PDA

View Full Version : Florida Keys Camp Shopbot Feb 2 2008

billp
11-07-2007, 01:57 PM
On Saturday Feb 2, 2008 Gary Campbell will host our first Camp in the Florida Keys at his shop in Tavernier,FL.
Since it's a few months away we'll have some time to nail down the specific topics that we're going to cover, and it also gives all those planning to attend a chance to make their travel plans early. We hope to have hotel/motel info posted shortly, (and I'd advise those of you traveling from out of the area to book EARLY as it is "peak season" in the Keys around this time...).
Here are the driving directions, and a map to Gary's shop:
Shop Address is 161 Georgia Ave. Tavernier, FL 33070
Directions are:
Florida’s Turnpike South to end.

Merge onto US1 South at Florida City

US1 South to MM92

At the MM92 sign you will see a double yellow “Emergency” light over the road

There is a TIB Bank on the Corner on Right. MM92 marker is on corner

At MM92 Turn right onto Jo Jean Way (NW)

Immediately bear left onto Marine Ave. (W)

Immediately bear Left onto Tavernier St. (SW)

Georgia Ave is 1st Street on right

Our shop is last building on Left. (Only 1 Block long)

Gary Campbell
12-01-2007, 10:54 AM
The Florida Keys Camp ShopBot will be held on Feb 2nd, 2008 at the address listed above. We will also be having an "Open House" with the grills going and a few coolers open, Friday the 1st. Directions are above.

If you feel you have something to present, please use contact info below to contact me. Bill Palumbo will be posting additional info in the next week or so. Please email me at islaww (at)comcast(dot)net to confirm attendance. Put Camp ShopBot in the subject line to get thru the spam filter.

Nearby Hotel info: all were called and do have open rooms.

Tavernier Hotel $145
95230 Overseas Highway (O.H.)
305 852-4131

Bay Breeze Motel $150-200
160 Sterling Rd
305 852-5248

Keys Motel $129 (-Camp Discount)
90611 Old Hiway
305 852-8799

Conch On Inn $100 (-Camp Discount)
103 Caloosa St.
305 852-9309

Islamorada Hotel $80-100
87760 O.H.
305 852-9376

Lookout Lodge $150-370
87770 O.H.
305 852-9915

**usual disclaimer about taxes etc.
If you are coming it is a VERY good idea to book early as these rooms will ALL be full. A couple motels will discount rooms for the camp if you ask. Any questions or volunteers, please contact myself or Bill P.
Gary

Gary Campbell
12-01-2007, 11:20 AM
Part 2
Here is a tenative Schedule that Bill P. emailed me. Since we are low in ShopBot experience I will look to the community for presenters and contributors. We, of course will have some examples of the "stuff" we have been doing over the last few months, but all basic.

(from Bill P.)
8-9 AM- "Coffee/donut session"
9AM - Sessions start
Lunch is provided by Shopbot
Camp usually ends between 4-5 PM

Generally speaking we'll be covering the following:
Software options
Vacuum hold down systems
Materials
Sign making
Panel processing
And whatever else the group is interested in. If you have any specific interests get back with me, and I'll see if we can include them as well.
Keep an eye on the Forum in the next few weeks for updates. Regards, Bill Palumbo
Gary

dubliner
01-04-2008, 10:12 PM
I'm planning on attending & I was wondering if I might tag along for a ride back to Miami Intl. Airport on Saturday Evening after the camp or on Sunday morning? I havent booked my flight yet but would appreciate a lift if possible, Thanks Neville

Gary Campbell
01-06-2008, 10:30 AM
Between Bill P. and Myself we have a list of attendees to the Feb. 2nd, 08 Camp ShopBot. They are, at present:

Darren Salyet
David Marcotte
Jim & Allison Stoddart
Doug Smith
Ron Lester
Bryson Wagner
Jay Keeler
Richard Bolt
Charles Kurak
Neville Stewart
Lou Mauriello
Ian & Candy Cole
Doug Smith
Roger Milner

If you are not on the list, and plan on attending, please email me at islaww(at)comcast(dot)net. Same goes for on the list and can't make it.
If you plan on bringing a "Show and Tell" item please email that info with a brief description.
If there is something specific that you have questions on, or would like to see, please include that also.
Thank You and looking forward to seeing you all.
Gary

bill.young
01-06-2008, 03:36 PM
I wouldn't miss it...I'll be there.

Bill

Gary Campbell
01-06-2008, 04:12 PM
I apologize for not including the 2 Bill's from ShopBot.
Mr. Bill Young
Mr. Bill Palumbo

bill
01-06-2008, 07:39 PM
There wouldn't happen to be a Bill Lisica on that list anywhere?

Bill

Gary Campbell
01-06-2008, 08:42 PM
Sorry Bill...
I must have a "Bill" mental block going.
Gary

bcammack
01-10-2008, 01:54 PM
Well, it looks like our trip to the Keys will be stymied by lack of employer support regarding the cost of lodging. Just can't afford those rates right now so soon after Christmas.

Gary Campbell
01-20-2008, 06:20 PM
Now that the Atlanta Camp has successfully completed, we are now looking to confirm all that are coming the the Islamorada Camp on Feb. 2nd. Here is the list of attendees that we have at the moment. Please confirm and note if you are bringing a Show & Tell item. You may also bring digital media. Please email to: islaww(at)comcast(dot)net. If you have questions you may call (305) 747-6218 (cell) Also let us know if you will be stopping in on Friday.

Bill Palumbo
Bill Young
Gary G. Campbell
Gary Campbell Jr.

Darren Salyet
David Marcotte
Jim & Allison Stoddart
Doug Smith

Ron Lester
Bryson Wagner
Jay Keeler
Richard Bolt

Charles Kurak
Neville Stewart
Ian & Candy Cole
Doug Smith

Roger Milner
Bill Lisica
John Kocsis
Dave and Debbie Dalley

Just in case you are on the fence, weather wise the 10 day shows this:

I am looking forward to meeting Y'All. Travel Safe, Gary

bill
02-03-2008, 03:14 PM
Just back from camp. I am SO GLAD I went! Want to thank ShopBot for all the information provided and their sponsorship. Want to thank Gary for opening his shop up for us and all of his help, info and ideas! I too would like to thank Gary for his personal sacrifice to offer up quality woodworking to the residents of the Florida Keys' community. How he, without the faintest whisper of pain, endures the tropical surroundings, bone chilling 68' nights and the blistering 82' days! Once again, Thanks to all.

Gary Campbell
02-03-2008, 03:49 PM
My son and I would like to thank all that attended our Camp. A special thanks to Bill P. and those that brought show and tell items. I can only hope that I will be able to reach your abilities. There is so much to learn!

I would also like to thank the ShopBot Tools staff for their help and having enough confidence in us, as relatively new users, to allow us to host this camp.

Bill L. You are most welcome
Bill Y. You were missed, and get well soon.
Gary

bryson
02-04-2008, 11:14 AM
I would like to thank Gary and Gary Jr for hosting the camp. I always come away with knowlege and ideas and in this case some great vector art. I also know how much work is involved with getting the shop cleaned up!!
Bryson

billp
02-05-2008, 07:33 AM
It was a great Camp, and both Gary's went out of their way to show us some of their clever machine modifications. We'll be showing a lot of their ideas on the Shopbot Wiki, but in the meantime you can see Camp pix on the Shopbot Flickr page;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/campshopbot/

billp
02-05-2008, 07:57 AM
Blog's up as well !
http://campshopbot.blogspot.com/
Thanks again to both of the Gary's for being such gracious hosts and having all of us at their shop!!!