-B

garyb
02-07-2007, 01:39 PM
Brady,
Oops I guess that would have helped to include in the previous post.

They are a set of 3 solid carbide cutters all with 3" overall length and on a 1/4" shank with ball nose.

BDP001 .063 CED .75 CEL 2 flute RH UP tapered w/con transition @1.5
BDP002 .125 CED 1.5 CEL 3 flute RH UP tapered
BDP003 .250 CED 1.5 CEL 2 flute RH UP

The ° of helix is different for each cutter but is specifically selected for fast & deep 3d profiling.
I currently have over 120 hours logged on one of these cutters alone, which I will take to Austin the 24th & have Wayne cut with it if they wish or if time permitts.

gary

garyb
02-17-2007, 06:26 PM
To everyone that had contacted me re: the BDP - 3d cutter set; they are now in and are being package. You can email me or catch me @ the Austin Camp.
Our revised website will be a little longer coming on line while we incorporate the Onsrud cutter line into it, therefore we will be doing it the old fashion way a little longer.
Thanks Gary.

garyb
03-01-2007, 11:44 PM
Just to update this thread.
The new link is
http://www.beckwithdecor.com/Cutters.html

The shopping cart is now activated for the 3d set, I expect it will still be a couple of weeks before I get the Onsrud line into the shopping cart.
thanks gary

odulfst
04-25-2007, 12:47 PM
Anyone making a small diameter ball nose without the taper?

I want an 1/8" or smaller ball nose that I can plunge straight down several inches without cutting extra material. and unless portercable makes an 1/8" collet I don't know about, it would need the upper shank to be 1/4".

am I going to have to have this custom made? is it too small or fragile?

note: This would only be for cutting high density foam.

Brady Watson
04-25-2007, 01:15 PM
Tony,
Scroll all the way to the bottom of this page: Brady's Tips & Tricks (http://www.shopbottools.com/Brady%27s_tricks.htm) and then go buy a stubby collet chuck. Then browse MSC or other industrial supplier that sells ball end mills. You can get 1/8" and smaller (with 1/8" shank) ball end mills that fit into the stubby collet chuck. No need to pay more for bits that are 1/4" shank, tapered or be limited by your bit selection any longer!

-B

jamesgilliam
04-25-2007, 03:52 PM
Tony, You can also get a 1/4" to 1/8" bushing for the smaller shank bits. I think I got mine from Porter Cable. As far as the length of bit you want check out the roto zip bits. I think they might work, but I have not used them on the bot.

odulfst
04-26-2007, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the tips guys!

Brady, is that price old? or am I looking in the wrong place? Enco has the bit extensions listed for $80

Brady Watson
04-26-2007, 05:34 PM
Tony,
The price is old...inflation!
Still..even if it was $150, it's worth every penny. It REALLY opens up what you can do with your router.

-B

jody_malinich
03-12-2008, 11:54 PM
Brady,

Updating the link to your cutters as the old one above is not correct any longer.

http://www.beckwithdecor.com/index_files/Cutters.htm

jody_malinich
03-13-2008, 01:11 AM
oops, my first post and I get the name wrong. Sorry Brady meant to have Garys name on the above post.

Brady Watson
03-13-2008, 08:37 AM
Actually...you are partially correct
I had SB remove the apostrophe from "Brady's Tricks" so that I could just link to it from here: http://www.shopbottools.com/BradysTricks.htm

-B

garyb
03-13-2008, 09:18 AM
Thanks Jody, software upgrade added the additional folder, I'm afraid we get busy and let the troll bots do the updates and forget about the physical links placed on the forums.

Will be updating in about 4 weeks when we introduce our large speciality V-Bits but the link will remain the same
g.