PDA

View Full Version : Lubricating my shopbot

tlempicke
09-26-2014, 05:54 PM
While installing my new table I have taken the old one off and am in the process of cleaning up the old girl. Going to put new pinions in even though the old ones look serviceable. They are just too cheap not to while the machine is down.

It has been lubricated with different types of grease products in the past which have mixed with sawdust, aluminum chips and plastic dust to create a pretty firm goo.

At one time a lubricant called "Dri Slide" was touted as being the answer to that problem.

What do you guys use to lubricate the rack?

myxpykalix
09-27-2014, 07:33 AM
I've used "Dyna Glide"
http://legacywoodworking.com/products.cfm?product=12

I haven't bought any in a while and i bet it's probably the same as what you mention

myxpykalix
09-27-2014, 07:35 AM
I've used "Dyna Glide"
http://legacywoodworking.com/products.cfm?product=12

I haven't bought any in a while and i bet it's probably the same as what you mention. It's slicker then snot on an ice patch....(I just made that up:D)

adrianm
09-27-2014, 07:47 AM
I use white lithium grease which I clean and replace every two weeks which is roughly 40 hours of running for me as per the maintenance schedule.

Just done the quarterly maintenance this morning and noticed some wear on the pinions so I need to get some ordered for stock.

shilala
09-27-2014, 09:13 AM
I use Boeshield T-9 (http://www.amazon.com/Boeshield-Corrosion-Protection-Waterproof-Lubrication/dp/B001447PEK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411823551&sr=8-1&keywords=boeshield). It doesn't gather up gunk at all and lasts an amazingly long time.

supertigre
09-27-2014, 11:04 PM
I've been using dry Moly on the racks for a few years now and there is no wear that I can see.

geneb
09-29-2014, 01:57 PM
Adrian, how do you use that lithium grease without it getting everywhere? I've only ever seen it in spray cans.

tnx.

g.

adrianm
09-29-2014, 02:15 PM
I got a 5kg tub of it years ago at a model engineering show in London. Only used about a third of it so should last a long time yet. The label has long since gone but there is DuPont stamp on the bottom of the tub.

I would think the aerosol stuff would be too thin.

paul_z
09-29-2014, 02:47 PM
The aerosol stuff thickens up in a few minutes but it is a mess to spray.

adana
09-29-2014, 05:19 PM
My aging bot is likely suffering a little from my "when I remember to" approach to maintenance. I'm trying to turn over a new leaf, so I was pleased to see this thread.

Adrian, what does it look like to see wear on the pinions? Do you have (or can you recommend where to go to find) comparison images?

Do you use a grease gun to apply the grease?

Thanks!

bleeth
09-29-2014, 05:51 PM
Lithium comes in squeeze tubes, cans, and grease gun tubes, like most greases. Regular tool grease doesn't get as hard from the sawdust as quickly. Penalty of both is grease streaks on shirts or pants if you're not careful.I've never tried the aerosols like Boeshield for this. Sounds like a decent idea if it does keep the wear on pinions down long term.
Stuff like Dri-cote isn't made for gear lubrication, but at least CRC dry-molybdenum says it is for gears, chains, etc.

Brady Watson
09-29-2014, 05:55 PM
Schluckification (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showpost.php?p=169995&postcount=11)

-B

adana
09-29-2014, 06:22 PM
Awesome, thanks guys. I'll get to schluckifying asap!

phil_o
09-30-2014, 07:52 AM
I use white lithium grease which I clean and replace every two weeks which is roughly 40 hours of running for me as per the maintenance schedule.

Just done the quarterly maintenance this morning and noticed some wear on the pinions so I need to get some ordered for stock.

hi Adrian,

how do you clean the lithium grease from the gears?

Phil

adrianm
09-30-2014, 08:30 AM
Adrian, what does it look like to see wear on the pinions? Do you have (or can you recommend where to go to find) comparison images?

I can't really see the wear but I know it's there as there is a fraction more movement when I do the push/pull test compared to the last maintenance check.

It's just starting to show as a faint ripple on some cuts.

adrianm
09-30-2014, 08:31 AM
how do you clean the lithium grease from the gears?

Brass and nylon brushes with a bit of WD40 and some old t-shirts to clean up with. I re-grease regularly enough that cleaning it off isn't normally an issue. I did forget about the Z for a few months when I first got the 'bot and that took a while to clean off!

scottp55
09-30-2014, 10:33 AM
Brady, Think it may make it into the CNC Lexicon(Not positive about Webster's Unabridged though) :)

adana
09-30-2014, 04:08 PM
Schluckification has definitely already made it into my shop vocab. It's a fine word.

So, after some thorough schluckifying and general bonding with the bot, I've identified a different problem area (stop me if this is too tangential for this thread and should be taken elsewhere...). It's pretty much identical to what William posted here (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2939), except I'm definitely experiencing lower cut quality than in the past and I'm pretty eager to improve it.

Is this a motor problem? Is this repairable? Should I be chatting with Frank?

Thanks all.

myxpykalix
09-30-2014, 05:40 PM
Schluckification has definitely already made it into my shop vocab. It's a fine word.

So no one would be offended if they were told to go Schluck thereselves right?:eek::D:rolleyes:

adana
09-30-2014, 09:23 PM
Well now, that's always gonna depend on context, isn't it!

Frank recommended attempting to tighten the backlash adjustment screw inside the motor's gearbox. If that can't take up the slop them my motor may be shot :-(