View Full Version : Desktoppers who work with hardwood - can you share cut times?

sybersport
09-30-2014, 10:59 AM
I know that the total cut time will depend alot on the type of wood, shape, detail, cutter used etc. - but I'm looking to get some general feedback on cut times for hardwoods.

For example - if I wanted to perform a profile cut on 3/4" thick hard maple into a 4" diameter circle, and I used the optimum bit and rates, how long would it take to cut out the shape?

I'm asking b/c I'm trying to get a sense of production time for my wooden baby toys.

Thanks!

bleeth
09-30-2014, 02:11 PM
Oh-Around 7-10 seconds with three passes and a 1/4" compression bit.
I cut 6" circles all the time for making cornhole boards for a guy and it takes around 5 in 2 passes from 3/4 ply. I tend to be more conservative on hardwood (as far as passes goes). This is an Alpha with spindle running at 6ips. Pretty sure my entire time from start to cut to going back home is around 12 seconds, but home is at 50" in X.
Standards with router will take around twice as long.

Desktop or full size will cut pretty much the same speed on something like that. I'm holding with a vacuum and if you are clamping you will need to leave a skin or bridges. Cleaning up the edges perfect will take longer than cutting.

scottp55
09-30-2014, 07:51 PM
Depends on a lot of things, but just ran 2 of my bit's that are dialed in for hard Maple to give me a quality cut with minimal sanding and got 1minute 4 seconds on one and 2:45 on the other. But then I'm very conservative and hate sanding and don't even own a compression bit. Desktop tops out at 4IPS (Inches Per Second) but you'll rarely be cutting that fast in hardwoods if you want the best finish. Sorry Dave, just what I've found is best for ours.

bleeth
10-01-2014, 06:56 AM
No problem Scott. Sounds like you are cutting very conservatively if it takes that long to cut a 4" circle. I don't recall whether you have a router or spindle. What feed speed, how many passes, are you ramping that, etc?

scottp55
10-01-2014, 09:07 AM
Thanks Dave, Don't know where my mind was last night when I did a down and dirty new file for Darrel, but can't seem to match up times on the laptop(different settings for a built in proto "Fudge factor" so I don't shoot myself in the foot when giving Dad estimates).
Pretty much always use 1/2 Diameter pass depth and toss in a last pass of .001" to eliminate "fuzz" and deflection. For circles I use a spiral ramp and linear cuts usually 2-5 times diameter ramp.
Teeny bit to maximize small nested parts and wood is a Kyocera(for Carvewright 1"CEL) .125" 4Flute EndMill UP and run at 2.6,.5,10K (likes Conventional cut for some reason).
Like I said times don't match up though and can't remember other bit, though it was probably an Onsrud .25" LH(Downcut Darrel-starter set-LOUD).
Post more later, got to set up Purpleheart for a button run for Dad and he'll be here in an hour!! Got to run.

scottp55
10-01-2014, 09:28 AM
Oh! Darren, Probably get some time after Dad leaves and toss some scrap on.
Need to dial in an Onsrud .18" 1FUP anyways. I was thinking those circles are probably for wheels and would need an axle hole and should use only 1 Bit for both if you can get away with it. Give me axle diameter and I'll give both a try.

sybersport
10-01-2014, 12:10 PM
Scott,

Wow - thanks so much for going out of your way to help!

Regarding specifics - I suggested a circle because it was easiest to describe. I'm actually planning to make wooden toys cut into animal shapes, like this

http://www.bannortoys.com/baby-rattles/wooden-baby-rattle-toy-elephant

I guess I'm moreso just curious to start estimating the total cost of each unit - so material cost + cut time + finish sanding (if required.)

Thanks so much for your help! Amazing

Kyle Stapleton
10-01-2014, 12:46 PM
I will have the kids run a board of these today.

scottp55
10-01-2014, 02:08 PM
Thanks Kyle, Dad JUST left and I'm right in the middle of a batch of Purpleheart buttons(cuts beautifully with a .125" 60 engraving at 1.1,.5,15K but needs 2-3 Passes) and then going to call it an early day.
BTW had bookkeeper over for a company meeting an hour and a half and had Desktop running the whole time with the Fein running the whole time(power level 2)with all three of us within 6' of the machine and barely had to raise our voices even when running a surfacing routine with a 1.25" mortising bit allthough had to turn the vac up for that. On clean up passes without Fein you could talk normally at 15K.

scottp55
10-01-2014, 02:24 PM
Granted teeny cuts, but 16K. Got to love running a file 3 times on something this size accurately.:)

Kyle Stapleton
10-01-2014, 03:12 PM
Takes about 1:00 min.
.25 down cut
12000rpm
2 ips
Came out nice with tabs.

sybersport
10-02-2014, 10:30 AM
Kyle - thank you so much! I still can't believe how supportive the Shopbot community is!

This is so helpful - it allows me to more accurately estimate what my total cost per unit will be!!

physical
01-11-2015, 10:25 AM
Kyle - what tool/bit did you use for that test?

Brady Watson
01-11-2015, 10:34 AM
Takes about 1:00 min.
.25 down cut
12000rpm
2 ips
Came out nice with tabs.

.25" Downcut via Onsrud (http://www.onsrud.com/product/Item/m/itemDetail.html?itemId=57-280)

There's no way that the tool will actually go the full indicated 2"/50mm per second on that part, as it is too small & convoluted. A more realistic speed may be somewhere in the 0.7-1.2 inches per second value, or 20-30mm/sec. This will reduce the amount of ramping the tool needs to do and result in a smoother running tool & cut.

If the tool sounds like it is working hard, increase RPM. If you are burning, lower RPM.

-B

Kyle Stapleton
01-11-2015, 11:27 AM
Brady is right, it was set to 2ips but never got there.
I was using a CTM or vortex .25" downcut. Don't have the number off hand.