PDA

View Full Version : Wandering depth of pocketed letters

Chuck Keysor
10-25-2014, 02:21 AM
Hello Shopbotters,,,,,,,,,, With the fall elections upon us, I finally volunteered to make some campaign signs for a good friend who is running for the Illinois House of Representatives. As the signs won't even need to last two weeks, I picked up OSB, 1/2" thick, and pocketed the text (3" tall letters), to a depth of 1/8th" using a 1/4" end mill.

The first few letters cut fine, at what later measured out at .135" depth. But after maybe 5 letters, the depth of cut decreased to .068". This was easy to see by eye that the depth of cut was shallow. And I went, oh no, my bit must be loose! However I let it keep running, since the job was more of rush, throw away sign. But as I watched, the depth changed back to .135", and then it got deeper, with some letters later measuring at .18" deep. On maybe 5 or 6 letters, the depth changes within individual letters! The cut gets deeper, towards the middle of the pocketed letter, almost like there is a ramping cut going on! But the cuts seemed to wander in depth.

The board is laying really flat on my table top, so warping, and moving of the stock up and down is not the problem.

When the sign was done (1 hour and 30 minutes), I moved the bit back to where I had zero'd it initially, and the bit was above the board by about .04"! And I tried to snug up the collet. I was able to tighten it a little, but it was really pretty tight. And with the bit ending up about .04" above the board, why would some of my pocket depths be .055" too deep???? I have never had such a problem! My cuts have always been the correct and consistent depth. I have never seen anything like this. I am confused!

I can post some pictures, tomorrow, as it is too late now. But all you will see is some letters that are shallow, some that are deep, and some that change depth within a single letter! Yikes!

Any ideas, beyond running the next piece with the collet even tighter?

Thanks, Chuck

barrowj
10-25-2014, 05:46 AM
You might try changing out the collet, I have been reading a good number of posts lately getting back up to speed after recently buying a used Shopbot and also going through the training by Shopbot and it has been mentioned many times that these should be replaced if you have more than 400 hours on them or for many other reasons including your issue. If you have any spares, I would try that first.

jerry_stanek
10-25-2014, 07:04 AM
OSB thickness varies a lot over it's surface.

kerrazy
10-27-2014, 10:57 AM
Osb is anything but consistent or flat.

As it is made up of chunks and slices of wood chips it is near impossible to maintain a constant thickness.

If you were to cut that sheet and mic it you would see a significant variation in depth.

Another surprising material to keep an eye on is acrylic there is a significant diference between cast and extruded as far as consistent thickness goes.

kerrazy
10-27-2014, 11:03 AM
And sorry to follow up my last comment, cast acrylic, while finishes nicer has a +/- of 15% in thickness tolerance. Doesn't seem like a lot until you are v carving small text in a $2-400.00 chunk.
Don't ask how I learned that lesson, it still stings all these years later. Lol