PDA

View Full Version : 1/4" round over profile tool path

BPM
10-14-2014, 08:13 PM
Thanks in advance!

Generally - looking for advice on a round over tool path - after I do my cutout profile -

Do you typically offset the toolpath? 'On' the vector, or 'outside' ...

Basic advice is what I'm looking for!

Brent

markevans
10-14-2014, 08:38 PM
Not giving much to go on but yes, if using VCarve and a round over bit you will generally need to offset to the outside. I have not seen them for 1/4" but if you have a 1/2" router/spindle there are bits that will do the cutout and round over in one cut.

garyb
10-14-2014, 08:40 PM
depends on the type of roundover
eg a plunging roundover would be offset 1/2 of the plunging diameter to the outside.
Gary

bobmoore
10-14-2014, 09:05 PM
Look for an ovolo bit Brent, which is a roundover radius with an end mill in the center. I have 1/4 inch radius with 1/4 end mill and 5/16 and 3/8 radius with 1/2 inch end mill. In your tool setup use the pilot or endmill diameter as your tool diameter. Run them outside the vector of couse. I would run the radius first and then the cut out as you will get a cleaner roundover with less chance of chip out.
Bob

POPS 64
10-15-2014, 07:41 AM
Brent , I use a pointed roundover bit . set depth , cut to the outside , then go back with end mill to finish cutout. Unless you are already doing a finished size.

t_vandemark
10-15-2014, 08:59 AM
I use a pointed round over bit. I first do my round over profile pass "ON" your tool path that you want rounded over. Just set your cut depth to the radius of your round over. Then i run my "OUTSIDE" profile/cutout pass with what ever endmill best suits my needs. By doing it in this order i don't chance the risk of anything moving around on me during the round over tool path. I havent tried one of those fancy end mill/round over all in ones yet but im sure the would work to. For those just simply set tool path to the "OUTSIDE". Only downside to those is you would need vacuum hold down and a different size bit for every thinkness of material or raise your material enough to cut through your material without destroying you spoil board.

Joe Porter
10-15-2014, 12:29 PM
Brent, I would look in the Help File in V-Carve and find the section on how to enter a shaped bit. Then you would have an accurate toolpath preview and be able to see what you will get...joe

scottp55
10-16-2014, 08:49 AM
Brent, these were cut with the Magnate #7507 cutting ON the line in .24" stock.
Like Joe said you have to create the form tool profile in Vectric and then you get exact previews which is nice, as then you can see when the shoulder starts cutting.
Tutorial G14 on this page.http://support.vectric.com/tut-vcp-feature-reference