PDA

View Full Version : 54 weeks since my first cut--THANK YOU FORUM!

scottp55
09-12-2014, 07:06 AM
I just realized that a year and two weeks had passed since I made my first cut on the Desktop that I had made the file! Can't believe I missed my Machines first real birthday:( Kinda like forgetting a first anniversary without the severe repercussions:) My 'Bot forgives me because she get's her Z-Upgrade installed today.
I just wanted to personally thank this forum for all the help we received before and after we got our Desktop. Without all your help we wouldn't be halfway as far along as we are!
This Forum and Shopbot support are the real Heart of the Shopbot experience for Newbies without a clue. An order of magnitude more reliable than our computers!:)
A sincere thanks from me for all the help.
Scott Plaisted

BrandanS
09-12-2014, 07:29 AM
Happy Anniversary Scott!

And I agree, this forum community deserves special mention for all the selfless and earnest advice it provides to SBer's. The support we provide for each other is nothing less than admirable. A special thanks to all! I know I've been helped time and again.

I just realized that a year and two weeks had passed since I made my first cut on the Desktop that I had made the file! Can't believe I missed my Machines first real birthday:( Kinda like forgetting a first anniversary without the severe repercussions:) My 'Bot forgives me because she get's her Z-Upgrade installed today.
I just wanted to personally thank this forum for all the help we received before and after we got our Desktop. Without all your help we wouldn't be halfway as far along as we are!
This Forum and Shopbot support are the real Heart of the Shopbot experience for Newbies without a clue. An order of magnitude more reliable than our computers!:)
A sincere thanks from me for all the help.
Scott Plaisted

shilala
09-12-2014, 10:29 AM
Congratulations on your first year, brother!!!
Agreed on all points. I'm pretty sure I owe Brady dinner, at least.

ssflyer
09-12-2014, 10:32 AM
Happy Anniversary Scott!
This forum is one of the very best parts of owning a ShopBot! Thanks to all! :D

cowboy1296
09-12-2014, 12:26 PM
Heck it took me almost that long to figure out where the on/off switch was.

MogulTx
09-12-2014, 12:55 PM
CONGRATS! You are doing fantastic stuff! And only been doing this for a year!

Surprisingly, I have been on here for nearly 4 years. I am still learning- which is why I spend a fair amount of time here every week. It is a FANTASTIC place to be!

I have done a lot of "practical" stuff- and am starting to do a lot of things I find are interesting or artistic... What a fun experience!

Monty

Steve Wonser
09-12-2014, 01:41 PM
Wow, only a year. I can't believe how much knowledge you have gained in that short period of time. The work you do looks great!

I want to publicly thank you for all of the help you have given me. It is really appreciated!

Steve

dana_swift
09-12-2014, 02:20 PM
Scott - indeed congratulations! After a certain number of posts you became a contributor as well as a student of the forum. When that occurs, you really earn the senior member stripes.

Well done!

Glad your Z is coming and you will get a max-z prox switch with it. That is a huge improvement over the original design. I don't know if I was the first person to recommend the feature, but I'm glad its part of the factory design now.

The whole process of manufacturing with computers is so dynamic, in another 10-20 years you will be one of the old timers that "remember when.." and will tell stories to uninterested new-comers. Kind of like me and computers, or electronics- sigh.

But I have to say its a great time to be alive, and a real pleasure to correspond with the many members of the forum as a Shopbot owner and fellow traveler-

:)

D

scottp55
09-12-2014, 02:33 PM
Thanks All :)
Morning didn't QUUUIIITE as planned.
What was that corollary to "Murphy's Law"?
Oh yeah, "Murphy was an optimist" :)
Nice to give back, and not "Take".
Also nice to ask not QUITE as stupid questions.
Let's see now----coat hanger trammell? (You'd think I would have ONE wire coathanger in the house!!--------But Noooo!) :)

khaos
09-12-2014, 04:26 PM
Thanks All :)
Morning didn't QUUUIIITE as planned.
What was that corollary to "Murphy's Law"?
Oh yeah, "Murphy was an optimist" :)
Nice to give back, and not "Take".
Also nice to ask not QUITE as stupid questions.
Let's see now----coat hanger trammell? (You'd think I would have ONE wire coathanger in the house!!--------But Noooo!) :)

Welding rod works too.

POPS 64
09-12-2014, 04:27 PM
Congrats Scott , you are definitely doing nice work. And I appreciate the advise and pointers you've shared with me . Just think were you'll be this time next year. Jeff :D

Burkhardt
09-12-2014, 06:05 PM
Let me add to that and thank the forum for welcoming me as a shopbotless person. While I came here (with Nancy's permission) to post about my dovetail program, I am still here one year and 374 posts later to get advice and post pictures of my wacky projects. I learned a lot, appreciate all the feedback and it is a pleasure hanging out here. Yes, and sometimes I may get a Shopbot, too....

scottp55
09-12-2014, 08:19 PM
Thanks Joe, no welding rod, but Humungous Aluminum cable(No idea where electricians used it) left over from house and one strand will work perfectly with 1/8" collet in the AM. Go at it fresh in the morning, as I want it to be "Dead Nut" for inlays.
Gert, I for one am glad you came. Everyone needs a "Whacky Professor" type hanging around:) Although if I were your neighbor, I would subtlety insert "Oh, not using anything Flammable/explosive/radioactive/DeathRay'ish are you?" into every conversation:) You and the guy helping me today (Mo) would get along great! We were staring at those two stupid bolts and he said "Oh! I could get it apart in my shop, but I'd have to take it with me and bring it back Monday, OR, I can drop by Monday with a few tools....You Know.... welding torch,jackhammer,wrecking bar, and....Oh Yeah! Blasting Caps! Definitely Blasting Caps!" :)
Yup, you guys would get along great! :)

Ajcoholic
09-13-2014, 01:59 PM
Scott, it seems you've been around longer than that... myself I have been posting for close to 3 yrs now but it seems like that flew by very quickly.

I have been a member on several forums I eventually got frustrated and/or tied with and left. This is the only one that seems to be constant in the sense it is full of very nice people, without any BS. Just a great place to hang around and both share ideas, learn and also even give back and help others too.

AJC

scottp55
09-13-2014, 02:58 PM
Andrew, Probably just seems longer than that because I Yak so much it would seem like you've been Tuning me out Forever:)
Actually, I started asking stupid questions a year ago April, and the help we got here went a Long way to deciding what machine to buy.
I'm finding Vectric forum just as helpful from the design side as I'm computer challenged:)