View Full Version : HDU Foam

jwa1156
09-15-2014, 01:00 PM
Purchased some HFU foam 15 lb to practice cutting and design etc.
How has anyone finished HFU Foam?
What did you use to seal the foam if any

Thanks

bleeth
09-15-2014, 06:49 PM
Go to precision boards site-tons of info from them on sealing, painting , etc.
Any exterior latex paints it fine and you can use exterior latex sealer as well.
Sherwin Williams has all you really need unless you are wanting to get into metallics.
Look up the blogs by a guy named Dan Swaatsky. If he doesn't inspire and educate you about foam board, no-one will.

dlcw
09-15-2014, 10:05 PM
Jerry I've attached a picture of an 18lbs HDU (Precision Board) sign I just completed recently. I used the primer specified by the Precision Board manufacturer. Sprayed it, sanded and had a beautiful surface on which to paint. Used Sherman Williams indoor/outdoor paint. Customer plan is to hang it inside but used paint that would enable them to put it outside if they want.

The sign is about 8' long and 4' wide. I plowed out a pocket in the back almost the size of the sign and epoxied (West Marine epoxy) in a piece of 1/2" plywood to attach hangers to.

bleeth
09-16-2014, 06:26 AM
Hey Don-Glad you posted a pic of that one finally! Came out fabulous.

dlcw
09-16-2014, 11:27 AM
It did Dave.

The HDU carved perfectly with zero chipout. Very impressed with the stuff. A sign maker in Sandpoint is interested in talking about me carving signs and them painting them. I look forward to talking with them this month. :)

Brady Watson
09-16-2014, 02:18 PM
Don,
Great work! ~ Especially the paint ;)

-B

dlcw
09-16-2014, 03:17 PM
Thank you for the kind remarks guys. I didn't mean to hijack this thread.

My sister is the painter. I can do the 3D stuff but she is the artist when it comes to coloring. I was blown away when she showed it to me.

jwa1156
09-17-2014, 06:22 PM
Don, Dave
thanks for the info,
great group willing to share tips and tricks
Great sign
Only hope to do half as good