PDA

View Full Version : ISense scanner frustration

myxpykalix
09-18-2014, 07:26 PM
I was interested in getting this however both places i have inquired about it don't have any scanned objects they can send to judge the quality and their policy is once you buy it there is no returning it even if it doesn't give you the quality scans you seek.
I really don't want to spend $500.00 only to use it once and find out it isn't suitable then not be able to return it.
I know there are a few guys who may have this and wondered if you have anything you have scanned and could send me an object to check out or offer some advice on quality?:confused:

Brady Watson
09-18-2014, 08:07 PM
Consider it a blessing in disguise. I sincerely feel bad for you guys who think somehow a clip on scanner for your phone or 'cutting board' is going to be 'all that'. Good linear optics are expensive and the key to good reliable scanning results. Stop being fooled by the scanner of the month...You will never be happy with these cheap devices (or photogrammetry/123D). Until the price of optics comes down, anything decent will still cost some coin.

-B

myxpykalix
09-18-2014, 08:14 PM
I understand it is not going to give me the quality like the non contact laser or like your setup:) but i'd like to get "reasonable" results. That was why i thought some like Jim or Andrew who have one might give me some advice as to their results.

cabnet636
09-20-2014, 03:07 AM
Brady is right, The sense is fun but it is not the end all to scanner needs not even close.

I had some decent results with live faces, for the Buck the files may have needed some work But hey there is a Balance in everything.. I did not get good results with the small objects I showed it at the Aspire camp and have posted some of the results, I am at home now and most of my files are at work.

I came close to selling my next engine until I saw Micheal Tylers use of one recently, and if work slows down a bit I am gonna get him to teach me more about mine,, Maybe just maybe we can use this as some new subject matter at next years Aspire Camp (Hint Hint)

Brady Watson
09-20-2014, 06:12 AM
Maybe just maybe we can use this as some new subject matter at next years Aspire Camp (Hint Hint)

Y'all proddin' me? :p

-B

cabnet636
09-20-2014, 07:35 AM
Ya think.... I could make some real good time for you !!

myxpykalix
09-20-2014, 11:06 AM
So James if i wanted to scan something like architectural mouldings or rifle stocks, or balusters do you think it would do a decent job on something like that?
I downloaded one object here it is rendered. What i'm unclear on is, it looks like the scanner will give you a scan that is not very detailed but then it wraps the jpg as a texture making it look like it is very detailed and good quality.

The obvious problem with that is we don't use the texturemap and if we tried to carve that you would get the quality you see in the grey picture.....right?

Didn't even notice i just hit the 7000 mark!