PDA

View Full Version : Made In Canada Camp ShopBot

kerrazy
03-19-2003, 09:00 PM
Hey there, looking for someone in Canada to show your creations to? Or just wish someone else understood that feeling in the middle of the night when you finally figured out yet one more thing you could cut on you 'Bot. Well maybe you are not alone.
I would like to offer my facilities here in Ottawa, ON Canada to not just Canadians but all Shopbotters who would like to get some questions answered or just feel the comfort of not being wacked by yourself.
If you get an nervous twitch every time you start a part file because you can't recall setting the safe Z height, than you are invited and have joined the brotherhood (er um Sorry Diane, Sallye, Martha, Donna et al,) Sisterhood no no no Fraternity , yes that is better the fraternity of being a ShopBotter.
Our Facilities here at Against The Grain offer several Classrooms for break out discussions, a computer lab that we could use to show each other tricks and tips on different software programs, and of course a teaching workshop loaded with woodworking tools most importantly my ShopBot.
Ottawa, being Canada's National Capital offers some of the best accomadations and attractions available and is definatley a world class city. From our picturesque Rideau Canal to our Stately Parliament buildings your free time will be well spent.
With several hotels located withing blocks of our facility transportation is not important.

interested parties need to forward a yep to me at dale.kerr@sympatico.ca (mailto:dale.kerr@sympatico.ca) and if enough are interested I will organize a date.
Thanks
Dale

kerrazy
03-26-2003, 08:34 PM
Well response has been overwelming, even with other things happening in the world.

Dates will be August 22,23 and 24 for the "Made in Canada ShopBot Camp".

We have three ShopBotters in Ottawa alone and between the three of us and some help from ShopBot we will try to get a host of software, tool suppliers and some demonstrations on what we could do with our machines. Accomadations are close at hand as well.

Thanks, and see ya soon

Dale

kerrazy
05-07-2003, 07:28 AM
Ok just a reminder for the folks who didn't get an opportunity to attend the ShopBot Jamboree, A Made in Canada Camp ShopBot will hit Ottawa, On Canada On August 22,23,24. I will have a website up over the next couple of weeks that will allow you to make reservations for accomadations, see tourist sites and our facilities. I hope to have visitors from CADlink, as well as Delcam, MasterCam and local reps from BC Saw and Tool a Toronto based onsrud rep.
A large area will be set up for a Bring and Brag, which I am really looking forward to.

Friday the 22nd will be a welcome reception at about 7 pm with light refreshments and simple offering of snacks. While Saturday and Sunday will offer lunch for all attending.

The Cost for this event is your good spirit and wealth of ideas!

If you have not made it onto my mailing list please email me and I will be sure to add your name.

Keep your stick on the ice.
Dale

kerrazy
05-18-2003, 04:37 PM
Well here it is Folks.

What is the number one thing we make with our Shopbots?

Dust! So for information on the Canadian Camp ShopBot please go to www.makingdust.ca and snoop around.

Thanks
Dale

kerrazy
05-30-2003, 09:40 AM
please visit www.campshopbot.ca for latest news!!!

kerrazy
07-26-2003, 09:27 AM
For thase that are interested we still have about 10 spots open for the first Team Canada Camp ShopBOt coming up August 22,23 and 24th.

Bill Young and Bill Palumbo will be attending as well as representatives From ArtCam and Profile lab. And I amvigorously working on a rep from onsrud. We have 20 people registered already from newbies to old pros so shopuld prove to be a fun and very informative event.

Be sure to register as we will be closing registration on the 10 of august.

Cheers,
Dale

kerrazy
08-23-2003, 07:01 AM
Team Canada Camp ShopBot is under way!

About 20 people showed up last night for the kick off recption at heartwood house.
We enjoyed the company of Bill Palumbo and Brady Watson, joining us from New Jersey.
Paul from Micro Farms, joined us from Minnesota.
Our farthest distance goes to Charles Carter travelling from St. Phillips Newfoundland Canada.
The evening was a light affair in the Heartwood House Art Gallery where several pieces where on display and within secondds conversation erupted on techniques and material used.
Many people enjoyed the lithopane work Bill Palumbo brought and Brady Wowed us with some of his Metal work he created on his plasma cutter.
Today is a full agenda on 3D work, software demonstration and machine demonstrations.

Stay tuned for more.

gerald_d
08-23-2003, 07:29 AM
Have fun guys - I'm with you in spirit!

kerrazy
08-24-2003, 08:12 PM
Well the first Team Canada Camp ShopBot wrapped up at noon today.
And I am proud to say it was a huge success. Already considering plans for next years event.

We had about 30 people through the course of the weekend and Great information was gained by all participants.

James Booth from Delcam (ArtCam Insignia and ArtCam Pro) dazzled us with the amazing power of there software.
Bill Palumbo brought 3D graphics in a language we could all undersatnd...Thanks Bill.

Brett From BC Saw and tool reminded us that Chips were good and dust was bad. He gave us an excellent presentationon on tool usage and what tools to use for specific applications.

All participants went home with a piece or two of precision board so they can try it out for themselves. As well as Mouse Pads from ShopBot, T-Shirts from Cadlink and a host of information from 3D sights on the net, Tool catalogues and additional information on tools useful around the work shop.

All who attended ensured they took home Team Canada Camp shopbot t-Shirts to mark the occasion.

Some T-Shirts are still available for those interested they are $20.00 CAD plus shipping and sizes are Large and Extra Large.

A big Thanks to ShopBot in helping pull this together and thanks also goes out to all who attended.

Videos of the event will be available to those interested as well. Will and Paul from Micro Farms Captured video of the entire event and will have it available for those interested.

Thanks again
and talk real soon, Taking a week of holidays on the atlantic coast. Be back first week of september.

Dale Kerr
Against The Grain

billp
08-24-2003, 08:52 PM
Dale,
Great job in hosting the first Canadian Camp. I'll send in a few pix tomorrow, and I'm hoping some others will do the same...Bill P.

bjwat@comcast.net
08-24-2003, 11:03 PM
Yeah Dale, Nice Job!

It was great to meet you guys in Canada and see how the other half lives!

-Brady

Jeff B
08-25-2003, 09:59 AM
Thanks Dale for holding a great camp,I sure did learn alot about my machine and new ideas for finishing as well some great ideas from Bill. Again many thanks to all who contributed and I look forward to next year.

Jeff Banton

Mr.Stanfeild
08-26-2003, 05:30 AM
Dale you had a great showing and I was glad to be able to make it, I enjoyed Mr. Palumbo’s camps very much and did not have the opportunity make it to Mr.Forney’ camp but attended Mr. Lock’s camp.
You gentleman take the time to show us the methods and skills it takes to be one of you and I commend you all.
I cannot say I am a true shopbotter but I am willing to take the baby steps to get me there and am willing to do what it takes to get to a level to where I can be able to make a living.
The company I worked for just was sold out and I had the opportunity to buy the machine at a very good price and I and a friend are in the process of getting a building to make a go of it.
My question to all the great camps is we need some training and in a hurry.
After spending time on the camps that our company spent going to all the camps me and my partner came across the R&G training, we are in Texas not far from them, do you think it will be a good investment to call them or look for training elsewhere?.

Mr. Stanfeild
GM/Operations
Westfield Dist.

rgbrown@itexas.net
08-26-2003, 06:36 AM
Mr. Stanfield,

I tried to contact you by E-mail but, you don't have it. I could find only two refrences to "Westfield" and Texas in a Google search. One was to a Civil War ship and the other is a School or town near Houston.

If you were at the Texas CampBot, you had the opportunity to meet "Mr. R & G". He did not make a presentation on the first day but was scheduled to be there the second day. I think he did not show in that day.

I reget I can't remember meeting you at either Bill Palumbo's Camp or the one at Wayne Locke's place in Austin.

Ron Brown

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers

bjwat@comcast.net
08-26-2003, 07:56 AM
Hey Ron,
Are you going to come up to Bill's Camp this year? I met you before I had my Bot and remember that you had a lot of really good tips and tricks that I think would benefit a lot of people.

-------------

Mr. Stanfield,
If you can make it down to Bill's Camp this year, I am sure that it will be well worth your while. A lot of seasoned Shopbotters come to this event and the amount of information that is exchanged is great. It's like a mini Jamboree in that sense. What kind of training are you looking for? Software? Material holding?

-Brady

rgbrown@itexas.net
08-26-2003, 05:21 PM
Brady,

I just took a job - the first time I've worked for someone else in years, and am not sure I can take off. Right now I am "Botless" but I am working to cure the problem.

As usual, I have a whole bunch of things to try and see if these wild toolpaths I dream up actually WILL make the parts I intend them to make.

I'll have to look at resources and time to go to Bill P's meet. I will also need to ask my boss's permission. I think he is expecting me to work... Bosses are like that you know.

Ron

bjwat@comcast.net
08-26-2003, 11:12 PM
Ron...I'm shocked...Botless???

I hope that things turn around for you soon...You have too much talent to go back to the salt mines!

-Brady

Charles Carter
09-04-2003, 10:25 AM
Many thanks Dale for hosting the camp. I learned quite a bit and now lean towards owning a Shopbot.
I met a lot of "Botters" who were very helpful, as was yourself. It was well worth the trip. When I'm in Ottawa again I'll stop in and see you.

Regards
Charlie