PDA

View Full Version : Blackbox Vac remote switch modification

jvosburg
10-27-2014, 01:42 PM
Hi all,

I recently purchased the Blackbox Hurricane vacuum system. Nice unit solidly built. However, I did find a need to make a small modification. The blower switches on the side required an awkward reach to use, so I added power relays and a small power supply to allow a remote location for the switches. It went pretty smooth, so I'd thought I'd share.

Component cost was about $40, not counting the vacuum gauge, wires, connectors, terminal block, etc. Jamco provided the major parts; 2 x P/N 2208147 power relays, 1 x P/N 1919051 power supply.

Wiring was very straightforward. The power relays even dropped into the same screw holes. Existing connectors are compatible so I just moved the wires/contacts one for one. A through terminal block provides a pair of contacts out to the relocated switches. The power supply provides the relay coil voltage. Since the switches are DPST I was able to wire the Secondary blower switch in series with one side of the Primary switch, so now the Secondary can't be turned on unless the Primary is also on.

A bunch of photos are at: workshop118.com, photos, Blackbox Vacuum for Shopbot. I've included one here of the new control panel. I made a simple PVC box for the switches and gauge and hung it on a leg of the Shopbot.

I've got Sketchup models of the Hurricane and the Shopbot table plumbing if someone is interested.

If you decide to replicate the modification, make sure you handle the Power wiring carefully, understand what you are doing, and ring things out before plugging back into the wall. No warranties expressed or implied. Also this likely voids any Hurricane warranty. I did ask the good folks at Blackbox if there was room in the unit for my proposed changes before purchasing the unit and they said it would be straightforward. They were right.

-Jeff

harryball
10-27-2014, 02:25 PM
Very nice Mod. I'll have to look at doing that.

/RB

jvosburg
10-28-2014, 12:19 PM
Updated the Picassa album to include a simple schematic. Nothing too formal, just a photo from my notebook.

Kyle Stapleton
10-28-2014, 12:39 PM
You do very nice work.
Love all the pictures of the shop.
What is the sqft?

jvosburg
10-29-2014, 03:53 PM
Hi,

2400 sq ft. It's a 30' wide "industrial condo". About 600 sf in the front is office.

Thanks.
Jeff

Kyle Stapleton
10-29-2014, 04:12 PM
Nice, like all the storage.