PDA

View Full Version : Have simple question on Indexer

jwa1156
09-24-2014, 04:47 PM
I purchased the Rotary Indexer with my ShopBot Desktop.
This seems to be one of the items that Shopbot does not have any training material online our in written form on how to setup.
The ASPIRE tutorial on 2-2.5D Techniques
Sub Section Video D06 – Rotary Job Setup and Machining.
Gives very good instructions on the software side and are straight forward, in which they suggest using the Cylinder axis (Bottom) as the Zeroing reference. .
What it does not go into is how to exactly do that as it pertains to the Center of the cylinder
Or how to set the X and Y Axes since like the Z axes are not above and the table top and do not give what the correct offset would be to have the cutter start are the left edge of the material held by the Rotary Indexer.
Any help suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Brady Watson
09-24-2014, 05:39 PM
Zero your Z to the point of the live center by carefully setting it manually.

Zero X anywhere along the length of your material so that you don't ever go negative into the chuck. It is good to have ambient material at min/max X.

Zero Y to center of stock using live center point as visual reference & sharp v-bit in spindle.

Zero B anywhere in the rotation.

There is little in terms of reference materials. Just do it & you will learn.

-B

jwa1156
09-25-2014, 01:17 AM
Great Info now I know where to start
Thanks again

jwa1156
09-25-2014, 01:02 PM
What is the B Axes
It is not mentioned in the ASPIRE Tutorial on Wrapping
Thanks for you help
This is a little challenging for me
Legally Blind Iraqi Vet
Doing wood work as Blind Rehab or at least started that way.
Now trying to expand my knowledge and skill

bob_dodd
09-25-2014, 01:39 PM
Jerry The B axis is the rotary axis 0 DEG to 360 DEG , It should be set in SB3 window to DEG not inch

If your indexer is mounted along the X axis and you wanted to make something 3 inch dia you file before wrapping would be 9.42 in wide (Y ) 3* 3.14=9.42 inch

In the Shopbot software SB3 under T tools I indexer is another way to approach

ChrisK
09-26-2014, 12:45 AM
Thank you for your service. I'm always looking for training alternatives - not much offered in southern WV. I just subscribed to training program offered by Legacy (http://www.legacycncwoodworking.com/accelerated-training/). $200 per year. Good video archives, with a whole series on "spindles." Great projects -- with the CAD and CAM files ready to download - many in Aspire. But, maybe even more helpful, attend a camp, great presentations. And, I learned so much just by listening to conversations between attendees and speakers during the breaks. Best of luck.

myxpykalix
09-28-2014, 07:21 AM
Jerry,
Do you want to know the EASY way to set your Zzero to the Cylinder axis (Bottom)..actually the center of your stepper motor?

Make a jig! This is nothing more then a piece of wood cut to a measured line that is actually the center of the dimple in the shaft of your indexer motor and it is the same height as the tip on your tailstock.

Now mine is bigger but you can use the same idea only smaller.

Get a laser (I bought mine at BigLots for $5.00) Line it up with dimple in indexer shaft.
Get a piece of wood and place it in front of that same shaft with laser line projecting on it.
Mark a line on the wood where the laser is and cut it to that height.

Now anytime you need to find center (bottom) just pull your trusty jig out plop it in front of your indexer chuck and use your aluminum plate to Zzero to the top of the jig and you are centered.

myxpykalix
09-28-2014, 07:40 AM
Chris,
Do you have a legacy or a Shopbot? I thought their training was only for those who owned a legacy machine? Also i thought since their machine is a (faux) 5 axis machine that their toolpaths and files were made for their machines and wouldn't necessarily work on a shopbot for say a spiral tapered column...
If you ever get to central Virginia (Charlottesville) you can come by and i'll teach you how to do this.......

David Iannone
09-29-2014, 02:41 AM
Nice piece jack

myxpykalix
10-01-2014, 02:02 PM
......that's what she said...:eek::D:rolleyes: